European LEAF deliveries

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takoyaki

Apparently 67 newly built LEAFs are off to Europe for UK launch in end of Jan. Nissan still plans
to sell 26k LEAFs this fiscal year world wide.

Source (Japanese):
http://www.asahi.com/car/news/TKY201012250172.html

takoyaki said:
Apparently 67 newly built LEAFs are off to Europe for UK launch in end of Jan. Nissan still plans

Source (Japanese):

takoyaky,

Thank you for this interesting information.

Looks very odd to me that UK will receive those 67 LEAF instead of Portugal or even Ireland, countries that are going to get the LEAF first in Europe. Everybody knows that the start schedule date to sell the car in the UK starts in March 2011 and in Portugal in January.

Are you sure that those LEAF are not going to be delivered in Portugal instead?

The only reason I see those cars to be delivered to the UK is as test drive cars but never to be selled or eventually to a rental company.

Does anyone can get some more detailed information about this subject? Thank you.

takoyaki said:

Source (Japanese):

Is the 26,000 for the fiscal year 2011?

stanley said:
takoyaki said:

Source (Japanese):

Is the 26,000 for the fiscal year 2011?

The Nissan fiscal year 2010 ends in March. There are ~50k planned for 2011 calendar. Nissan started production a couple of months ago, so 26k seems a little faster than originally anticipated rate. However, Renault will be taking more of the battery production as the year goes on (90k+ packs in 2011), so maybe the rate of production is a little faster right now.

If it is 26,000 for fiscal year 2010, that would require Nissan to produce over 8,000 a month for Jan, Feb and March. I do not believe that is a possibility

lne937s said:
The Nissan fiscal year 2010 ends in March.

If the fiscal year ends in March, 2011, wouldn't it be "Fiscal Year 2011?" That is how the government fiscal years are named. Is it different for corporations?

stanley said:
If it is 26,000 for fiscal year 2010, that would require Nissan to produce over 8,000 a month for Jan, Feb and March. I do not believe that is a possibility

Remember that they started LEAF production in October. Battery mass production began at the ZAMA plant in July, and they have been buiilding up a stockpile. Oppama has more than enough production capacity to build the vehicles if the batteries are available. And just because you haven't seen them deliver vehicles yet does not mean they have not already been producing thousands over the past couple of months. It is absolutely possible that they will have 26,000 built by that time.

leafkabob said:
lne937s said:
The Nissan fiscal year 2010 ends in March.

If the fiscal year ends in March, 2011, wouldn't it be "Fiscal Year 2011?" That is how the government fiscal years are named. Is it different for corporations?

For the way Nissan reports, FY2010 ends in March 2011.
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/IR/LIBRARY/FR/index.html

lne937s said:
stanley said:

Remember that they started LEAF production in October. Battery mass production began at the ZAMA plant in July, and they have been buiilding up a stockpile. Oppama has more than enough production capacity to build the vehicles if the batteries are available. And just because you haven't seen them deliver vehicles yet does not mean they have not already been producing thousands over the past couple of months. It is absolutely possible that they will have 26,000 built by that time.

You may be right lne937s. I have read a lot of speculation on this forum, and I'm not saying it isn't fun reading, but in the end, all it is is our collective opinions (and deductions) about when we may get our leafs. Your scenario sounds possible. On the other hand . . . .

Good point. The production line supposedly has been running since October, so they should have much more than 6 cars plus whatever just left the last ship. But if they have thousands already produced, where are they? Seems something unexpected may have impeded production.

ruimegas said:
takoyaki said:

Source (Japanese):

takoyaky,

Thank you for this interesting information.

Looks very odd to me that UK will receive those 67 LEAF instead of Portugal or even Ireland, countries that are going to get the LEAF first in Europe. Everybody knows that the start schedule date to sell the car in the UK starts in March 2011 and in Portugal in January.

Are you sure that those LEAF are not going to be delivered in Portugal instead?

The only reason I see those cars to be delivered to the UK is as test drive cars but never to be selled or eventually to a rental company.

Does anyone can get some more detailed information about this subject? Thank you.

To be precise, the article said these LEAFs are being shipped to UK, and then it went on and talked about "sales of LEAF in some parts of Europe such as UK and Portugal starting in January." But I would trust the sources in this forum more on the UK launch date rather than the reporter who may have generalized it a bit.

BTW the article also mentions that this ship that would carry the leaf is also brand new and has rounded nose tip (front of the ship) to reduce wind resistance and improve fuel efficiency.

Back