Page 4 of 9

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:16 am
by LKK
Boy, eliminate the ICE and things sure appear to be cleaner.

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:18 am
by TonyWilliams
Herm wrote:Electric motors have very high instantaneous torque, you dont want to shear a motor shaft or break a motor mount, so they engineer for it. The battery pack looks huge in the pictures.. how about going back and adding some pointers to the pictures?

Ya, I get the torque thing. There are plenty of gas engines with WAY more torque, and not such massive motor mounts. These things are giant rubber-ish mounts, presumably to isolate some vibration. The rear mount has "tuning" weights on it (I presume that's what those are) for, perhaps, some harmonic frequency that they're trying to numb out.

I could add pointers. Probably not today.

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:20 am
by TonyWilliams
downeykp wrote:Are you saying that there is a place to put a spare tire? Is it easily accessible? Or is it under the cover you took off? That would be advantageous to those of us looking for a place to put one.

There is NOT a factory installed place to mount a spare tire. I intend to build one, and if that is successful (by my standard), I may offer it as a manufactured product.

But, primarily, first and foremost, I'm building it for me :twisted:

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:27 am
by OilFreedom
Great tour, info, and photos! Thanks TonyWilliams!

Haven't heard a factory Leaf horn yet. If it sounds econobox, then I'll want to replace it too. The horn on my Acura TL is great, but I'm not sure if they're interchangeable. Maybe I'll swap them! :lol:

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:32 pm
by TonyWilliams
OilFreedom wrote:Great tour, info, and photos! Thanks TonyWilliams!

Haven't heard a factory Leaf horn yet. If it sounds econobox, then I'll want to replace it too. The horn on my Acura TL is great, but I'm not sure if they're interchangeable. Maybe I'll swap them! :lol:

A horn is a horn is a horn.

It's held on with one bolt and one wire for power. Obviously, there's a limit to the current draw on that tiny wire, so you might have to upgrade the wire to match your new horn.

Simple swap, though.

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:53 pm
by occ
Nice set of pics Tony. Thanks. Imagine how clean all this will still look after 5 yrs sans oil muck like the "old" technology.

I'm interested in the hardware for the spare tire. Please post pics when you get there. Also willing to purchase any such hardware.

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:16 pm
by Herm
TonyWilliams wrote: Ya, I get the torque thing. There are plenty of gas engines with WAY more torque, and not such massive motor mounts. These things are giant rubber-ish mounts, presumably to isolate some vibration. The rear mount has "tuning" weights on it (I presume that's what those are) for, perhaps, some harmonic frequency that they're trying to numb out.
Its not really the amount of torque but how fast it comes on, fast enough to shear the shaft in many motors.. usually its ameliorated by the software and hardware, perhaps the mount size is for failsafe reasons, same as the size of the brakes in the Leaf.

Its seems like they do it to isolate motor whining, from what you describe... thats a function of the inverter's AC waveform frequency.. usually you try to design it above the human hearing range, but perhaps other parameters prevent that. The inverter makes the coils in the motor vibrate, making sound.

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:19 pm
by Herm
OilFreedom wrote: Haven't heard a factory Leaf horn yet. If it sounds econobox, then I'll want to replace it too. The horn on my Acura TL is great, but I'm not sure if they're interchangeable. Maybe I'll swap them! :lol:
There is a thread on the forum about a replacement, do a search. A loud horn is an important safety device.. I dont care if it bothers people, I seldom use it.

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:56 pm
by RuneW
TonyWilliams wrote:
OilFreedom wrote:A horn is a horn is a horn.
The manual mentions the horn being used (chirping) to confirm different actions (related to locking/activating the alarm it seems). I don't have a Leaf myself so I'm wondering about this chirping stuff. Is the (main) horn really used for these confirmation sounds? And if so, is a horn a horn (a horn)? Can "any" horn be used?

From where I'm from the security system always have their own horn doing the chirping.

Re: Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:07 pm
by TonyWilliams
RuneW wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:
OilFreedom wrote:A horn is a horn is a horn.
The manual mentions the horn being used (chirping) to confirm different actions (related to locking/activating the alarm it seems). I don't have a Leaf myself so I'm wondering about this chirping stuff. Is the (main) horn really used for these confirmation sounds? And if so, is a horn a horn (a horn)? Can "any" horn be used?

From where I'm from the security system always have their own horn doing the chirping.

Sure, if the horn is connected to the "chirp" circuit, that's what's going to make noise.

A 12 volt horn, within the limits of circuit loading (wire size, fuse size) will work. I'll guess just about any horn you'd want to mount.