Homemade cargo cover?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

be236

My Nissan LEAF 2017 S model doesnt come with cargo cover.

I saw some YouTube videos showing people just cutting a large cardbox box flat to-size and putting it where the cover should be...

I consider doing that... or just getting some empty large cardboard boxes with the top open and flipping them upside down for me to put my stuff (like the EVSE charger bag) in it, to hide it from prying eyes... though I'm afraid it would cause more attention for bad folks walking by and looking inside...

Thoughts?

I'd use something like the honeycomb plastic sheeting that real estate signs are made out of since it'll be more resistant to water and general wear and tear. In NZ it's called Corflute, not sure what it's called elsewhere. Otherwise, a thin sheet of plywood suitably trimmed in felt or some other fabric would be light enough, and even more resistant to damage.

Should be a fairly straight-forward DIY project.

I bit the bullet when I leased my '13 SV and bought one from the dealer's parts dept. Back then, only SL came with the cargo cover.

Since it wasn't part of the car I leased, I took it of and moved it to the used '13 SV I bought (which also didn't come with). It's the wrong color, but oh well. Maybe I'll try to swap w/someone someday.

I built one out of the 1/2" foam insulation board from Home Depot. Got the stuff with aluminum foil on both sides (radiant barrier). It's easy to make for the 2019 because the sides are straight back and it can be easily removed by just pulling it straight out to the rear, unlike the one in my 2015.

I cut it to size and then used Gorilla duct tape on all edges, to keep it from coming apart. Then painted the whole thing with PlastiDip to make it match the black interior of the car. It works great and was only about $20 to make. This is just the beta version. I'll use it to make the next one.

Since it's foam board, it doesn't hurt the forehead if you bump into it. Also, I haven't rigged up the pull cords or axis parts yet, so I just lift it up and slide it down in between the protruding axis pins and the support rail. It's light enough that it sits there, wedged in place... and out of the way.

If I like this well enough after the test period, I'll build the final version. If not, I'll order the real deal from some OEM company.

One other thing: I had a problem with my forehead hitting the one in my 2015 Leaf. It was a very hard and coarse material edge and it cut my head on a few occasions. I eventually got a roll of rubber edging, cut to length, and put two strips on the cover. It protected my forehead on numerous occasions and encounters with that stupid cover.

One other thing: I had a problem with my forehead hitting the one in my 2015 Leaf. It was a very hard and coarse material edge and it cut my head on a few occasions. I eventually got a roll of rubber edging, cut to length, and put two strips on the cover. It protected my forehead on numerous occasions and encounters with that stupid cover.

I use black foam pipe wrap tubing to protect the car door from a shelf in my garage. I think I'll try the smaller diameter stuff on the cargo cover edge.

LeftieBiker said:

I use black foam pipe wrap tubing to protect the car door from a shelf in my garage. I think I'll try the smaller diameter stuff on the cargo cover edge.

You could also try some "split loom" cable wrap. That should grab tightly enough without bothering with adhesive.

LeftieBiker said:
Is split loom cable wrap soft?

There are various kinds. Generally pliable. What would also make it protective is the larger radius spreading out any force of impact. 1/2 or maybe 3/4 inch might be good. Haven't tried it for this; just came to mind.

Nubo said:
LeftieBiker said:

You could also try some "split loom" cable wrap. That should grab tightly enough without bothering with adhesive.
If you don't mind the impact, just don't want to get cut, the most stylish solution is to use the door trim, available at an auto parts store, designed to attach to door edges and keep them from getting damaged when opened into other things. I've used that before, in similar situations, and it is very effective for keeping edges from breaking the skin. The stuff is very similar to grommet trim, but designed to go along a straight edge instead of curved.

If you don't mind the impact, just don't want to get cut, the most stylish solution is to use the door trim, available at an auto parts store, designed to attach to door edges and keep them from getting damaged when opened into other things. I've used that before, in similar situations, and it is very effective for keeping edges from breaking the skin. The stuff is very similar to grommet trim, but designed to go along a straight edge instead of curved.

Trim like that comes in multiple degrees of hardness, from actual metal to soft rubber. The softer versions should work.

Bought myself a full size spare wheel fitted with an asymetrical tread,it just fitted in nicely next to the bose speaker,my cable bag and bits and piecesI fit nicely in the center of the wheel.I cut down an old cover board from a toyota yaris hybrid and it fits on top leaving a lovely flat boot (trunk)I tried to post images but the img button dosnt seem to work.

To show an image, upload it to a hosting site like IMGUR (NOT Photobucket) and post the image url here. Then highlight the url and use the Image button that way.

Back