Your top tips and tricks for new LEAF owners

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENIAC

I thought we could each provide a few tips and tricks we have picked up to help out those just picking up their LEAFs. Here would be mine.

After you get your LEAF home, use a moist microfiber or cotton towel (not a paper towel which can scratch your cars surface) and check the body and windows for oily residue. If you find that on your car, hand wash it with a quality automobile soap ASAP. My dealership claimed my LEAF had been detailed and it did look nice. But I cleaned the windshield and noticed black oil on the towel. I then noticed oil spots on the car I quickly figured out the car was covered in a thin film of soot from all those ships going in and out of the port. My LEAF, as well as many others, sat at the port for many weeks. I suspect the dealership simply rinsed the car but didn't soap it down.

When you pick up your LEAF make sure you have the tech at the dealership setup your Carwings (bring your login password from your Carwings registration), Bluetooth phone, and Homelink (garage door, gate, etc). These things are only set up once and they can be tricky. The staff at the dealership have all been trained how to set this stuff up and can do it very quickly. By the way, the Homelink buttons, which are under the rear view mirror, take a bit of pressure to activate. So much so that you will keep knocking the mirror out of whack. So simply place your four fingers behind the mirror, to stabilize it, and press the desired button on the front of the mirror with your thumb.

Setting up radio stations is simple. Tune to a station you like and press and hold, for a few seconds, one of the six available preset channel slots on the right. The XM1, XM2, XM3, for example, doesn't mean frequencies it mean groups of six preset stations. So with XM you have 18. You could have a strategy for example where XM1 is all rock stations, XM2 is Jazz, and XM is comedy and talk. You can get the complete XM channel guide, as well as all your local radio station frequencies, from the Internet. That can save you time when setting up your stations.

The default on the NAV map is oriented to the direction you are traveling. I prefer to see a map oriented to north with an arrow indicating my direction. To set it up the NAV map to be oriented north – press the menu button <settings> <navigation> <map view> <map settings> <map orientation> <North up>.

I set my headlights to “auto”. When I arrive home and park in the garage, the LED headlights stay on (default is 45 seconds but according to the manual you can increase that up to 3 minutes) long enough to clearly see to connect the EVSE and to make my way into the house.

In California, you will need a copy of the DMV registration to claim your $5K rebate. It will be easier if you get that copy while at the dealership instead of having to take the registration off the window and copy it and then put it back on. As long as you're at it, it would also be easier for them to produce a xerox copy of your sales contract as well, since it is usually about 36" long (or so it seems).... :)

ENIAC said:
Setting up radio stations is simple. Tune to a station you like and press and hold, for a few seconds, one of the six available preset channel slots on the right. The XM1, XM2, XM3, for example, doesn't mean frequencies it mean groups of six preset stations. So with XM you have 18. You could have a strategy for example where XM1 is all rock stations, XM2 is Jazz, and XM is comedy and talk. You can get the complete XM channel guide, as well as all your local radio station frequencies, from the Internet. That can save you time when setting up your stations.

I just noticed today that if you're moving, you cannot specify new XM channel. IOW, you can use the SCAN feature, but to input channel 150 specifically, the number pad is greyed out while you're moving. A ridiculous safety feature, if you ask me.

If you find yourself on a steep hill and are concerned that the parking brake may not hold the car, you can click the parking brake twice to increase the parking brake force.

If you want to claim the San Joaquin $3000 rebate you need to apply BEFORE you buy the car and after you get a quote to set up a contract. Otherwise you won't get the rebate. This is not very clear from the documentation.

Page 4-12 in the LEAF Owners manual:
When the vehicle is in the ECO position, the climate control operates in the ECO mode which reduces the power consumption.

Let's say you are surfing the Internet for local events for the weekend. You find something you're interested in and you want to load the directions to the event into your LEAFs NAV. Here's what you do.

