Jack

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siai

I needed to remove the rear wheels from the LEAF to install a set of splash guards. As all of you are aware, the LEAF doesn't have a jack. The other car I have in the garage is a Chevrolet Cavalier. I used the jack from it to lift the LEAF. In the rear, there are two notches where the shock absorber attaches to the trailing link. The Cavalier jack fit perfectly into the notches for save lifting. It also fits with proper clearance at the factory lift points under the rocker panels. The handle for the jack is part of the assembly and folds for storage. Because so many Cavalier's were built, these jacks are available at just about any wrecking yard for very little money. Mid 90's to the last Cavalier built in '05 jacks should be the same and about $10 buys one. Even if you don't rotate your own tires it always good to have a jack around if you had to remove a flat in your driveway and take to be repaired,

siai said:
I needed to remove the rear wheels from the LEAF to install a set of splash guards. As all of you are aware, the LEAF doesn't have a jack. The other car I have in the garage is a Chevrolet Cavalier. I used the jack from it to lift the LEAF. In the rear, there are two notches where the shock absorber attaches to the trailing link. The Cavalier jack fit perfectly into the notches for save lifting. It also fits with proper clearance at the factory lift points under the rocker panels. The handle for the jack is part of the assembly and folds for storage. Because so many Cavalier's were built, these jacks are available at just about any wrecking yard for very little money. Mid 90's to the last Cavalier built in '05 jacks should be the same and about $10 buys one. Even if you don't rotate your own tires it always good to have a jack around if you had to remove a flat in your driveway and take to be repaired,

Good info....thanks for sharing :)

siai said:

Thanks for the information. Does the Cavalier jack fit in the jack storage spot behind the rear left panel?

is that a USA thing only? the UK leaf has a Jack, its located in the boot (trunk) , behind a little door on the left hand side...

I plan to start carrying around a donut spare but not much point having the spare if you don't have a jack, too. The mounting fixture is there in the US - just sans the actual jack. So I was looking for a compatible model I might be able to find from a junkyard.

garygid said:
USA LEAF = no jack

With no spare, seldom need a jack,
but it would be handy for puncture repair.

Is a jack "required equipment" in UK?

No it is not a requirement to carry either a Jack or a Spare wheel, wondered why nissan would bother with the extra expense ?

TickTock said:
I plan to start carrying around a donut spare but not much point having the spare if you don't have a jack, too. The mounting fixture is there in the US - just sans the actual jack. So I was looking for a compatible model I might be able to find from a junkyard.

More spare tire data:

The official Nissan spare tire for the LEAF is a T125/90D16 98M. The Jeep Grand Cherokee uses that tire, for instance.

The wheel (rim) part number is 403001ya7a that can be ordered from a Nissan dealership outside the USA. Good luck finding one. Price is big. Should be 66.1mm center hub diameter.

The jack part number is 99550-3ND0B and sells for UK £233.00 ($357 plus VAT and shipping and import duties). See below price of Altima jack in comparison.

The tool kit 99501-4J800 and sells for UK £113.00 ($173 plus shipping and government fees/taxes). You already have a lug wrench in a USA spec'd LEAF, so you shouldn't need this.

The Nissan Altima 2002-2006 spare wheel (rim) part number from any USA Nissan dealership:
40300-L31010. Should be 66.1mm center hub diameter.
$184

Jack: 99550-L31001
$33.08

Lug wrench: 99545
$7.15

Found this ad with a quick google search for the spare tire size "T125 90D16 98M":

Spare Tires T125 90D16 98M(^#^) - $20 (Richmond)

Date: 2012-01-08, 12:08PM PST
Reply to:

[email protected]

Bridgestone compact spare tire (Made in Japan) T125 90D16 98M c/w 5 bolts' rim. Bolt pattern 5x114.3 mm. Came off a Infiniti J30, may fit other type of vehicles. Price... $20

Note from me: Sometimes the bolt pattern may be in English measure, which is 5x4.5 inches. Also, Infiniti is a Nissan product.

Can one of our European members post a pic with some of the primary dimensions of the OE jack? This might help us find a suitable alternative. I know the jack from a Toyota Sienna does not fit. Seems like a Nissan Versa jack might be a good guess and lots are available on eBay for < $50 but I'd like to have some confidence of compatibility before purchasing.

TickTock said:
Can one of our European members post a pic with some of the primary dimensions of the OE jack? This might help us find a suitable alternative. I know the jack from a Toyota Sienna does not fit. Seems like a Nissan Versa jack might be a good guess and lots are available on eBay for < $50 but I'd like to have some confidence of compatibility before purchasing.

Did you catch my post directly above that you can purchase a BRAND NEW Nissan Altima jack for $33 ?

At the wrecking yard, I'm confident you could get them for $10, virtually unused. Everything in the below picture is from a 2002-2006 Nissan Altima; lift jack, lug wrench (and jack handle) and tire/wheel.

