thankyouOB
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442

Re: Put some air in those tires!

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:06 am

EVDRIVER wrote:
LEAFfan wrote:
OhmPah wrote:Some anecdotal evidence on the effect of tire pressure:

We have a camper-van that we use for vacations. I purchased new tires for it and for some insane reason, they pumped up the tires the the maximum pressure on the sidewall. I should have checked the pressures myself, but I was in a hurry to get going. It drove just fine around town, but it became terrifying in a crosswind on the highway. Once I set the pressure to the correct values per the manufacturer's recommendations, the cross-wind problem went away. Now I know this is a full size van and not a Leaf, but it was a lesson to me. If the higher tire pressures result in any loss of performance (stability or breaking), its not worth, at least to me, the extra advantage that would be gained in efficiency.

The LRR tires are different from regular tires. If you over inflate regular tires, you lose control and they wear more in the middle. Going 5 lbs. over with LLRs actually helps them wear better and the control / safety is maintained.

Running 50.

on mxv4s?
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:15 am

thankyouOB wrote:
LEAFfan wrote:
OhmPah wrote:Some anecdotal evidence on the effect of tire pressure:

We have a camper-van that we use for vacations. I purchased new tires for it and for some insane reason, they pumped up the tires the the maximum pressure on the sidewall. I should have checked the pressures myself, but I was in a hurry to get going. It drove just fine around town, but it became terrifying in a crosswind on the highway. Once I set the pressure to the correct values per the manufacturer's recommendations, the cross-wind problem went away. Now I know this is a full size van and not a Leaf, but it was a lesson to me. If the higher tire pressures result in any loss of performance (stability or breaking), its not worth, at least to me, the extra advantage that would be gained in efficiency.

The LRR tires are different from regular tires. If you over inflate regular tires, you lose control and they wear more in the middle. Going 5 lbs. over with LLRs actually helps them wear better and the control / safety is maintained.

going 5 pounds OVER what?
the sidewall max or the recommended inflation level?

We've had this discussion sometime ago, but maybe you missed it. The recommended pressure is 36 on our OEMs. I've yet to hear any expert recommend or say it's safe to go more than 5 over the car's stated pressure (sticker inside door).
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:21 am

LEAFfan wrote:We've had this discussion sometime ago, but maybe you missed it. The recommended pressure is 36 on our OEMs. I've yet to hear any expert recommend or say it's safe to go more than 5 over the car's stated pressure (sticker inside door).

The tire manufacturer has a maximum recommendation of 44 psi on the OEM tires for the Leaf. You don't get any more expert than the company that made the product.
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:31 am

DarkStar wrote:
LEAFfan wrote:We've had this discussion sometime ago, but maybe you missed it. The recommended pressure is 36 on our OEMs. I've yet to hear any expert recommend or say it's safe to go more than 5 over the car's stated pressure (sticker inside door).

The tire manufacturer has a maximum recommendation of 44 psi on the OEM tires for the Leaf. You don't get any more expert than the company that made the product.

That's not the LEAF manufacturer's recommendation. The max on the sidewall doesn't mean it's necessarily safe for the LEAF.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:37 am

This has been discussed ad-infirm-nauseam many times before. The pressure on the sidewall of ANY tire is NOT the recommended operational pressure for that tire on that vehicle, it is the maximum pressure at which the tire has been tested and can be safely operated. LRR tires are absolutely no different in this regard.

DarkStar wrote:The tire manufacturer has a maximum recommendation of 44 psi on the OEM tires for the Leaf. You don't get any more expert than the company that made the product.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

Christopher
Delivery Date: 04 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1407

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:16 am

TomT wrote:This has been discussed ad-infirm-nauseam many times before. The pressure on the sidewall of ANY tire is NOT the recommended operational pressure for that tire on that vehicle, it is the maximum pressure at which the tire has been tested and can be safely operated.

DarkStar wrote:The tire manufacturer has a maximum recommendation of 44 psi on the OEM tires for the Leaf. You don't get any more expert than the company that made the product.

Heh, yes, or put another way, do what your expert (the tire manufacturer) tells you to do – to follow the vehicle manufacturer's recommended tire pressures!

Besides, how would any tire manufacturer be able to give you one number as the recommended tire pressure for every vehicle from every automobile manufacturer?! That's why they can only give you a max for the tire, not the best recommended pressure for every vehicle. Let the car manufacturer tell you what tire pressure (front and back) is recommended for each of their specific vehicles. Sure, that doesn't take into account differences in tires, but what are you going to do, just run at max allowable?! Nuts! ;-)

DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:22 pm

TomT wrote:This has been discussed ad-infirm-nauseam many times before. The pressure on the sidewall of ANY tire is NOT the recommended operational pressure for that tire on that vehicle, it is the maximum pressure at which the tire has been tested and can be safely operated. LRR tires are absolutely no different in this regard.

Nissan recommends 36 psi from a comfort perspective, not a safety perspective. A tire is only considered "over-inflated" if it is inflated above the tire manufacturers direction, not the vehicle manufacturer.
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:02 pm

I run 44 psi on the ecopias and I feel the handling is improved.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:29 pm

Which is exactly the point. 44 pounds is the absolute maximum for the OEM Ecrapias. Going above 44 is dangerous and fool-hearty. Some people may like 44, others may not like the decrease in ride comfort at that pressure. It should be noted though that the decrease in rolling resistance - like hydroplaning - is roughly equal to the square of the tire pressure. Thus, going from 36 to 40 has more effect than going from 40 to 44. And being under-inflated at 32 has still that much more effect compared to 36. Historically, I've always run 4 pounds over the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation as a good over-all compromise...

That said, I do believe that the Leaf is under-tired for its weight...

DarkStar wrote:Nissan recommends 36 psi from a comfort perspective, not a safety perspective. A tire is only considered "over-inflated" if it is inflated above the tire manufacturers direction, not the vehicle manufacturer.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

SoCalFlyer
Delivery Date: 03 Mar 2013

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:18 am

Running 47 front and rear...... Works fine for me...perfectly safe....might know a tire engineer or two ;)
2013 S

Return to “Tips & Tricks”