Page 2 of 7

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:50 pm
by mxp
Hi,
Is there a recommended maintenance event for this? My 2011 gen1 is almost 8 years old/65k miles. I never had an oil leak ever, and I am always at 4.0miles/kwh for the last 8 years.

Do I need to change this oil?

Thanks.

estomax wrote:some preliminary results are in over the last 3 weeks of driving and i seem to be settling in at 3.9 miles/kwh vs the 3.7 that i had averaged for the month and a half that i reset before that. Ambient temperatures here in the Seattle area have been about level.

this is obviously not very scientific but there are some single digit efficiency gains possibly to be had by swapping to the redline D6 fluid over stock fluid.

Marko

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:43 pm
by estomax
if you look at my pictures the oil was not terribly dirty at 44k. it is a preventative maintenance thing that won't hurt you, could help you, and gives you peace of mind that the reduction gear is wearing normally. Technically, Nissan does not require you to change this oil ever, only inspect.

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:03 pm
by ericinor
Changed mine today at 84k miles (2011 Leaf), and the fluid was pitch black, with viscous goo on the magnets, but no apparent metallic particles. The OE crush washers (Nissan part 11026-4N200) measured ID=18mm, OD=25mm, 1.5mm thick. I replaced with copper gaskets from my local auto parts store that measured about ID=18mm, OD=27mm, 2.5mm thick. I replaced the OE Matic S with Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF. YMMV.
Image

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:44 am
by IssacZachary
I just hit 50,000 miles. Maybe I should get an oil change. Any thoughts, instructions, on how to do that?

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 am
by dm33
You should never have to replace this oil. There are lots of lubricants all over a car that you don't need to change. This is one of them. Only if there's a leak. The notion of changing this oil is a left over from having an ICE. Doesn't apply. Likewise you don't need to change oil in the engine/motor. The bearings are lubricated for life unless there's an issue.

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:42 pm
by estomax
IssacZachary wrote:I just hit 50,000 miles. Maybe I should get an oil change. Any thoughts, instructions, on how to do that?


The first post in this thread is literally the instruction on how to do that. it won't hurt to change it, as a peace of mind.

dm33 wrote:You should never have to replace this oil. There are lots of lubricants all over a car that you don't need to change. This is one of them. Only if there's a leak. The notion of changing this oil is a left over from having an ICE. Doesn't apply. Likewise you don't need to change oil in the engine/motor. The bearings are lubricated for life unless there's an issue.


That is what Nissan says also, but comparing a transmission oil to an ICE transmission is where your argument falls apart. Both types cars have sealed transmissions. Nissan also says you never need to replace manual transmission oil with ICE cars. Most people who are mechanically inclined though will change gear oil because that beats changing out a transmission eventually and gives them a peace of mind. That is the whole purpose of this post, is to give the option to do so to those who want to.

cheers,
Marko

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:18 pm
by NavyCuda
dm33 wrote:You should never have to replace this oil. There are lots of lubricants all over a car that you don't need to change. This is one of them. Only if there's a leak. The notion of changing this oil is a left over from having an ICE. Doesn't apply. Likewise you don't need to change oil in the engine/motor. The bearings are lubricated for life unless there's an issue.


The maintenance schedule for my 2015 specifies 180,000km interval for the reduction gear oil change. I’ hoping to replace this car before then and let it be someone else’s problem. Just cracked 100,000km though.

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:27 pm
by Nubo
estomax wrote:
IssacZachary wrote:I just hit 50,000 miles. Maybe I should get an oil change. Any thoughts, instructions, on how to do that?


The first post in this thread is literally the instruction on how to do that. it won't hurt to change it, as a peace of mind.

dm33 wrote:You should never have to replace this oil. There are lots of lubricants all over a car that you don't need to change. This is one of them. Only if there's a leak. The notion of changing this oil is a left over from having an ICE. Doesn't apply. Likewise you don't need to change oil in the engine/motor. The bearings are lubricated for life unless there's an issue.


That is what Nissan says also, but comparing a transmission oil to an ICE transmission is where your argument falls apart. Both types cars have sealed transmissions. ...


And given the ease at which torque can be commanded at low speeds, I'd put that this gearbox may see heavier duty than those in many ICE vehicles.

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:23 am
by NavyCuda
Nubo wrote:
estomax wrote:
IssacZachary wrote:I just hit 50,000 miles. Maybe I should get an oil change. Any thoughts, instructions, on how to do that?


The first post in this thread is literally the instruction on how to do that. it won't hurt to change it, as a peace of mind.

dm33 wrote:You should never have to replace this oil. There are lots of lubricants all over a car that you don't need to change. This is one of them. Only if there's a leak. The notion of changing this oil is a left over from having an ICE. Doesn't apply. Likewise you don't need to change oil in the engine/motor. The bearings are lubricated for life unless there's an issue.


That is what Nissan says also, but comparing a transmission oil to an ICE transmission is where your argument falls apart. Both types cars have sealed transmissions. ...


And given the ease at which torque can be commanded at low speeds, I'd put that this gearbox may see heavier duty than those in many ICE vehicles.


The gears that are in there are very large for the application, they can’t be that heavily loaded.

Re: How To: Reduction Gear Oil Change

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:23 am
by Nubo
NavyCuda wrote:
Nubo wrote:
estomax wrote:
The first post in this thread is literally the instruction on how to do that. it won't hurt to change it, as a peace of mind.



That is what Nissan says also, but comparing a transmission oil to an ICE transmission is where your argument falls apart. Both types cars have sealed transmissions. ...


And given the ease at which torque can be commanded at low speeds, I'd put that this gearbox may see heavier duty than those in many ICE vehicles.


The gears that are in there are very large for the application...


Kind of supports my premise. :)