Don't use Sandisk Cruiser USB sticks in the LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

On Black Friday 2010, I purchased two Sandisk Cruiser 16GB USB sticks at a good price. I was thinking about my LEAF and thought these USB sticks would be great for loading up some MP3 tunes for the car.

Fast forward to when I got my car...I tried various sticks in the car, and had no trouble with any of them. They all worked, from small to large. However, I'd had the car for about 10 days when I first tried the Cruiser USB stick.

After driving around, I heard a buzzing sound that sounded like a rattle from the center console / NAV screen. It really got my attention because the LEAF is so quiet, and I was originally disappointed that the car had developed a pretty good sized rattle. I was putting my hands all over the console and dash trying to figure out where the rattle was coming from.

Duh, it was coming from the Sandisk Cruiser stick and the whole sliding tip mechanism. Once I figured it out and put my hand on it, it would silence. I guess I could put some silicon sealer or super glue on it, but I think the better approach is just not to buy this type of USB stick for the LEAF. There's lots of USB fish in the sea, so to speak.

I have a couple of Flash Voyager sticks that are old favorites, and I think I'll stick with those.

RedRandy

Randy said:
On Black Friday 2010, I purchased two Sandisk Cruiser 16GB USB sticks at a good price. I was thinking about my LEAF and thought these USB sticks would be great for loading up some MP3 tunes for the car.

Fast forward to when I got my car...I tried various sticks in the car, and had no trouble with any of them. They all worked, from small to large. However, I'd had the car for about 10 days when I first tried the Cruiser USB stick.

After driving around, I heard a buzzing sound that sounded like a rattle from the center console / NAV screen. It really got my attention because the LEAF is so quiet, and I was originally disappointed that the car had developed a pretty good sized rattle. I was putting my hands all over the console and dash trying to figure out where the rattle was coming from.

Duh, it was coming from the Sandisk Cruiser stick and the whole sliding tip mechanism. Once I figured it out and put my hand on it, it would silence. I guess I could put some silicon sealer or super glue on it, but I think the better approach is just not to buy this type of USB stick for the LEAF. There's lots of USB fish in the sea, so to speak.

I have a couple of Flash Voyager sticks that are old favorites, and I think I'll stick with those.

RedRandy

I always break off all the external cases on any USB sticks, they are smaller and work fine and won't rattle.

Hi Chris,
I haven't tried that, but the manual does say not to use any extensions. I guess the main reason I haven't used it is because of where I'd put the cable and stick. There's not a real easy out-of-the way place to set them off to the side...

So, I just ended up using another stick.

I picked up one of these USB flash to use in my future Leaf because it is so small:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041O200O/ref=oss_product

Frank said:
I picked up one of these USB flash to use in my future Leaf because it is so small:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041O200O/ref=oss_product

Very cool! Thanks for that link as I have ordered one as well. It has no LED light on it which will be nice(the one I am using now has a blue LED on it and is annoying at night - I put electrical tape over it for now).

Randy said:
I haven't tried that, but the manual does say not to use any extensions.
They're probably concerned about the voltage drop. I use an extension (about 3 feet) on my workstation to get to the ports on the back of the computer and some USB sticks refuse to function, but if I plug them in directly they're just fine.

Here is a small USB drive if someone wants a 16GB for $17.99 shipped. Currently OOS, though.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch_v3.asp?scriteria=BA42051

BA42051b.jpg

evnow said:
Here is a small USB drive if someone wants a 16GB for $17.99 shipped. Currently OOS, though.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch_v3.asp?scriteria=BA42051

Priced at 45.99 when I clicked the link. :(

Back