besmirmeta
Delivery Date: 24 Mar 2017

Importing used leaf from us to europe

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:31 am

i have some question i want to import used nissan leaf from us to europe:
1)will the onboard charger support 220v 50HZ
2)can the original 120v evse work on 220v outlet with an shuku adapter
3)will the warantly expire if imported in europe or my local nissan will suport warantly
4)what is the discount for exporting cars from us ,what is the shipping cost by sea to europe

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Re: Importing used leaf from us to europe

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:10 pm

besmirmeta wrote:i have some question i want to import used nissan leaf from us to europe:
3)will the warantly expire if imported in europe or my local nissan will suport warantly
4)what is the discount for exporting cars from us ,what is the shipping cost by sea to europe

I don't understand why you would import a US model to Europe, when they sell models made in Europe. If you get a US model with the NAV system and telematics, it will not work in Europe. You may be able to find repair service, but the warranty most likely will not be honored. You also have to pay shipping and import fees. I don't see that it is worth the hassle to have an orphaned vehicle imported across the ocean.
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:41 pm

baustin wrote:I don't understand why you would import a US model to Europe, when they sell models made in Europe.

Simple reason: cost. Even with shipping and certifications, it's often cheaper than trying to buy a new (or sometimes even a used) one.

The OP should probably try to go to a Norwegian Leaf forum, since they seem to be the ones importing the most ex-US Leafs.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

besmirmeta

Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:39 am

RonDawg wrote:
baustin wrote:I don't understand why you would import a US model to Europe, when they sell models made in Europe.

Simple reason: cost. Even with shipping and certifications, it's often cheaper than trying to buy a new (or sometimes even a used) one.

The OP should probably try to go to a Norwegian Leaf forum, since they seem to be the ones importing the most ex-US Leafs.

please can you send me a link to that forum

kaiat

Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:26 am

http://www.elbilforum.no is the Norwegian EV forum, there is a subsection for Leaf there. But I can try to answer as well.

besmirmeta wrote:i have some question i want to import used nissan leaf from us to europe:

1) Yes.

2) I know many get the original EVSE modified by http://evseupgrade.com before the car is shipped, but I am not sure if this is required. Others go for a thirdparty EVSE like ChargeAmps or something.

3) The factory warranty is gone if you export the car to Europe. You will not be able to claim anything from Nissan Europe when it comes to warranty. Your local Nissan-dealer will be able to service and repair your car, but everything is out of your own pocket. Be advised that some parts are US-specific. These are quite pricey if you order them through an European Nissan-dealer.

4) Not much these days it seems, the US Leafs for sale in Norway seem to cost the same as the European ones. Since you retain factory warranty with an European Leaf, there is not much reason to choose a US-version. Also, the European cars have working navigation and Carwings. I believe the shipping cost is ~2000 USD, at least to Norway, but it could be different depending on your location.

besmirmeta

Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:21 am

thank you very much so the only problem is the original evse.
it is shure that it wont work by ading a shuku adapter

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:34 am

besmirmeta wrote:thank you very much so the only problem is the original evse.

no, It does not make sense to use a 120v evse with a transformer .... Buy a 240v charger from the start. and it will be faster..

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:36 am

powersurge wrote:
besmirmeta wrote:thank you very much so the only problem is the original evse.

no, It does not make sense to use a 120v evse with a transformer .... Buy a 240v charger from the start. and it will be faster..

The other questions are yours to research because you need to find those things out. US leaf owners do not know international laws...

GRA

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:34 pm

ISTM Euro LEAFs use the Type 2 Menneke's connector rather than J1772 for L1/L2. I'd think that's going to be the biggest problem, and is where an adapter (or swapping out the receptacles, if that's possible without changing a whole lot else) will be needed.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:14 pm

GRA wrote:ISTM Euro LEAFs use the Type 2 Menneke's connector rather than J1772 for L1/L2.

I don't think so. Try running https://www.nissan.de/fahrzeuge/neuwage ... laden.html (German page) thru Google Translate and click thru all the connector types near the top. It looks like the German market Leaf (for example) has a J1772 inlet but they also include a J1772 to Mennekes Type 2 cable. From what I understand, at the equivalent of level 2 stations in Europe, you bring your own cable to plug into the station vs. the permanently attached J1772 cables here.

The translation says that the Leaf also comes with a 32 A / 7.4 kW Mode 3 Type 1 / Type 2 charging cable. They refer to Type 1 sockets in the Leaf and e-NV200 and "charging stations with Type 2 sockets (all public charging stations in Europe)".

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Return to “Europe”