User avatar
garygid
Gold Member
Posts: 12418
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 am
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855
Location: Laguna Hills, Orange Co, CA

Re: Securing Nissan brick for airport or other public chargi

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Other (non-motorized) cable reels are MUCH less expensive.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

smkettner
Posts: 7019
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Securing Nissan brick for airport or other public chargi

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Loop around your wrist and elbow is free ;)
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV

User avatar
garygid
Gold Member
Posts: 12418
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 am
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855
Location: Laguna Hills, Orange Co, CA

Re: Securing Nissan brick for airport or other public chargi

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:17 pm

I was trying for a solution where one would not need to open the hood, but rather just pull an extension cord out through a hole inside the Charge-Port hatch.

I will have to look closer at the spaces available and the clearances involved.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

copdoc
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:36 am
Delivery Date: 17 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 16587
Location: Cary, NC

Re: Securing Nissan brick for airport or other public chargi

Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:01 pm

Is anyone using the "engine" compartment for storage of the evse as discussed here? I'd love to get it out of the way of my son's tenor sax which he loads into the car every day rather less carefully than I might wish.
reserved 6/2/2010, cancelled reservation 9/15/2011
ordered 12/16/2011, purchased 12/27/12, delivery 1/17/12

GPowers
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:05 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 7922
Location: West Coast, USA

Re: Securing Nissan brick for airport or other public chargi

Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:25 pm

It very perplexing why the charge cored was just not built into an EV car. This J1772 connector and cable should be part of the car. Not on the EVSE pedestal where any Joe blow can steal it.
Leaf Num: 7922, Silver, SL w/440 quick charge, Yuckey light cloth interior (now a nice leather), Delivered on 8/26/11

User avatar
planet4ever
Posts: 4674
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:53 pm
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537
Location: Morgan Hill, CA, south of San Jose

Re: Securing Nissan brick for airport or other public chargi

Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:28 pm

copdoc wrote:Is anyone using the "engine" compartment for storage of the evse as discussed here? I'd love to get it out of the way of my son's tenor sax which he loads into the car every day rather less carefully than I might wish.
Mine is totally out of sight and protected, along with extension cord, adapters, tools, rags, etc. I love my organizer! It keeps the back of the car so nice looking.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 4820
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: Securing Nissan brick for airport or other public chargi

Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:19 pm

GPowers wrote:It very perplexing why the charge cored was just not built into an EV car. This J1772 connector and cable should be part of the car. Not on the EVSE pedestal where any Joe blow can steal it.
That's the way Europe is going with the Mennekes connector. A LEAF owner would carry around a Mennekes to J1772 adapter cable, a Tesla owner would carry a Mennekes to Tesla connector cable, etc... There's much to be said for the concept, although if it does get stolen, the individual owner is left without any way to charge until he gets his expensive cable replaced. I also find with the current portable EVSE that pulling the cable out and putting it away each time is a nuisance, I'm sure the M-to-J1772 cable won't be any better.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

Franko30
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:10 am
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2012

Re: Securing Nissan brick for airport or other public chargi

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:27 am

Hi,

writing in foreign language, so I hope to use the right technical terms now and in the future.

Why not just use a padlock (through the hole in the silver switch on top of the type 1 plug) to keep the type 1 plug (and thus the "brick") with the car? I guess tht's what they put it in for.

Or do people in the US actually cut off the "brick" (what's the correct term - we in Germany use in-cable-control-box)?

Brick theft is not much of a problem yet in Germany - but people begin thinking about it. But then, our "bricks" dont cost a thousand dollars, "just" around 300-400 EUR (between 390 and 520 US-$).

BUT the type 2 Mennekes plugs are as expensive as the bricks in the US, although they are only cables and plugs...

Cheers

Frank

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12313
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Securing Nissan brick for airport or other public chargi

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:15 am

Franko30 wrote:Hi,

writing in foreign language, so I hope to use the right technical terms now and in the future.

Why not just use a padlock (through the hole in the silver switch on top of the type 1 plug) to keep the type 1 plug (and thus the "brick") with the car? I guess tht's what they put it in for.

Or do people in the US actually cut off the "brick" (what's the correct term - we in Germany use in-cable-control-box)?

Brick theft is not much of a problem yet in Germany - but people begin thinking about it. But then, our "bricks" dont cost a thousand dollars, "just" around 300-400 EUR (between 390 and 520 US-$).

BUT the type 2 Mennekes plugs are as expensive as the bricks in the US, although they are only cables and plugs...

Cheers

Frank



thanks for the info Frank. sounds like another (of the many) examples of Europeans simply being more progressive towards EV tech... we are lagging here i am afraid by quite a bit
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 27,000 miles.363GID Ahr 79.13Hx95.17%kwh28.1QCs238,L2's 251
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gascant
Posts: 921
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:09 pm
Delivery Date: 13 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2209
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Securing Nissan brick for airport or other public chargi

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 am

Seems like people here in the US will steal almost anything these days. We keep having instances of UPS/FedEx packages disappearing from porches within a few minutes of being delivered.
This idea is one we'll have to bring up with Nissan. I'll have to pull off the plastic protector, but I think the space next to the radiator overflow container is pretty empty. I bet something could be worked out. Might even be able to retrofit it. Will get Electric4Me or Ingineer on the case.
2011 LEAF SL brilliant silver + QC
DRL's, Seat Heaters, Horn, LEDs and EVSE upgrades
Over 24,300 miles gas-free
http://sfbayleafs.org

Return to “Tips & Tricks”