Changing VSP sound

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffp

Does anyone have a way of changing the actual sound the car emits?

Wanting to get a "jetsons" sound... perhaps a Ferrari or diesel sound.... could be lots of fun?

As far as I know, it hasn't been done yet. Look for the VSP off thread (see my sig) for some information on where the VSP module is located and how to get at it. Pulling this off will probably require pulling the ROM chip and decoding it to see where the sounds are stored. Another thought I had is to tap the sound output lines (the service manual can tell you what's what) and connect in a new module that senses output on those lines and then substitutes it's own output instead. I doubt I'll undertake such a venture myself as I don't have the circuit design skills to pull it off...

Hi to all...
i'm interested to see some pictures of the VSP unit, better of the pcb...to understand the technologic used....
is possible to post some image...?

thank's a lot

Perhaps ... "Domino's Pizza delivery, coming through please."

In cities that prohibit the use of vehicle horns,
I wonder how long these "messages" will be legal?

I would love to add (or switch to) an additional "loud-speaker"
amplifier-output drive to the VSP speaker, from an internal microphone.

"Pardon me please", "Please, Watch your children", "Blind
person, STOP! There are cars coming.", "Mind your right side",
"Your shopping cart is running away", "Mmmoooo", and "Boo!"
come to mind. :)

It would be nice if the horn-relay activated it (but only when
a new switch is in the new "No-Horn" mode).

garygid said:
Perhaps ... "Domino's Pizza delivery, coming through please."

In cities that prohibit the use of vehicle horns,
I wonder how long these "messages" will be legal?

I would love to add (or switch to) an additional "loud-speaker"
amplifier-output drive to the VSP speaker, from an internal microphone.

"Pardon me please", "Please, Watch your children", "Blind
person, STOP! There are cars coming.", "Mind your right side",
"Your shopping cart is running away", "Mmmoooo", and "Boo!"
come to mind. :)

It would be nice if the horn-relay activated it (but only when
a new switch is in the new "No-Horn" mode).

I've always thought modifying the horn to make the sound of screeching tires would be much more effective.

The Domino's Pizza sound is quite amusing.

I'm happy that my 2011 LEAF has an off switch for the VSP - even if I must press it every time I switch the car on. However, if the VSP sounded like this, I may not turn it off as much:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zipL6_JPVg8[/youtube]

Or one could always go with the Jetsons :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnT1VgeXOF0[/youtube]

EricBayArea said:
I'm happy that my 2011 LEAF has an off switch for the VSP - even if I must press it every time I switch the car on.
You may have already seen this, but if not, you DON'T have to press it every time if you've got a bit of DIY spirit and knowhow: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This project is fairly far down my to-do list, but I'm planning to incorporate it into my build of the CANary project. Reprogramming the chip on the stock board can be ruled out, since if we could even get a blank part it would be impossible to reverse-engineer if the code protection bits are set, might interfere with other functions of the module, and anyway would not provide a user-configurable solution.

I opened up the VSP box and found the pinout marked clearly on the PCB. There are actually two speakers, back and front, both 4-ohm types, coming directly back to the VSP box. My preferred plan is to insert a new circuit inline with the cable going to the VSP box and use a relay to switch the speaker to a new audio amplifier. Generated sound will come from the mbed microprocessor in the CANary module. Then we have full control over the software, can play WAV and MP3 files off an SD card, select the sound on the fly, and even link it to CAN bus events like gear shifts and vehicle speed.

If anyone with the skills to do this gets to it before me, I'd love to see how it goes and help out. It'll be July at the earliest before I get to it. Still need to assembly my JuiceBox, fix my OpenEVSE, and, oh yeah, finish graduate school.

robot256 said:
This project is fairly far down my to-do list, but I'm planning to incorporate it into my build of the CANary project. Reprogramming the chip on the stock board can be ruled out, since if we could even get a blank part it would be impossible to reverse-engineer if the code protection bits are set, might interfere with other functions of the module, and anyway would not provide a user-configurable solution.

I opened up the VSP box and found the pinout marked clearly on the PCB. There are actually two speakers, back and front, both 4-ohm types, coming directly back to the VSP box. My preferred plan is to insert a new circuit inline with the cable going to the VSP box and use a relay to switch the speaker to a new audio amplifier. Generated sound will come from the mbed microprocessor in the CANary module. Then we have full control over the software, can play WAV and MP3 files off an SD card, select the sound on the fly, and even link it to CAN bus events like gear shifts and vehicle speed.

If anyone with the skills to do this gets to it before me, I'd love to see how it goes and help out. It'll be July at the earliest before I get to it. Still need to assembly my JuiceBox, fix my OpenEVSE, and, oh yeah, finish graduate school.

This would be awesome. If you need any sponsorship or create a kickstart page i'd be happy to donate!

slinkyuk said:
This would be awesome. If you need any sponsorship or create a kickstart page i'd be happy to donate!

I'd be donating as well! I want mine to sound like the Tardis!

It's tempting to get one of those CAN shields, and just come up with an Arduino solution. But I've never dealt with decoding CAN data before, so not sure how much is involved here.

In theory, it should be as "simple" as building a little audio playback circuit that watches the audio out lines from the original module and as long as it senses a signal on the line switch the output to the speakers to be it's own. But that's beyond my electronics abilities...

Back