Changing Charge % after Starting Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FYI:
Started charging with the timer set to 100% charge. Changed timer to 80% while still charging (and still below 80%). Car ignored the change and kept charging past 80%. I assume this would happen if the reverse was true, i.e. 80% changed to 100%.
It is a computer isn't it!

I had the same thing happen the other night, then I reprogrammed and realized how easy it is to not save and then accept the changes, a two step process. I have yet to try changing it again while charging and making certain I did it correctly. can anyone confirm.

I would love to be able to set it to 80% and be able to "boost" to 100% through car wings, if my plans changed and I needed the extra range.

g

GaslessInSeattle said:
I would love to be able to set it to 80% and be able to "boost" to 100% through car wings, if my plans changed and I needed the extra range.
Have you tried it? I know the "Start Charging" button is active even when a charge is in progress, I was playing with this last night. It might have the same effect as pushing the timer override in the car.

91040 said:
FYI:
Started charging with the timer set to 100% charge. Changed timer to 80% while still charging (and still below 80%). Car ignored the change and kept charging past 80%. I assume this would happen if the reverse was true, i.e. 80% changed to 100%.
It is a computer isn't it!
Yes I have changed timer settings and it does not seem to update real time. Update is next day, possibly next time Leaf is plugged in.

You'll probably have to stop charging, disconnect, reprogram for 80%, then reconnect. This way it'll start a new cycle with the new timer settings.

davewill said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
Have you tried it? I know the "Start Charging" button is active even when a charge is in progress, I was playing with this last night. It might have the same effect as pushing the timer override in the car.
I think I accidently pushed the start charging button on carwings and it charged to about 95% by the morning when I left.
I have not delibrately done this to actually check.

GaslessInSeattle said:
I had the same thing happen the other night, then I reprogrammed and realized how easy it is to not save and then accept the changes, a two step process. I have yet to try changing it again while charging and making certain I did it correctly. can anyone confirm.

g
I am sure that I saved the change of % correctly when the car ignored the change while charging. It seems necessary to cancel and restart the charge after logging the change, for it to take effect.

Just charged to 80%, using the timer. After the charge stopped, I restarted charging with the "start charge" button in Carwings™. Car is now charging to 100%.

91040 said:
Just charged to 80%, using the timer. After the charge stopped, I restarted charging with the "start charge" button in Carwings™. Car is now charging to 100%.

Well, when carwings is up and running again I'll have to try that. I like the idea that "start charge" is the way to boost to 100% on the fly, I can see that coming in handy on occasion. did using the "start charing" change the timer to 100% or did it go to 100% just for that charge?
thanks,
g

91040 said:
GaslessInSeattle said:

g
I am sure that I saved the change of % correctly when the car ignored the change while charging. It seems necessary to cancel and restart the charge after logging the change, for it to take effect.

In this case, the Carwings "start charge" button acted like the Immediate Charge Switch in the car. It did not affect the timer settings.

I have not tried using the Carwings "start charge" button when below 80% charge. Not sure whether the car would obey the timer setting of 80% or charge to 100%.

I have tested this and can report back. I have a charge timer set to only charge to 80%. The charge timer had started for the night but I wanted to actually charge to 100% that night. I went into carwings and hit the start charging button there. I got a confirmation that the car had started charging (it had actually started charging about an hour earlier).

In the morning, the car was at 100%. So it does look like you can "boost" the charge, even after a charge timer has started.

-Peter

From the posts, it looks like the Carwings start charge button has two unknown handy functions:

1 - If a timed 80% charge has started, it will ignore the 80% and continue to 100%.
2 - If a timed 80% charge has completed, it will restart the charge to 100%.

Did I get that right? If so, that is very useful information - many thanks to those who did the testing.

Bill

ebill3 said:
From the posts, it looks like the Carwings start charge button has two unknown handy functions:

1 - If a timed 80% charge has started, it will ignore the 80% and continue to 100%.
2 - If a timed 80% charge has completed, it will restart the charge to 100%.

Did I get that right? If so, that is very useful information - many thanks to those who did the testing.

Bill

You are correct. I use this capability frequently based on my range needs after charging.

Back