Power meter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo2ltr

This might go in the "duh" category but I just realized it a few days ago. It was so subtle and I never RTFM so I didn't notice it.

The "bubble" power meter on top of the dash shows power and regen using the white dots. That's pretty obvious. But it also shows "available" power and regen. When the pack is fully charged, regen is not available. You will notice the inner circles of the bubbles in the regen area are not illuminated. As the pack discharges and regen becomes available, the circles will illuminate indicating that regen level is available, and the white dot will go there if prompted.

The same thing occurs on the power side when you start to approach turtle mode. In turtle mode you'll only have 3 or 4 circles, which quickly dwindle to one.

80% is not an option for everyone so knowing when and at what level u can start regen is INVALUABLE!!

i have the advantage that i can pretty much roll thru the neighborhood so i purposefully drive slow and dont stop. the "perks" (its a struggle to find them!!) of being one of the few on the road at 5:30 AM.

on 100% i have to drive about 1½ miles before i get any regen options.

lately i have been timing the Leaf to only charge at 90+ % anyway. i am averaging hitting 100% about 1-2 times every 2 weeks or so.

the SO requires the SOC be 100% (she still has range anxiety despite having at least 15 miles of range left when returning home)

DaveinOlyWA said:
on 100% i have to drive about 1½ miles before i get any regen options.

Same here - I get one regen bubble by about the time I've driven 1.5 miles.

However, I haven't checked to see when I get beyond one bubble and start to see full regen, mostly because by the time another .5 miles has gone by I'm joining the freeway and cruising for ~8 miles before the next opportunity to slow/brake occurs.

turbo2ltr said:
As the pack discharges and regen becomes available, the circles will illuminate indicating that regen level is available, and the white dot will go there if prompted.
Nice to know. Thanks. Do the regen circles all become available at once or gradually increasing (one-at-a-time) as the pacl discharges further ?

From my foray into turtle this past week, I saw a reduction in power shortly before turtle mode turned on. I believe 5 or 6 circles lit. It then went to 4 circles and I got the turtle icon. I drove through my neighborhood maybe 1/3 mile and it was down to two circles as i was pulling into the garage. I sat in my garage messing with the laptop and it eventually went to zero circles (other than the "center" dot). I did not try to drive at that point as I was already in my garage and I was afraid if I pulled out, I wouldn't be able to get back in.

Excellent info, I'm watching the road and haven't had much opportunity to look at activity on the dash display. I could easily become fixated and pile it up into the next car. I'll have to get the wife to drive while I check it out.

Charged to 100% last night - showing 109 mile range in Eco mode. Carwings now says my driving skill is "good" or "silver" whatever that means. :)

My carwings online data updated almost instantly this morning after nothing the first couple days.

Out driving around. Down to one white bar. Will be tracking progress of the circles. Eating Olive Garden first. We c how it goes after my two dozen breadsticks!!

**edit**
ok, just pulled in. when the circles start disappearing they go fast. trip meter was at 67.6 when the first one went

68.2 for #2
68.4 for #3
68.8 for #4
69.2 for #5
69.5 for #6

after that i pulled in. had 3 power bars left. and finally got to Turtle mode (came on when i lost the 5th circle)

turbo2ltr said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
what was your recharge amount?? can you lend any credibility to the reputed 27 KWH battery pack?

I don't have a TED or separate meter so I have no way to tell.
Bummer. I don't have 220 so front have enough time to recharge before work. Put in 14 kwh which gives me just o er half a cbarge

Hellows! Since we talked about the Power Meter here, I was wondering if anyone has mapped the engine-power to the bubbles.

The only thing I was able to observe on my ZE0 so far is:
There are green 4 bubbles for regen and 10 white ones for GO.

4 green is 30KW regen
7 whites are 50kW
10 whites are 80KW
Going truck-speedTM (94kph-ish) is 2 whites, which is 10-ish KW and very economic.

Have I missed a document that talks about those? I found nothing nowhere. Do you know what the other bubbles are?

Cheers!
chris :)

"a search for "do the bars on the power meter represent watts" will bring you to a discussion of this...... your guesstimates are close to what others have posited.....

Back