dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Re: How to wrap your EVSE/other cables! (You're doing it wro

Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:31 am

^ I find it quite easy to use this technique on my 8 meter Nissan/Panasonic EVSEs (I have two, both upgraded to 240 Volts). Except when the cable is very cold (-20ºC) and stiff, in which case I gently fold it into the car for coiling later when I can warm it up. I also use the over/under technique on my extension cords.

I do have trouble with using it to coil my long garden hoses because it is difficult to hold and loop a cold, stiff 25 meter hose at the same time. But it is worth the effort because the hose doesn't tangle when I later stretch it out for use.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

arnolddeleon
Delivery Date: 25 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4147

Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:56 am

I just saw a picture of EVSE cord that made me shudder so I giving this thread a kick to get few more people to see it.

Here are a couple of more YouTube videos on using "over under" to avoid wrecking cables:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-74OEVUOKOw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjdYpyGh3zM

arnold

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:20 am

Yes, we get units in for upgrade often that are really bad.

We've had to repair units several people sent in due to the cord getting so twisted it ripped apart inside! Unfortunately there's really no fixing the cord. It will eventually fail in the middle somewhere.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

nerys
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2014
Leaf Number: 020441

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:55 pm

It is interesting that I learned to do what is effectively the over under a different way.

I was wrapping a cord around my elbow (like pa showed me) and realized it did not work well. you can feel the twisting in the wire.

so I tried to just "coil" it but the line "resisted" and it dawned on me that it "wanted to go the other way" so I would turn my coil hand around to the other side and "no more resistance" every other coil. one side then the other.

basically over under the long way. I am definitely going to start using this method. looks a lot faster and the same result :-)
2012 SV 4802miles. 1month 2400 miles. 9 weeks 5000 miles. 6 months 13,300 miles. 4/18 15,000 miles.

Vincerama
Delivery Date: 24 Sep 2014

Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:24 pm

Thanks for this tip! I am now using that technique for all my extension cords!

rslatkin
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 015112

Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:10 pm

I've been using the over under method for a long time, but my cord is still really twisted. Is there any way to un-twist it? It's hard to even tell which direction the twist is in.

donald
Delivery Date: 29 Jul 2013

Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:07 pm

rslatkin wrote:I've been using the over under method for a long time, but my cord is still really twisted. Is there any way to un-twist it? It's hard to even tell which direction the twist is in.

As I mentioned above, I don't think this is ideal for EV leads in the long run. It's preferable to an elbow wrap, of course, but over time the internal wires will move and 'walk' around.

I have found it is better to make a couple of loops from one end, rotating the coil you are holding at each loop to prevent the cable 'fighting' the coiling, rather than backward-looping the cable as you draw it in. In that way, you are rotating the coil to the cable rather than rotating the cable to the coil which does cause the internal wires to 'creep' just a little. Once you have manipulated the coil from one end, then drop those couple of coils in the trunk and then do the same from the other end. As you are rotating the coil rather than the cable, you are not causing any twist on the cable now hanging over the boot lip. You can then bring the two halves together by placing the second coil on top of the first. This way, you are introducing no twists at all, whereas in the backward twisting method you do introduce a very subtle twist (due to the 'pitch' of the coil you are making) each time the opposite direction coil is made.

I realise that I am probably not making myself quite clear, but if you do the reverse loop method all the time you will eventually find at some stage you are fighting the cable to twist whether you are going for a 'normal' loop or a 'reverse' loop, and at that point you have a cable poised for a terminal decline.

(Difficult to explain a complex task like this in words - If it would help if I re-explain any of that, then please let me know.)

KK6PD
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 10 Apr 2015
Leaf Number: 333803

Tue May 31, 2016 8:42 am

DoxyLover wrote:Over-under is the proper way to wrap cables. If you worked on a TV crew working with the (older) many-conductor cables, you learned to do over-under or were reassigned/fired. Those cables were expensive, full of small gauge wires, and hard to repair.

Having worked for ABC-TV Network for the last 37+ years, this is absolutely the way cables are to be wrapped! In fact, if a rookie tries to do it any other way, either they are gives a pile of cables and told to master it, or they are not invited back to play the game!

gshepherd
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2016

Re: How to wrap your EVSE/other cables! (You're doing it wrong!)

Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:28 pm

I've been wrapping the over-under method for cables and hoses for about a year now. The only complaint comes from someone unaware of the method trying to spool the cable out accidentally pulling the wrong end through the center. You'll end up with perfect half hitch knots evenly spaced on the cable. Mitigating this requires leaving enough of the ends dangling down below the loop so there is less of a chance of pulling through the center unintentionally.
2016 LEAF SV

SoCalLeafOwnerIrvine
Delivery Date: 13 Jun 2013

Re: How to wrap your EVSE/other cables! (You're doing it wrong!)

Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:24 pm

good tips!

Return to “Tips & Tricks”