KevinSharpe
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2011

Charge Bay Alert!

Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:01 am

"Charge Bay Alert! lets you contact the driver of an Electric Car that is already charging at a charge station to let him/her know that there is another Electric Car driver waiting to charge"

http://www.chargebayalert.co.uk/
Investor/Tinkerer in Biomethane, Electric Transport, Hydrogen, Hydropower, Solar, Wind & Wave.

http://about.me/kevinsharpe

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Re: Charge Bay Alert!

Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:10 am

KevinSharpe wrote:"Charge Bay Alert! lets you contact the driver of an Electric Car that is already charging at a charge station to let him/her know that there is another Electric Car driver waiting to charge"

If I'm the driver of the car that is already charging why would I care?
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

KevinSharpe
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2011

Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:31 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:If I'm the driver of the car that is already charging why would I care?
lets say you're in a Chevy Volt or Tesla Model S and don't need a full charge... but the diver contacting you is in a Leaf and needs the charge... community spirit ;)
Investor/Tinkerer in Biomethane, Electric Transport, Hydrogen, Hydropower, Solar, Wind & Wave.

http://about.me/kevinsharpe

SnaxMuppet
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:44 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:
KevinSharpe wrote:"Charge Bay Alert! lets you contact the driver of an Electric Car that is already charging at a charge station to let him/her know that there is another Electric Car driver waiting to charge"

If I'm the driver of the car that is already charging why would I care?

Interesting...

How will you feel when your EV is almost dead and you turn up to a charge station desperate to charge to get home and in the charge bay is another EV... plugged in but not charging because it is already fully charged. You cannot unplug that car and plug in yourself because the charge station locks in the EVSE and will not release the flap without the original card.

You will be wishing there was a way to contact that car's driver to tell him you need to charge and to ask that as his car is now fully charged would he please return to unplug to allow you to plug in.

Charge Bay Alert! provides a way. It is a simple case of helping others so that they might help you. If everyone was registered and everyone responded to the Alerts then it would make your charging and everyone else's charging easier and less hassle.

Obviously you don't have to participate but it is free to register and free to use so why not? Yes, it does require a bit of community spirit but most EV drivers will see the benefit and will participate as it benefits everyone in the long term.

We will be launching in the USA early in 2012.

Paul Churchley
Charge Bay Alert!

Electric4Me
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 04 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 772

Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:34 pm

I like the concept, and think it's a worthwhile effort. I am however doubtful that sufficient "market penetration" could ever be achieved to make it practical.

Also, if you actually did find a Charge Bay Alert registered car at the charge station, it would be best if some two way dialog could occur. If I received a notification from the system it would be good to respond with a "sorry, need a full charge" or "no problem, I'll be there in XX minutes" or "I'm done, go ahead and unplug me" or whatever made sense.

Bill
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

ILETRIC
Delivery Date: 04 Jun 2011

Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Charge Bay Alert will be a necessity -- sooner than later. Particularly for L2 but hopefully not so much for L3 - no one needs to hog that one for too long.
------------------------------------------------
1st bar lost at 38,700 miles/22 months
2nd bar lost at 45,750 miles/27 months

Traded-in on 10-19-2014 at 56,150 miles
-------------> for Kia Soul EV+ <-------------

SnaxMuppet

Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:27 am

Electric4Me wrote:I like the concept, and think it's a worthwhile effort. I am however doubtful that sufficient "market penetration" could ever be achieved to make it practical.

Also, if you actually did find a Charge Bay Alert registered car at the charge station, it would be best if some two way dialog could occur. If I received a notification from the system it would be good to respond with a "sorry, need a full charge" or "no problem, I'll be there in XX minutes" or "I'm done, go ahead and unplug me" or whatever made sense.

Bill

Yes, this is a good point :)

This is still very much the first stage of development of the service and it is really still in "testing mode" here in the UK so it is very early days.

I agree, two way communication will be necessary. I am talking to various comms services companies to provide annonymous voice or SMS communication between the two parties. This is technically possible but we need to understand how it would work and what the costs might be. I am hoping that the service will be free to register and to use and funded by voluntary donations by those that find it useful but if the costs of voice communication is too high then we may need to think again. It might be that 2 way SMS might work and might be the most cost effective solution.

I do agree that it needs market penetration for it to be useful to everyone but as there is no cost or disadvantage to register or to use it might get offered by the manufacturers or dealers when a new EV is purchased. Having said that... if you register and only use it once then it was worthwhile wasn't it?

I can see this not only being useful with L2 but also L3... perhaps even more so because there is much more likelihood that the car in the bay is already fully charged when you arrive and an alert to the owner might mean they could return sooner than they otherwise might have.

As I say... early days and keep your thoughts coming please... there is no point in us deveoping a service no one wants so if we can get to hear what you, the EV driver, actually doees want perhaps we can deliver it :)

Paul
Charge Bay Alert!

Electric4Me
Gold Member

Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:02 pm

SnaxMuppet wrote:I agree, two way communication will be necessary. I am talking to various comms services companies to provide annonymous voice or SMS communication between the two parties. This is technically possible but we need to understand how it would work and what the costs might be. I am hoping that the service will be free to register and to use and funded by voluntary donations by those that find it useful but if the costs of voice communication is too high then we may need to think again. It might be that 2 way SMS might work and might be the most cost effective solution.

I'm not sure that 100% anonymous is required. I could see it working like responding to a Craig's List ad: The arriving driver sends the message to the "occupying" driver the anonymous way you describe, but that message includes the arriving driver's cell phone number. The occupying driver then calls, texts, or ignores at their discretion.
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

SnaxMuppet

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:28 am

Electric4Me wrote:
SnaxMuppet wrote:I agree, two way communication will be necessary. I am talking to various comms services companies to provide annonymous voice or SMS communication between the two parties. This is technically possible but we need to understand how it would work and what the costs might be. I am hoping that the service will be free to register and to use and funded by voluntary donations by those that find it useful but if the costs of voice communication is too high then we may need to think again. It might be that 2 way SMS might work and might be the most cost effective solution.

I'm not sure that 100% anonymous is required. I could see it working like responding to a Craig's List ad: The arriving driver sends the message to the "occupying" driver the anonymous way you describe, but that message includes the arriving driver's cell phone number. The occupying driver then calls, texts, or ignores at their discretion.

That is how I saw it at first but I have had some requests not to give out their cell number to anyone so to satisfy everyone I was thinking it would be anonymous.

However, I ccould always have a option on registration that gives authority for us to hand out the cell number. I would imagine that most people wouldn't mind their cell being sent to the occupying driver if it means they call you to discuss the situation. But with an option on registration you could choose.

Thanks.

Electric4Me
Gold Member

Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:41 am

SnaxMuppet wrote:
Electric4Me wrote:

That is how I saw it at first but I have had some requests not to give out their cell number to anyone so to satisfy everyone I was thinking it would be anonymous.

However, I ccould always have a option on registration that gives authority for us to hand out the cell number. I would imagine that most people wouldn't mind their cell being sent to the occupying driver if it means they call you to discuss the situation. But with an option on registration you could choose.

Thanks.

OK, then the folks who don't want their cell phone number given to the occupying driver simply wouldn't get 2-way communication. No need to take on the additional complication that you first described.
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

Return to “Europe”