Project Trunk Space

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeekEV

Hey guys, I thought I would share the results of my "Project Trunk Space" effort. Using some Sterilite 6 Qt. Shoe Boxes (13.75" x 8" x 5") and velcro purchased at my local Walmart, I was able to create some trunk storage space without taking up floor space.

5584489668_16a28f2d32_z.jpg

Put a strip of velcro on the close side of the trunk hump:
5583901039_6b25858040_z.jpg

Then put a matching strip on the bottom front of the box:
5583900617_463a2aa1f9_z.jpg

Also put a strip of the plastic (male) side of velcro on the top side of the lid, so that it sticks to the seat back:
5584003553_8ab11c1586_z.jpg

Lastly, carefully poke some slits through the lid and the top side of the box and run some kind of tie between them so the top of the box doesn't pop out from the lid as you accelerate:
5584002687_6c83dcdbb5_z.jpg

Then stick them all up on the hump with the lid facing the seats to help them stay closed. Total cost was less than ten bucks!

Enjoy!

P.S. Also note that you can slide some items such as a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher between the EVSE bag and the sidewall of the car and they'll stay pretty securely...

P.P.S. Please trim out the pictures when quoting and replying to this thread!

;) Excellent!! Thanks for sharing this. May do this when I get my Leaf.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Res: 4/20/10
Order: 11/19/10
Dashboard Delivery Projection: Month of May (Since wave of changes in Feb 11)
No change in dashboard or notification yet from Nissan post 03-11-2011
Ocean Blue, eTec

Great idea. Any estimate of how much weight you can put in each of the containers with them falling off?

This looked like a patentable idea.

I like this as well, I see you put an extension cord in a box if needed.

I will at one point after some thought of what to pack install what you put in myself. Thanks.

linkim said:
Any estimate of how much weight you can put in each of the containers with them falling off?
I haven't done any extensive testing yet, but they seem pretty stable. I'd guess you can probably get about 10 pounds or so in each.

Herm said:
Could you snap a picture with the seats folded down?.. showing the whole trunk area.
Here you go. Be advised, the Velcro will pull at the seat back and change the texture of the fabric there...

5585201535_f271a891aa_z.jpg

5585202261_d0a44c27f0_z.jpg

Back