DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Re: Put some air in those tires!

Mon May 23, 2011 9:41 pm

blorg wrote:
ecoobsessive wrote:My dealer put Nitrogen in the tires and I'm guessing that's a good thing. Any thoughts about that?

I put nitrogen in my tires as well. At a blend of about 80% ;) I get that for free with my own air compressor. Hopefully your dealer isn't charging extra for that service.

Ditto. I'm rockin' 80% from my air compressor and as long as your dealer doesn't charge extra it's not a bad thing. :D
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Mon May 23, 2011 9:58 pm

The benefit of a "nitrogen" fill is that the gas is (should be) "dry" (water free).
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Mon May 23, 2011 11:15 pm

I've always put nitrogen in my tires. Actually, a mixture of about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% argon. :lol:

I had heard that putting in pure nitrogen made the tires lose pressure more slowly, but that must be nonsense, since a molecule of nitrogen has less mass than a molecule of oxygen. If any molecules are going to leak out, surely the nitrogen would be more likely to do it than the oxygen.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

Smidge204

Tue May 24, 2011 4:21 am

planet4ever wrote:I had heard that putting in pure nitrogen made the tires lose pressure more slowly, but that must be nonsense, since a molecule of nitrogen has less mass than a molecule of oxygen.

Mass isn't what's important - molecule size is.

Diatomic nitrogen is 3.16 Angstroms long. Diatomic oxygen is 2.96 Angstroms long. The idea is that, since nitrogen gas is slightly larger, it leaks out slower. If this claim were true, we would expect the air in the tire to eventually become almost pure Nitrogen anyway. Repeated refilling with normal compressed air would, over time, result in relatively pure nitrogen inside the tire as the oxygen leaks out. You would probably need a new tire from wear before you see any benefit.
=Smidge=

Leaf1
Delivery Date: 16 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 017855

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:00 pm

This morning I used the Easy Fill Tire Alert (page 5-4 of the owners manual) built into the car when filling the tires with air. It works perfectly by signaling when you reach the 36 psi for each tire with a beep from the horn. I was very impressed that it worked so well. Maybe this is a common capability on cars these days but the Leaf is the first car I have had with this. Another nice surprise on a great car.
Is this common on other cars?

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:12 pm

Leaf1 wrote:This morning I used the Easy Fill Tire Alert (page 5-4 of the owners manual) built into the car when filling the tires with air. It works perfectly by signaling when you reach the 36 psi for each tire with a beep from the horn. I was very impressed that it worked so well. Maybe this is a common capability on cars these days but the Leaf is the first car I have had with this. Another nice surprise on a great car.

i am sure its that way with other cars just dont know about any of them (above my pay grade...)
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 27,000 miles.363GID Ahr 79.13Hx95.17%kwh28.1QCs238,L2's 251
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ztanos

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:28 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Leaf1 wrote:This morning I used the Easy Fill Tire Alert (page 5-4 of the owners manual) built into the car when filling the tires with air. It works perfectly by signaling when you reach the 36 psi for each tire with a beep from the horn. I was very impressed that it worked so well. Maybe this is a common capability on cars these days but the Leaf is the first car I have had with this. Another nice surprise on a great car.

i am sure its that way with other cars just dont know about any of them (above my pay grade...)

I didn't know the LEAF had this. There is an Altima commercial about this and thought it was neat.

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:50 am

OhmPah wrote:Some anecdotal evidence on the effect of tire pressure:

We have a camper-van that we use for vacations. I purchased new tires for it and for some insane reason, they pumped up the tires the the maximum pressure on the sidewall. I should have checked the pressures myself, but I was in a hurry to get going. It drove just fine around town, but it became terrifying in a crosswind on the highway. Once I set the pressure to the correct values per the manufacturer's recommendations, the cross-wind problem went away. Now I know this is a full size van and not a Leaf, but it was a lesson to me. If the higher tire pressures result in any loss of performance (stability or breaking), its not worth, at least to me, the extra advantage that would be gained in efficiency.

The LRR tires are different from regular tires. If you over inflate regular tires, you lose control and they wear more in the middle. Going 5 lbs. over with LLRs actually helps them wear better and the control / safety is maintained.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

EVDRIVER

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:53 am

LEAFfan wrote:

We have a camper-van that we use for vacations. I purchased new tires for it and for some insane reason, they pumped up the tires the the maximum pressure on the sidewall. I should have checked the pressures myself, but I was in a hurry to get going. It drove just fine around town, but it became terrifying in a crosswind on the highway. Once I set the pressure to the correct values per the manufacturer's recommendations, the cross-wind problem went away. Now I know this is a full size van and not a Leaf, but it was a lesson to me. If the higher tire pressures result in any loss of performance (stability or breaking), its not worth, at least to me, the extra advantage that would be gained in efficiency.

The LRR tires are different from regular tires. If you over inflate regular tires, you lose control and they wear more in the middle. Going 5 lbs. over with LLRs actually helps them wear better and the control / safety is maintained.

Running 50.

thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:04 am

LEAFfan wrote:

going 5 pounds OVER what?
the sidewall max or the recommended inflation level?
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

Return to “Tips & Tricks”