Remove the Back Headrests = Better Rear View

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkStar

If you rarely have anyone in your back seat, remove those rear headrests and throw them in the trunk!

Looking in my rear view mirror last night I decided I would have a much better view of rear traffic if those headrests weren't in the way. When I got home I threw them in the trunk and on today's commute it was like night and day!

From a safety aspect, if you have anyone in your rear seat whose head comes above the top of the seat, the headrest needs to be installed. Removal and installation is quick and easy, just fold the seat part-way forward and use the latch to remove or install the headrest.

+1

I've had them off since the first day I got the car. Makes a big difference. I very rarely carry passengers (I have no friends, lol) but I keep them in the back just in case.

Great tip! Since I will be the sole occupant 75% of the time, and will have one passenger riding shotgun the other 25% of the time, I will do this as soon as I take delivery.

How well does it work to just fold one or both back seats all the way down towards the front? Does this provide any advantages/disadvantages for storage?

mogur said:
Yep, they went in a bag and up on the shelf the day I received the car!

DarkStar said:
If you rarely have anyone in your back seat, remove those rear headrests and throw them in the trunk!

I did the same thing as soon as I got the car home on the first day....really a no-brainer.

MikeD said:
How well does it work to just fold one or both back seats all the way down towards the front? Does this provide any advantages/disadvantages for storage?
The only issue that may come up depends on how far back you put your front seat. I found that my natural driver seat position allowed that side of the rear seat to fold down without issues, however my wife likes a bit more leg-room in the front and the rear seat wouldn't fold down (the headrest hit the back of the seat).

Does anyone have the part numbers for the smaller UK Nissan Leaf headrests? How much $ would a pair cost?

Thx.

Just fold the rear seat backs forward, it's quick and simple to do from driver side rear door.
You can quickly put them back up when you need rear seats.
I leave them down most of the time covered with a furniture moving blanket to protect them. This is also convenient to carry my electric R/C airplanes to the park every chance i get.

My rear headrests were gone the day I got the car! They now live in a plastic bag in the storage closet. I also discovered that, depending on how far back the front seats are, the rear seats will sometimes not fold flat if the rear head rests are in place without hitting the back of the front seats...

garygid said:
Rotate Rear Headrests with one support in place, for much better visibility ...
for Geeks! :D

Nice tip Gary. I did this and it does work great. I had removed them at first, but I think this is a better solution for long term storage of the headrests. I tried them a couple of different ways, but in the end I have them facing the normal direction but I put the inside leg into the outside hole. The outside leg is behind the seat between the seat-back and the trunk cover. The headrest rubs the side of the car when raising the seat-back, but I don't intend to lower them often so I don't believe this will be a problem.

20110629-020228.jpg

20110629-020238.jpg

Back