Great Cleaning Product for Armrests

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azrich

Yesterday, I had my LEAF at the Green Fest in Tucson. I was to represent a LEAF owner. My PD had another LEAF next to mine to show people and to allow people to get in, etc. I was talking to a couple of people and turned to find a family with four young kids getting in the front passenger seat. I went to them to begin talking and directed them to the other LEAF. It was too late - a large glob of melted chocolate was already smeared on the armrest. Yuck!

When I got home I dabbed at the stain with a wet towel and was surprise with how much of it brushed off. I had Scotch Guarded the interior on day one. There was still a spot about the size of a nickel where the melted chocolate had soaked into the fabric. I assumed that would be there forever.

I used a product I had purchased just in case something like this happened, Scotch Gard OXY Carper & Fabric Spot Remover. (Purchased at Lowes.) I followed the directions making sure to let it soak for 5 minutes. When I went to blot and rub away the stain it almost disappeared before my eyes!! I gave it a second treatment, waited, and this time no trace was left of the stain. I waited an hour or so until it dried and wiped the armrest with a dry cloth. It looks like new!!!

These armrests made me a bit nervous, but I think I have found a product that will do the trick. On the back of the bottle they list stains that it will remove: red wine, food grease, lipstick, fruit juices, dirt, pet urine and other grosse pet stains, coffee, dirty motor oil, cola, mud, ketchup, and ink. Even though chocolate is not listed, it worked great on it.

Great to hear, Rich. If you're as careful with a new car as I am, I know that you felt just terrible about that stain.

Thanks for the tip. I've been thinking about Scotch Guarding the interior.

Has anyone heard anything advising against Scotch Guarding the interior of the LEAF?

I swear by Folex for all your upholstery and carpet cleaning needs:

http://www.folexcompany.com/

Available here in CA (and probably the same/similar places elsewhere in other States):

http://www.folexcompany.com/find_us_dbl.cfm

mwalsh said:
I swear by Folex for all your upholstery and carpet cleaning needs:

http://www.folexcompany.com/

Available here in CA (and probably the same/similar places elsewhere in other States):

http://www.folexcompany.com/find_us_dbl.cfm

+1 to Folex...though I'm sure the other stuff is good as well. I do think I'm gonna scotchguard. The converation with my 5yr old earlier today while he was eating went something like "I can't get in, it's locked". "I know" :twisted:

I just did a little research and found Folex uses benign/earth friendly ingredients, but Scotchgard Spot Remover has butoxyethanol which is toxic.

mwalsh said:
LEAFfan said:
I just did a little research and found Folex uses benign/earth friendly ingredients

Someone sent me a PM indicating that Folex may have had some culpability in harming his family's African Grey parrot. So some care when using it is apparently warranted.

Here is what the company says about Folex: Non-Toxic, completely non-irritating to normal skin
Non-Flammable, contains no solvents of any kind
Odor-Free, no unpleasant chemicals
CFC and Petroleum Free

So I'm curious what would be in it to harm Greys.

No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'
mwalsh said:
LEAFfan said:
I just did a little research and found Folex uses benign/earth friendly ingredients

Someone sent me a PM indicating that Folex may have had some culpability in harming his family's African Grey parrot. So some care when using it is apparently warranted.

LEAFfan said:

I'm not sure. But, coincidentally, my Dad has a Grey, so I'll be careful around it, just to be on the safe side. Or I could just go spray it in the face and see what happens (it's quite an evil bird, and we don't really get along :lol: ).

garygid said:
Has anybody tried/used/tested Folex on the LEAF seat or armrest (more fuzy) materials?

Yes, it works just fine.

What I normally do, even with carpeting (unless it's really, really dirty), is spray the Folex on a cloth and then apply the cloth to the stain. FYI...I've always used a white cloth, so there is no chance of any color transfer from the cloth to the material. Not that I've seen that happen, because then I always use a white cloth, so YMMV. ;)

The cloth is made from recycled soda bottles, probably PET plastic.. when is the last time you saw a coke bottle stained by anything?.. next time try using dihydrogen monoxide to clean it, but observe the usual precautions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate

"One of the uses for a recycled PET bottle is for the manufacture of polar fleece material. Among its many uses, companies such as English Retreads use the PET material to line their products. It can also make fiber for polyester products.

Because of the recyclability of PET and the relative abundance of post-consumer waste in the form of bottles, PET is rapidly gaining market share as a carpet fiber. Mohawk Industries released everSTRAND in 1999, a 100% post-consumer recycled content PET fiber. Since that time, more than 17 billion bottles have been recycled into carpet fiber.[4] Pharr Yarns, a supplier to numerous carpet manufacturers including Looptex, Dobbs Mills, and Berkshire Flooring,[5] produces a BCF (bulk continuous filament) PET carpet fiber containing a minimum of 25% post-consumer recycled content."

DeaneG said:
Oops, you might need a peroxide bleach-style cleaner for that.
My wife mentioned this on her Facebook page and more than one recommended hydrogen peroxide as the answer. I'll try it out first on a non-critical location and make sure it does nothing untoward to the fabric.

Birds have notoriously sensitive respiratory systems, I would not be spraying any chemical around them, no matter how natural it is.

mwalsh said:
LEAFfan said:

I'm not sure. But, coincidentally, my Dad has a Grey, so I'll be careful around it, just to be on the safe side. Or I could just go spray it in the face and see what happens (it's quite an evil bird, and we don't really get along :lol: ).

Many birds are particularly sensitive to PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene) aka Teflon--it can be extremely toxic to them. If you have birds be sure your fabric protectant does not contain this chemical.

Back