robot256
Delivery Date: 02 Mar 2013

Re: Changing VSP sound

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:17 am

This project is fairly far down my to-do list, but I'm planning to incorporate it into my build of the CANary project. Reprogramming the chip on the stock board can be ruled out, since if we could even get a blank part it would be impossible to reverse-engineer if the code protection bits are set, might interfere with other functions of the module, and anyway would not provide a user-configurable solution.

I opened up the VSP box and found the pinout marked clearly on the PCB. There are actually two speakers, back and front, both 4-ohm types, coming directly back to the VSP box. My preferred plan is to insert a new circuit inline with the cable going to the VSP box and use a relay to switch the speaker to a new audio amplifier. Generated sound will come from the mbed microprocessor in the CANary module. Then we have full control over the software, can play WAV and MP3 files off an SD card, select the sound on the fly, and even link it to CAN bus events like gear shifts and vehicle speed.

If anyone with the skills to do this gets to it before me, I'd love to see how it goes and help out. It'll be July at the earliest before I get to it. Still need to assembly my JuiceBox, fix my OpenEVSE, and, oh yeah, finish graduate school.

slinkyuk
Delivery Date: 24 Oct 2013
Leaf Number: 005947

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:44 am

robot256 wrote:This project is fairly far down my to-do list, but I'm planning to incorporate it into my build of the CANary project. Reprogramming the chip on the stock board can be ruled out, since if we could even get a blank part it would be impossible to reverse-engineer if the code protection bits are set, might interfere with other functions of the module, and anyway would not provide a user-configurable solution.

I opened up the VSP box and found the pinout marked clearly on the PCB. There are actually two speakers, back and front, both 4-ohm types, coming directly back to the VSP box. My preferred plan is to insert a new circuit inline with the cable going to the VSP box and use a relay to switch the speaker to a new audio amplifier. Generated sound will come from the mbed microprocessor in the CANary module. Then we have full control over the software, can play WAV and MP3 files off an SD card, select the sound on the fly, and even link it to CAN bus events like gear shifts and vehicle speed.

If anyone with the skills to do this gets to it before me, I'd love to see how it goes and help out. It'll be July at the earliest before I get to it. Still need to assembly my JuiceBox, fix my OpenEVSE, and, oh yeah, finish graduate school.

This would be awesome. If you need any sponsorship or create a kickstart page i'd be happy to donate!
2013 Tekna 6kw charger UK Model Purchased October 2013

Limey
Delivery Date: 24 May 2013

Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:07 pm

slinkyuk wrote:This would be awesome. If you need any sponsorship or create a kickstart page i'd be happy to donate!

I'd be donating as well! I want mine to sound like the Tardis!

pthack
Delivery Date: 31 Aug 2013
Leaf Number: 414037

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:45 pm

Limey wrote:
slinkyuk wrote:This would be awesome. If you need any sponsorship or create a kickstart page i'd be happy to donate!

I'd be donating as well! I want mine to sound like the Tardis!

Nah, the Jetson's car....

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:27 pm

pthack wrote:
Limey wrote:I want mine to sound like the Tardis!

K.I.T.T. (aka Knight Rider)...

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

Limey
Delivery Date: 24 May 2013

Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:14 am

GeekEV wrote:
pthack wrote:

That's another good one.

I think making it sound like a Harley Davidson would be fun too. heck, I would end up changing the sound as often as ringtones!

lion
Delivery Date: 22 May 2013

Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:27 am

It's tempting to get one of those CAN shields, and just come up with an Arduino solution. But I've never dealt with decoding CAN data before, so not sure how much is involved here.

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:40 pm

In theory, it should be as "simple" as building a little audio playback circuit that watches the audio out lines from the original module and as long as it senses a signal on the line switch the output to the speakers to be it's own. But that's beyond my electronics abilities...

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

BigShow
Delivery Date: 07 Oct 2017
Leaf Number: 413238

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:28 pm

GeekEV wrote:
pthack wrote:

Bump - can I make my Leaf sound like K.I.T.T yet?

Return to “Tips & Tricks”