UK ZCW Charging Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Great Work.

Are there provisions for ongoing maintenance?

Is each host location paying for the electricity?

How are you handling the parking spaces being ICEd?

How about ICE RVs, Caravans, etc. using the free electricity
for free overnight camping, heating, or air conditioning?

Thanks, Gary

garygid said:
Are there provisions for ongoing maintenance?
Every site takes on responsibility for maintenance and regular safety testing as part of the donation agreement. Nothing new or different about this because these sites do this anyway for all electrical equipment.

garygid said:
Is each host location paying for the electricity?
Yes, the site is paying for electricity. To date none of the sites want to charge for electricity directly but instead roll it into another service (eat, drink, sleep, play, etc.).

I play a little game when I visit sites... I try to find a bottle of mineral water on the menu that's cheaper than the amount a site will pay to recharge a Leaf... I haven't found one in almost 100 site visits.

garygid said:
How are you handling the parking spaces being ICEd?
Every site takes on responsibility for allocating preferential parking to EV as part of the donation agreement. We will also supply clear signage for the spots as well.

garygid said:
How about ICE RVs, Caravans, etc. using the free electricity for free overnight camping, heating, or air conditioning?
Every site has a 'managed' car park in so much as the management team can monitor the charging station in some way. Obviously, if they experience abuse then they simply turn off the power.

This will become even less of an issue as we move towards EV specific connectors ("Type 2 or "mennekes" in Q1 next year).

KevinSharpe said:
Every site has a 'managed' car park in so much as the management team can monitor the charging station in some way. Obviously, if they experience abuse then they simply turn off the power.

This will become even less of an issue as we move towards EV specific connectors ("Type 2 or "mennekes" in Q1 next year).

Kevin do the cars on your side of the pond use J1772 connectors ?

KJD said:
Kevin do the cars on your side of the pond use J1772 connectors ?
We have a mixture of AC connectors on cars today; J1772 (IEC 62196 Type 1), mennekes (IEC 62196 Type 2), Tesla, and proprietary...

The UK will follow the EU and shift to Type 2 connectors on Charging Stations from next year. Cars will then carry a charging cable to match their car, so the Leaf will carry a Type 2 to Type 1.

We have a lot of 3 Phase power in homes and businesses in Europe and therefore J1772 is not an ideal solution in the longer term.

Wikipedia IEC 62196 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_62196

Back