How to turn off the automatic door locks?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A327

I just got a 2018 Leaf and am getting annoyed with the doors automatically locking when I drive. Or rather, my kids are getting annoyed when I have to drop them off and the doors are locked. Does anyone know how to turn it off? The manual says that it's one of the functions of the menu on the dash, but when I go to vehicle options/locks, there are only two options and neither of them controls the automatic locking. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Aaron

LeafSpy application allows you to modify the automatic lock and unlock functions.

I have mine set to unlock all doors when I put the car in park. The Nissan default is you must turn car off to automatically unlock the doors. Very annoying.

You need a smart phone and an inexpensive UBD-II adapter.

Search for LeafSpy. Application is inexpensive.

Here’s a screen shot of LeafSpy on my iPad.

7YQmjJxl.png

The service screen in LeafSpy also gives you other options. See below.

O1wDjGtl.png

Yes, NOW I remember. I was frustrated about not being able to make the change with the menu, but was being able to do it when I did the LeafSpy (Pro) pack reading last month.

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, NOW I remember. I was frustrated about not being able to make the change with the menu, and then being able to do it when I did the LeafSpy (Pro) pack reading last month.

Same here. When I bought my 2018 I called Nissan EV support and asked how to change door unlocks like it was on my 2015 where doors unlocked in park. They said it wasn’t possible due to safety issues.

Then I remembered that I used LeafSpy on my 2015 to make the change. Reread instructions in LeafSpy to activate the LeafSpy service menus page and Voila, now I just put car in park and doors unlock.

Love this forum and forum members.

Thank you! Though it feels odd to have to pay for something that should have been a part of the normal controls of the car.

Any recommendations on the adapter? The Leafspy description on the Itunes store recommends the LELink, and I found the updated LELink^2 on Amazon for $35. Is there a reason to buy that one over the $15 adapters?

Thanks,
Aaron

So can't you disable the stupid door locks by just pushing the unlock buttons in the correct sequence? Thats all I had to do to my '13 and '12, did it almost day one! Sure it might have been easier to use Leafspy but I didn't have it yet and buried in the manual they explained how to do it with no extra hardware needed.......did they remove that option :?

jjeff said:
So can't you disable the stupid door locks by just pushing the unlock buttons in the correct sequence? Thats all I had to do to my '13 and '12, did it almost day one! Sure it might have been easier to use Leafspy but I didn't have it yet and buried in the manual they explained how to do it with no extra hardware needed.......did they remove that option :?

I was wondering the same thing, but since I did it with LeafSpy I didn't investigate it further.

A327 said:
I just got a 2018 Leaf and am getting annoyed with the doors automatically locking when I drive. Or rather, my kids are getting annoyed when I have to drop them off and the doors are locked. Does anyone know how to turn it off? The manual says that it's one of the functions of the menu on the dash, but when I go to vehicle options/locks, there are only two options and neither of them controls the automatic locking. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Aaron

Sounds like people keep looking to have their perfect convenience preferences... Which is not possible, or smart.

Who cares that your kids do not like locked doors??? Are the parachuting out of the car while it is moving??

Locked doors is safety for children and I don't give a hoot what they think. All you need to do is put the car in Park, and hit the door unlock button...

jjeff said:

It appears that way. I tried the old method and nothing happened. I have to go back to the dealership for something next week so I might ask the service department if they can make the change for me.

Having the ability to modify Auto Unlock, headlight timer, etc is just an added benefit of LeafSpy.

LeafSpy ability to accurately determine remaining range at different speeds, ability to monitor HV battery health, accurately monitor battery temperature, detect poor battery cells etc are the real reasons I have it.

Plus if you have a Dropbox account you can retrieve all kinds of history.

It’sa great value.

A327 said:
jjeff said:

It appears that way. I tried the old method and nothing happened. I have to go back to the dealership for something next week so I might ask the service department if they can make the change for me.
I assume you tried this procedure within 20 seconds after turning the power switch on?

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=25579#p524003

A327 said:
Is there a reason to buy that one over the $15 adapters?

There are other adapters that work fine, but with the same name on the outside, they completely change to something incompatible on the inside.
Several with different names are actually the same.
My first one was about $5, and it worked fine with Android Bluetooth, but it was full height, so I bought a Konnwei KW903, when LeafSpy was recommending the KW902, which they no longer recommend.

For iOS, there is no Bluetooth, and the WiFi is a whole set of interoperability problems, so the BLE is preferred.

-- Clarence

Back