tailgate party

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyouOB

I knew you could open the tailgate with a button on the hatch, but I just noticed that there is a smaller button to the right of that hatch-opening tab, that lets you lock the car from there.

you dont even need to take the fob out of your pocket or walk to the front doors.

TomT said:
The new manual, which is a third thicker due to having been printed on real paper, is even better for that!
Nubo said:
TomT said:
Of course, it IS in the owner's manual... :lol:
I keep those in my glovebox. Keeps the weight over the front wheels for traction. :p
Ummm, aren't you both forgetting that all that extra weight is playing havoc with maximizing range??

Glenn

yea, in the owners' manuals.
I do plead guilty to reading allot of them both and skimming most if them.
Actually there are two owners' manuals and they run to hundreds of pages.
I am NOT surprised that this is in there. Once I found it, I figured it would be.

I wonder what else I am missing????

thankyouOB said:
I knew you could open the tailgate with a button on the hatch, but I just noticed that there is a smaller button to the right of that hatch-opening tab, that lets you lock the car from there.

you dont even need to take the fob out of your pocket or walk to the front doors.

I had my hatch unlocked for an entire year to find my portable charger and extension cord stolen from
my LEAF this morning :cry:

I only learned today that the tailgate DOES NOT relock itself when you open then close the tailgate AFTER locking the door via doorhandle or keyfob, and yes, there is a second button on the right that LOCKS the tailgate independently from the doors.

One more subtle messed up design. Better RTFM for automatic locking please?

-Todd

In a parking garage in Seattle, my 40' ,10 gauge extension cord was stolen out of my car, which was locked. The thief simply smashed the rear passenger window to get access.

solardude said:
In a parking garage in Seattle, my 40' ,10 gauge extension cord was stolen out of my car, which was locked. The thief simply smashed the rear passenger window to get access.

oh crapo that really sucks!. Tom got his SOC meter swiped. i need to be more careful. i have a ton of junk in my Leaf. mostly toys and such but still

darthracing said:
I only learned today that the tailgate DOES NOT relock itself when you open then close the tailgate AFTER locking the door via doorhandle or keyfob, and yes, there is a second button on the right that LOCKS the tailgate independently from the doors.
I'm nearly a month late posting this, but you don't have that quite right. The right tailgate button and the door buttons are not independent. All three of them do exactly the same thing, at least relative to their own doors. [NOTE: For the purpose of this discussion I am going to call the tailgate a "door".]

In normal mode (as the car is delivered):
  • If any doors are unlocked, and you push any of the three buttons, all doors lock. [Remember, "door" includes tailgate.]
  • If all doors are locked and you push a button, the door where that button is will unlock.
  • If you push the button a second time, all doors will unlock.
  • Closing a door [including the tailgate] simply latches it, never locks it. To lock it you have to push some button somewhere (or turn the mechanical key).

Now, what's this "normal mode" I referred to? I don't remember where I found the information, or what I did, but shortly after I got my LEAF I changed the mode so that if you push any of the buttons once when all the doors are locked, it unlocks all of them. i.e. it behaves as if you had pushed the button twice. (Maybe it's something you do on the I-key?)

==>Edit: I found it. Over on the console: Menu -> Settings -> Comfort & Convenience -> Selective Door Unlock.
When this is turned off you get the single-push behavior I use.

The other piece of the puzzle is that the larger left tailgate button is a combination unlock and unlatch button. Its unlock function behaves exactly like the unlock function of the right tailgate button, but it never locks, and it never latches. In my "single-push mode" it unlocks all doors, just like the right tailgate button does. I find this very useful, since my wife does not normally carry an I-key. We come out to the car with a cartful of groceries or whatever; I open the tailgate to put them in; and she can drop things in the back seat or get into the passenger seat.

Ray

Back