Guinness World Record for the fastest mile...in reverse

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

I thought reverse was speed-limited?

Only on US cars, or is the LEAF in this video modified?

At the Goodwood Festival of Speed (29 June - 1 July), the 100% electric Nissan LEAF will attempt to complete the famous 1.16-mile Goodwood hillclimb course as fast as possible... but in reverse, setting a new Guinness World Record for the fastest time over a distance of one mile in reverse.

With direct drive from the electric motor to its wheels, the Nissan LEAF going backwards should be able to hit the same top speed it manages going forwards...

"The LEAF Reverse Record isn't going to be easy and will be very challenging," admitted Terry. "I'd prefer to do it on a nice straight and level strip of tarmac rather than on Lord March's drive. The hill not only climbs, but is also full of twists, turns and obstacles.

"It's a hugely technical test of speed and concentration. But despite the risks, the strength and integrity of Nissan LEAF's design gives me confidence. Whatever happens, I know I'm going to finish the weekend with a serious crick in my neck!"

http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/2012/06/nissan-leaf-to-reverse-into-record.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder how the CHP would view a LEAF driving on the freeway in reverse? (below the speed limit, of course.)

I lost all interest in trying high-speed, myself, after I noticed I couldn't get any regen in reverse...

They tried to do this last year, but something stopped them. The Health and Saftey folks at Goodwood, IIRC. I'm actually more interested in finding out how planning has been different this year, to allow the stunt to move forward.

edatoakrun said:
It was :D But the Nissan folks apparently know how to undo it. (I bet Phil does, too :D) Obviously, they're the ones that put the limiter there in the first place. Likely they want to keep that trick to themselves :geek:

gbarry42 said:
edatoakrun said:
It was :D But the Nissan folks apparently know how to undo it. (I bet Phil does, too :D) Likely they want to keep that trick to themselves :geek:

Yes, just read...

...the Leaf's electric powertrain enables it to be driven backwards as fast as it does forwards simply by disabling the regular model's electronic speed limiter.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/06/nissan-to-repeat-goodwood-hill-climb-in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the Goodwood Festival of Speed over the weekend, the 100% electric Nissan LEAF set a new Guinness World Record for the fastest time over a distance of one mile in reverse.

Professional stunt driver Terry Grant, who at the 2011 Festival of Speed drove a Nissan JUKE up the hillclimb course on two wheels, set a time of 1m 37.02s at an average speed of 55 mph (88.5km/h) over the famous 1.16-mile Goodwood hillclimb course...

http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/2012/07/nissan-leaf-sets-world-record-in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nissan-Leaf-Reverse.jpg

Back