User avatar
OilFreedom
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 2:45 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (Carmel Valley)

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Sat May 14, 2011 4:23 pm

Did you discover where the "Approaching Vehicle Sound for Pedestrians" sound is coming from? Based on the recordings I've heard (still waiting for my Leaf), I would not expect those sounds to come out of the regular horn.
4.33 kW AC PV System... Bye, bye, oil, and shine, baby, shine!

User avatar
OilFreedom
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 2:45 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (Carmel Valley)

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Sat May 14, 2011 5:23 pm

Herm wrote:There is a thread on the forum about a replacement, do a search. A loud horn is an important safety device.. I dont care if it bothers people, I seldom use it.

Thanks for the lead, Herm. I found it.

Here it is for anyone else interested: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1602. I picked out the replacement horn I want, plus posted a few more options in the other thread. ;)
Last edited by OilFreedom on Sat May 14, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4.33 kW AC PV System... Bye, bye, oil, and shine, baby, shine!

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11320
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Sat May 14, 2011 5:26 pm

Sticky.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to ?
Volt : 3/25/2017 to ?

downeykp
Forum Supporter
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:11 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1931
Location: Keaau, HI

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Sat May 14, 2011 8:46 pm

Tony, please post when you have figured out a good way to mount a tire in the unused tire well. Mahalo.
2011 Black Leaf SL+QC Vin. 1931
Res. 6-14-10 Order 1-25-11
EVSE: Mod'd Ver. 2 Nissan L1
Delivered 5-31-11

67 Months 25600mi. 10 bars

39 Suniva panels 10.3kw with Enphase micro inverters my electricity cost $21.87 a month.

User avatar
Randy
Moderator
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:29 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Sat May 14, 2011 9:15 pm

OilFreedom wrote:Did you discover where the "Approaching Vehicle Sound for Pedestrians" sound is coming from? Based on the recordings I've heard (still waiting for my Leaf), I would not expect those sounds to come out of the regular horn.


There is a speaker under the hood down low on the driver's side that plays the VSP sound, as well as the backup sound and some of the charging beeps....

User avatar
OilFreedom
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 2:45 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (Carmel Valley)

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Sun May 15, 2011 12:52 am

Randy wrote:There is a speaker under the hood down low on the driver's side that plays the VSP sound, as well as the backup sound and some of the charging beeps....

Thanks, Randy. I'll check that out the next time I get to peek under the hood of a Leaf.
4.33 kW AC PV System... Bye, bye, oil, and shine, baby, shine!

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 9970
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Sun May 15, 2011 1:00 am

downeykp wrote:Tony, please post when you have figured out a good way to mount a tire in the unused tire well. Mahalo.



Just bought a new Altima spare (space saver) tire/wheel.

Tire is 135/90/16

Wheel is HEAVY steel, 16x4, 5 lug holes, 4.5 inch / 114.3mm bolt pattern. Not sure of the offset.

Also, got the Altima jack and lug wrench.

I'd sure like to find a lightweight aluminum wheel in that size.

I'll start a new thread when I get this further along.

RuneW
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:42 am
Delivery Date: 19 Apr 2011
Location: Norway

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Sun May 15, 2011 1:14 am

TonyWilliams wrote:A 12 volt horn, within the limits of circuit loading (wire size, fuse size) will work. I'll guess just about any horn you'd want to mount.


I guess - as long you don't use something like this...:

Image

I'm not convinced that these can be made to chirp ;)

edatoakrun
Posts: 4206
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Sun May 15, 2011 7:30 am

TonyWilliams wrote:
downeykp wrote:Tony, please post when you have figured out a good way to mount a tire in the unused tire well. Mahalo.



Just bought a new Altima spare (space saver) tire/wheel.

Tire is 135/90/16

Wheel is HEAVY steel, 16x4, 5 lug holes, 4.5 inch / 114.3mm bolt pattern. Not sure of the offset.

Also, got the Altima jack and lug wrench.

I'd sure like to find a lightweight aluminum wheel in that size.

I'll start a new thread when I get this further along.


Please do.

A real design flaw, IMO, for Nissan not to offer an (optional) spare location.

Are you are talking about accessing the spare from the underside?

So, would you need to jack up the car, to access the spare?
no condition is permanent

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Posts: 5778
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Sun May 15, 2011 7:35 am

I would not call it a design flaw but smart weight reduction, since the car is likely to alway be near some services and only has a sub 100 mile range having a spare only adds much weight and additional cost. I have never owned and EV with a spare.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”