Have the events web page handy with the address.
On another browser tab, login to your LEAF owners web page which is http://www.nissanusa.com/owners/login
Click “VIEW LEAF STATUS”
At the bottom of the window click “Launch CARWINGS”
Select “Route Planner” from the menu bar
Click “Plan Your Route”
Type in your starting address, your home address, for example, and press “search”. When it returns, you must select your specific address and it will populate the field.
Enter your destination (copy/paste from directly from the events webpage) and press “search”. Again select the proper address it returns.
Press “Plan Your Route” and scroll down
When it returns press “Forward the route to navigation”
Enter a route name and press “transfer”
You should be returned a “Route has been forwarded to navigation”, press OK

Boot up your LEAF
press the MENU button (right side of NAV)
Press CARWINGS
Press All Information Feeds
Press Route Planner
Press 1 Route Plan 1
Press Map Voice button (right side of NAV) and you are ready to go!

To cancel the route
Press MENU button
Press Route
Press Cancel Route (if your aren't really going there yet)

I find this CARWINGS feature very handy and have used it many times. You can also save specific routes to your address book if you plan on using them again.

Regardless of the button you're using on the steering wheel, don't press it too hard or you'll honk the (anemic) horn!

This forgotten tip got me an angry glare from the commuter next to me on the highway when I hung up the phone after talking to my sister.....I pressed the button a bit too hard and honked at the guy!! I'm sure my laughter didn't help his feelings any. :twisted:

Jimmydreams said:
Regardless of the button you're using on the steering wheel, don't press it too hard or you'll honk the (anemic) horn!

This forgotten tip got me an angry glare from the commuter next to me on the highway when I hung up the phone after talking to my sister.....I pressed the button a bit too hard and honked at the guy!! I'm sure my laughter didn't help his feelings any. :twisted:

Surprised he didn't laugh when he heard the horn. Why does a small car = small horn?!?

For those of you in cold climates, the normal heater settings won't keep you warm, even if you preheat. The heater will only draw about 1.5 kw, and the cabin will get cold. But there is a workaround. If you bump the temperature control up to 80 or so and fan up to nearly max, the heater will draw 4 or 5 kw, and the car will warm back up. I tried it again this morning, with OAT around 25 deg. F actual, 15 indicated. It was getting COLD in the car with the temp set to 70, climate control on auto. Incidentally, this works in ECO mode, where I usually reside.

-Karl

kolmstead said:
For those of you in cold climates, the normal heater settings won't keep you warm, even if you preheat. The heater will only draw about 1.5 kw, and the cabin will get cold. But there is a workaround. If you bump the temperature control up to 80 or so and fan up to nearly max, the heater will draw 4 or 5 kw, and the car will warm back up. I tried it again this morning, with OAT around 25 deg. F actual, 15 indicated. It was getting COLD in the car with the temp set to 70, climate control on auto. Incidentally, this works in ECO mode, where I usually reside.

-Karl

ya noticed that. what i do is set temps to 90º till it warms up, then drop fan to 3 and temp to 75

If the LEAF status, from the owners webpage, is unresponsive (it's normally slow), such that refresh or climate control never responds, it could be you have actually been automatically logged out. There's no indication this has happened. Press logout and then login again. Refresh and climate control should now work properly.

If you press the timer defeat button in order to start charging immediately and then change your mind, you can stop charging with the button on the EVSE, pull the J1772 connector, reconnect, and the timer will be active again. You don't have to wait the fifteen minutes for the timer defeat to expire.

-Karl

ENIAC said:
If the LEAF status, from the owners webpage, is unresponsive (it's normally slow), such that refresh or climate control never responds, it could be you have actually been automatically logged out. There's no indication this has happened. Press logout and then login again. Refresh and climate control should now work properly.

great tip!!

kolmstead said:
I think the climate control power draw is reduced in ECO mode. We typically don't use ECO mode (short commute), and the heater draws 3-4 KW at "normal" settings (65-68 degF), at least until the cabin warms up.

Yes, you can make it draw more in ECO mode to get more heat, but the owners manual says that the climate control system normally runs in ECO mode when the car is in ECO mode...

Here's one I found out tonight. If you're concerned about driving too fast on the freeway, put in in ECO mode. There's a definite dip in throttle response between 60-65 MPH that makes it so you really have to try to go faster...

Back