The Nissan Altima 2002-2006 spare wheel (rim) part number from any USA Nissan dealership:
$184

$33.08

$7.15

7a22b6cb.jpg

daleph said:
is that a USA thing only? the UK leaf has a Jack, its located in the boot (trunk) , behind a little door on the left hand side...

I found this curious fixture inside the 'toolkit' door in the left rear corner of the car's interior.

Perhaps this is where they mount the jack on cars delivered in the UK? Or perhaps someone else knows why this mounting plate was included on my 2012 SL?

Also, the OP said he used a Chevy Cavalier jack to lift his Leaf. I had trouble establishing the curb weight of the Cavalier, but I believe it is much less than that of the Leaf. I used the jack from my '04 Prius to remove the right front wheel recently. I was careful to have two 4x4's handy to put just behind the jack. I became very uncomfortable about the stability of the Prius jack (rated at 800 kg) and had AAA come out to lift the Leaf high enough to remount the wheel with a new tire on it. The tech's pneumatic jack made quick work of the task. Doe the Cavalier jack have a load rating on it?

daleph said:
baumgrenze said:
Also, the OP said he used a Chevy Cavalier jack to lift his Leaf. Also, the OP said he used a Chevy Cavalier jack to lift his Leaf.[I had trouble establishing the curb weight of the Cavalier, but I believe it is much less than that of the Leaf.
The OP mentioned "mid 90's to the last Cavalier built in '05". According to edmunds.com, Chevy Cavalier sedans from 1996-2005 weigh about 2670 lbs, from 2676 lbs in 1996 to... 2676 lbs (yup, same weight) in 2005.

baumgrenze said:
I used the jack from my '04 Prius to remove the right front wheel recently. I was careful to have two 4x4's handy to put just behind the jack.
Put the Prius' spare tire under the LEAF's sill, possibly also with your 4x4 lengths underneath the spare tire. Or, if you don't like how far back under the sill you have to position the spare tire (because the sill jack point is occupied by the jack), put it under the LEAF's suspension's A arm.

baumgrenze said:
I used the jack from my '04 Prius to remove the right front wheel recently. I was careful to have two 4x4's handy to put just behind the jack. I became very uncomfortable about the stability of the Prius jack (rated at 800 kg) [...]
The Prius appears to have a scissors jack. A 2004 Prius weighs 2890 lbs. It has the same suspension configuration as the LEAF: front MacPherson struts and rear torsion beam. It has 185/65-15 wheels/tires, which are about the same height as the LEAF's wheels/tires. I'm surprised to hear that the Prius' jack failed to inspire when used to lift a LEAF...

The LEAF weighs 3375 lbs and has a weight distribution of 56/44. This means approximately 945 lbs (428 kgs) at each front corner. The Prius' jack, rated at 800 kgs, should be able to handle that weight. Stability (or lack thereof) due to fit, or lack thereof, is a different matter.

baumgrenze said:
and had AAA come out to lift the Leaf high enough to remount the wheel with a new tire on it. The tech's pneumatic jack made quick work of the task. Doe the Cavalier jack have a load rating on it?
Dunno, but assuming the Cavalier has the typical FWD weight distribution of 60/40, its front corners would carry 802 lbs 9(363 kgs), versus the LEAF's 945 lbs/428 kgs.

If you have a floor jack, the wiki shows how to put together a wooden block that will fit the frame rails nicely. Cost = a bit of scrap lumber and a few screws. Worked fine to rotate the tires.

Although I do keep meaning to order the Altima jack to keep on board.

Nubo said:
If you have a floor jack, the wiki shows how to put together a wooden block that will fit the frame rails nicely. Cost = a bit of scrap lumber and a few screws. Worked fine to rotate the tires.

Here's your reminder:

$184

$33.08

$7.15

TonyWilliams said:
Nubo said:

Here's your reminder:

$184

$33.08

$7.15

Does this jack fit in the jack storage space on the Leaf (after removing the fix-a-flat kit)?

TickTock said:
Does this jack fit in the jack storage space on the Leaf (after removing the fix-a-flat kit)?
It fits, but isn't as snug as I would like. The bracket in there seems like it's designed to have something snap firmly into place, but I can't figure a way to do that with the Altima jack. I currently have the jack lying on the floor of the cargo area, in its original box, since I figure it might rattle around in the storage compartment.

I took a few pictures a while back - will try to remember to post them soon.

TickTock said:
The mounting fixture is there in the US - just sans the actual jack. So I was looking for a compatible model I might be able to find from a junkyard.
TickTock said:
peggynevers said:
The mounting fixture is there in the US - just sans the actual jack. So I was looking for a compatible model I might be able to find from a junkyard.
+1
Sound familiar? :D

Take a look at peggynevers' other "posts"...

Back