mxp
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi,
Is there a recommended maintenance event for this? My 2011 gen1 is almost 8 years old/65k miles. I never had an oil leak ever, and I am always at 4.0miles/kwh for the last 8 years.

Do I need to change this oil?

Thanks.

estomax wrote:some preliminary results are in over the last 3 weeks of driving and i seem to be settling in at 3.9 miles/kwh vs the 3.7 that i had averaged for the month and a half that i reset before that. Ambient temperatures here in the Seattle area have been about level.

this is obviously not very scientific but there are some single digit efficiency gains possibly to be had by swapping to the redline D6 fluid over stock fluid.

Marko

estomax
Delivery Date: 21 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 424033

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:43 pm

if you look at my pictures the oil was not terribly dirty at 44k. it is a preventative maintenance thing that won't hurt you, could help you, and gives you peace of mind that the reduction gear is wearing normally. Technically, Nissan does not require you to change this oil ever, only inspect.
2013 Leaf SL Premium
27k, 93% SoH 2/17 32k, 96% SoH 6/17
46k, 94% SoH 2/18 52k, 88% SoH 6/18

ericinor
Delivery Date: 29 Nov 2011
Leaf Number: 9149

Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:03 pm

Changed mine today at 84k miles (2011 Leaf), and the fluid was pitch black, with viscous goo on the magnets, but no apparent metallic particles. The OE crush washers (Nissan part 11026-4N200) measured ID=18mm, OD=25mm, 1.5mm thick. I replaced with copper gaskets from my local auto parts store that measured about ID=18mm, OD=27mm, 2.5mm thick. I replaced the OE Matic S with Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF. YMMV.

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:44 am

I just hit 50,000 miles. Maybe I should get an oil change. Any thoughts, instructions, on how to do that?
2013 SL SOLD :cry:
1972 VW Beetle SOLD :cry:
1984 VW Golf diesel CURRENT :x
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid CONTEMPLATING :shock:

dm33
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 am

You should never have to replace this oil. There are lots of lubricants all over a car that you don't need to change. This is one of them. Only if there's a leak. The notion of changing this oil is a left over from having an ICE. Doesn't apply. Likewise you don't need to change oil in the engine/motor. The bearings are lubricated for life unless there's an issue.

estomax
Delivery Date: 21 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 424033

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:42 pm

IssacZachary wrote:I just hit 50,000 miles. Maybe I should get an oil change. Any thoughts, instructions, on how to do that?

The first post in this thread is literally the instruction on how to do that. it won't hurt to change it, as a peace of mind.

dm33 wrote:You should never have to replace this oil. There are lots of lubricants all over a car that you don't need to change. This is one of them. Only if there's a leak. The notion of changing this oil is a left over from having an ICE. Doesn't apply. Likewise you don't need to change oil in the engine/motor. The bearings are lubricated for life unless there's an issue.

That is what Nissan says also, but comparing a transmission oil to an ICE transmission is where your argument falls apart. Both types cars have sealed transmissions. Nissan also says you never need to replace manual transmission oil with ICE cars. Most people who are mechanically inclined though will change gear oil because that beats changing out a transmission eventually and gives them a peace of mind. That is the whole purpose of this post, is to give the option to do so to those who want to.

cheers,
Marko
2013 Leaf SL Premium
27k, 93% SoH 2/17 32k, 96% SoH 6/17
46k, 94% SoH 2/18 52k, 88% SoH 6/18

NavyCuda
Delivery Date: 24 Jun 2015
Leaf Number: 329051

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:18 pm

dm33 wrote:You should never have to replace this oil. There are lots of lubricants all over a car that you don't need to change. This is one of them. Only if there's a leak. The notion of changing this oil is a left over from having an ICE. Doesn't apply. Likewise you don't need to change oil in the engine/motor. The bearings are lubricated for life unless there's an issue.

The maintenance schedule for my 2015 specifies 180,000km interval for the reduction gear oil change. I’ hoping to replace this car before then and let it be someone else’s problem. Just cracked 100,000km though.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:27 pm

estomax wrote:
IssacZachary wrote:I just hit 50,000 miles. Maybe I should get an oil change. Any thoughts, instructions, on how to do that?

The first post in this thread is literally the instruction on how to do that. it won't hurt to change it, as a peace of mind.

That is what Nissan says also, but comparing a transmission oil to an ICE transmission is where your argument falls apart. Both types cars have sealed transmissions. ...

And given the ease at which torque can be commanded at low speeds, I'd put that this gearbox may see heavier duty than those in many ICE vehicles.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

NavyCuda
Delivery Date: 24 Jun 2015
Leaf Number: 329051

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:23 am

Nubo wrote:
estomax wrote:

That is what Nissan says also, but comparing a transmission oil to an ICE transmission is where your argument falls apart. Both types cars have sealed transmissions. ...

And given the ease at which torque can be commanded at low speeds, I'd put that this gearbox may see heavier duty than those in many ICE vehicles.

The gears that are in there are very large for the application, they can’t be that heavily loaded.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:23 am

NavyCuda wrote:
Nubo wrote:
estomax wrote:

The gears that are in there are very large for the application...

Kind of supports my premise. :)
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”