How to Defrost using Climate Control Timer Settings?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimSouCal

Searched and read the manual, but I am unclear... Does anyone know how to have the defroster run in the car while tethered to a charger at a certain time in the morning two days a week. I have a short drive, and it would be great to have a nice defrosted windshield, and can't seem to easily figure out how to do it.

I have never used the timer and climate control, and have not turned on the AC as lately, West Los Angeles hasn't required it....

But again, a nice clear windshield in the wee hours of the morning would be great... There must be a procedure?

You'll want to set up Timer 1 to be active at the time you wish to have the climate control precondition process end at. Choose Timer 1 for the days of the week you want it to run on and keep Timer 2 (inactive) on all other days.

DarkStar said:
You'll want to set up Timer 1 to be active at the time you wish to have the climate control precondition process end at. Choose Timer 1 for the days of the week you want it to run on and keep Timer 2 (inactive) on all other days.
Thanks for the reply... So being possibly dumb here, how do I get the both the start and finish mode to be defrost? Do I just turn on the desired setting before shutting down the car? Or is there a way to determine that via timers? Will be trying this tonight...

JimSouCal said:
Will be trying this tonight...
It seems I will be failing, as I am unable to get climate control to run in defrost mode on turning on... Am I lame, or is some system engineering lame, or is it a team effort?

I've not tried it myself, but I don't believe you have any control over the mode of operation of the climate control timer. From what I've seen and read, it always runs the car to a fixed temperature - I think I've seen 77 mentioned. In hot weather, that's plenty cool, but in cooler weather that's a bit warmer than necessary. I've found the car to be too warm... I could see where defrosting the windows on a timer would be helpful, though I wonder - if the car is pre-warmed to 77, it seems to me that the windows would already be pretty warm and the wipers may clear them off pretty easily. Or at least, the defroster will work that much quicker. I don't park outside, so I can't say for sure. It doesn't get thy cold here anyway. Let us know how it works out.

GeekEV said:
I think I've seen 77 mentioned. In hot weather, that's plenty cool, but in cooler weather that's a bit warmer than necessary. I've found the car to be too warm... I could see where defrosting the windows on a timer would be helpful, though I wonder - if the car is pre-warmed to 77...

It will cool it to 77 IF it isn't 90 ambient degrees or warmer. For an experiment, I pre-cooled for two hours (the limit) and it took it down to only 86 degrees from high 90's, but got hot again in a few minutes. The same would be for the heater. I doubt if it will heat up to 77 when the ambient temp is low. The pre-cooling and pre-heating is only meant to just make the cabin comfortable when getting in so only a 5-10 min. pre-conditioning is necessary.

GeekEV said:
ILet us know how it works out.
Well, today was an easy day regarding the weather, but I do think having the interior of the car warm will help the matter. Ideally, I would like to have the defrost blower on, AC off, recirc, and temp up. But as my Mom used to say, "it would be nice if we could but we can't so we won't".

Thanks to all for the input. (Mental note, add this to refinement list requests).

I think its a resonable request and a feature that Nissan should add to a well designed EV

Most certainly the Infiniti version

here is what I would want:

Winter pre heat mode: warm up heater system, defrost winshield, switch to auto at your desired pre programmed winter temp. Heat steering wheel

Summer mode: cool off interior at max, then switch to auto temp at your pre programmed temp

Is this really that hard Nissan ? come on I dont design cars and this took me 2 minutes to figure out

Cost of hardware needed $0
programming software only

Not sure what I will do

guess just pre heat on L2
then when I get out to the car crank the defroster for 2-3 minutes before unplugging

I used the defrost/defog functions (for the first time) yesterday, and they work SO FAST, I can't see what good a "pre-condition" mode would do. I think that Nissan has struck a good compromise to pre-heat/cool the car, and any special conditions beyond that can be handled once you're actually IN the car.

Stanton said:
I used the defrost/defog functions (for the first time) yesterday, and they work SO FAST, I can't see what good a "pre-condition" mode would do. I think that Nissan has struck a good compromise to pre-heat/cool the car, and any special conditions beyond that can be handled once you're actually IN the car.
My drive sometimes is only about 1.5 miles... One that involves negotiating crossing a rather busy street in 3 blocks.

Defrost involved both heat and AC, so it's quite a battery drainer, so if it was done "on the grid" rather than the battery, it would be better.

If I get you right, you think that simply heating/cooling the car to a certain temp fits well enough? Why would a software change that allowed a preset, other than adding complexity for the end user, be a problem?

I do think there should be a basic mode that fits most situations, but an advanced menu climate mode, that allows a "reset" to default for those who may have unique situations.

Here in Oregon winter humidity wreaks havoc on the windshield. In my ICE car it can sometimes take several minutes to clear the windshield sufficiently for me to drive home. Won't know for a couple of months how long it takes with the LEAF, but I doubt it is all that much faster.

Most importantly, since Carwings can only use the current climate settings in the car, I would have to set the car up for defrost before I turn it off so that I can use the pre-condition on CarWings later that night. That's not going to happen. Being able to reconfigure climate control remotely would be A LOT more convenient than waiting until I got to the car.

Yes I think there are more important features to add, but since this is just software, it should be one of the easier ones for Nissan to provide.

Back