Stranded with incapacitated leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a sad story. It looks like they were using the L1 EVSE that came from Nissan. I wonder why they didn't leave it behind? (other than the obvious replacement cost...)

The solenoid would not open. If power dies there should be a provision for manual release of course, bad design. I can see some real brain power was applied here. A simple cut of the cord very close to the cover and then replacing the plug end of the EVSE for under $20 would have got you on your way with your EVSE. They could even retrieve the end and it certainly costs less than breaking the unit or all those people and removing the post with it still attached to the EVSE. At least they did not jack hammer the ground as well! How many people does it take to remove an EVSE?

EVDRIVER said:
The solenoid would not open. If power dies there should be a provision for manual release of course, bad design. I can see some real brain power was applied here. A simple cut of the cord very close to the cover and then replacing the plug end of the EVSE for under $20 would have got you on your way with your EVSE. They could even retrieve the end and it certainly costs less than breaking the unit or all those people and removing the post with it still attached to the EVSE. At least they did not jack hammer the ground as well! How many people does it take to remove an EVSE?

The OP posted an update where he addressed this:

I thought about cutting the plug off, but leaving a (potentially) live wire hanging in the street didn't seem like the best idea.

For all we know (and we don't really know much about these posts) they may well reset at a given time each day, and it could have gone live after that.

It is east to cut the cord under the cover and slip a piece of tape over the end as well as a note. Not a big deal. If it was a blown breaker then someone needs to be sent to check it regardless, if it is a blown PS in the unit the same applies. Removing the charge station would result in even more exposed wires in the ground which is worse. In general I would not lock my EVSE plug in a unit like this ever.

Anyone know whether the door-lock solenoid in a Coulomb is of the fail-open or fail-closed variety?

Update:

From Coulomb's FAQ page:

What happens if there is a power failure while I'm charging my plug-in vehicle? How do I get my cord back?

During a power failure, the Coulomb ChargePoint Networked Charging Station will unlock. This is a patented feature. When power is restored, charging will resume, as long as your cord is plugged in. You can terminate the charging session normally with your Smart Card, remove your cord and the station will re-lock.

Might want to change the thread title. His LEAF wasn't incapacitated at all...just the EVSE was trapped.

Failing in an unlocked state is patented? Does that mean they can force everyone else to fail locked? :lol:

This is definitely a plus for having the J1772 end actually attached to the charging station, rather than having to use your own EVSE.

If this is a common problem, maybe get a very short extension cord with a power plug lock?

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-488-Rotating-Electrical/dp/B0010EED30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In case of emergency, unlock and leave the short extension behind. Maybe leave your contact phone # on it as well.

I would have just crow-barred the thing. Sorry, their machine doesn't have the right to hold you or your property hostage and I doubt if they'd want the press from insisting that it should have.

But the more intriguing question concerns the relationship with the cousin who apparently can be trusted in the garage, but not the HOUSE? Poor bloke! :lol:

lenny said:
If this is a common problem, maybe get a very short extension cord with a power plug lock?
Best suggestion yet. I don't want to carry a crowbar and I don't want to carry cable cutters.
Actually, I do carry an extension cord. I also carry a small padlock that locks my L1 charger to my car.

1. It looks like the Nissan EVSE under the LEAF's hood,
with an inexpensive extension cord to the "Captive-End"
type charging station might be a "better" way to go.

2. Or, possibly use the short L6-20R to 5-15P adapter
cord with the Upgraded Nissan EVSE.

3. Nissan does provide a "crowbar", I think. The "other"
end of the supplied "Lug Nut Wrench" might work, right?

Kevin, please change the thread title. We don't want the Anti-EV Brigade trolling here and reporting "LEAF owners getting stranded again, EVs are an idea whose time has not come" or some such tripe.

Suggested replacement thread title: "Some public charging points can fail closed, trap your cable"

I don't understand why they didn't just unplug the J1772 from the LEAF and drive away.
Sure, you would rather not leave your portable EVSE left behind, but it was "locked down" so no one could take it.
They could have left a note on the EVSE, and called someone to retrieve it later.

I thought about cutting the plug off, but leaving a (potentially) live wire hanging in the street didn't seem like the best idea.
Twist the protruding wires together so power can't be restored (trips the breaker) ;)

i think we ALL need to reread the J1772 standard.

does it not have a pilot signal that must be engaged before power flows?

cutting the plug and leaving the wires dangling as i understand it is supposed to present zero danger PERIOD. no pilot signal, no power. period.

correct me if i am wrong

DaveinOlyWA said:
i think we ALL need to reread the J1772 standard.

does it not have a pilot signal that must be engaged before power flows?

cutting the plug and leaving the wires dangling as i understand it is supposed to present zero danger PERIOD. no pilot signal, no power. period.

correct me if i am wrong
This was not a J1772 EVSE. The driver was using his UK portable EVSE to plug into a standard socket on the charging station. The plug could be energized without a car plugged in. I would have crowbarred the thing.

Back