Nissan LEAF UK Test Drives

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBoxwell

I got my first test drive in the Nissan LEAF here in the UK today. I'll write up a proper 'first impressions' review later when I've had a chance, but I thought I'd share my first impressions now.

It's a very good car and in some ways it is better than I would have expected: after driving EV12, one of the test mules, earlier this year, I was concerned that the car could be dull to drive. Thankfully, that wasn't the case at all. It's certainly not a sports car, but it handles nicely, accelerates well and is generally a very entertaining car to drive. The car has very little body roll and rides nicely over pot-holes. In Europe, the current fashion is to have firm suspension settings, and the Nissan LEAF's suspension was a little firmer than I would have liked, but that is in common with most new cars. I suspect the American version will have softer settings and this will probably improve the car. When pushed, the car under-steered slightly under heavy acceleration, but responded well to sudden changes of direction (as if swerving to avoid an obstacle), helped in part to the lack of body roll.

Steering is lightweight and the ultra-smooth electric drivetrain makes driving the car utterly effortless. There is plenty of power in the car and we drove at speeds of up to 75mph quite happily. Low and mid range acceleration is very good, as you would expect. Accelerating above 65mph with four people in the car is maybe feels slightly sluggish, but is still perfectly acceptable and no worse than a lot smaller engined gasoline equivalents.

The controls are very easy to use and understand. There are quite a few gadgets and gimmicks to play with if you want to, but if you're not interested in any of that, you can just get in and drive. You don't need to know what they all do and they don't get in the way of the car.

This was just a first drive, so I can't tell you what the realistic range is likely to be. The car computer showed us a range of around 160km (100 miles) when we started and whilst driving slowly in heavy traffic, that went up as high as 200km (125 miles). However, put your foot down and that range can drop just as quickly as well. However, after a twenty mile drive on a variety of roads and driving in a mixture of conditions, the car was reporting a 126km range (78 mile range). And that was certainly not using eco-driving techniques all the time.

The car employs regenerative braking, including very light regenerative braking when you take your foot off the accelerator (which gives it a very similar feel to taking your foot off the accelerator on a normal gasoline car - the car slows down slightly due to mechanical friction, but not hugely so). As you apply the brake pedal, regen kicks in further, slowing the car down reasonably quickly. With some practice, you can drive this car without using the mechanical brakes at all.

At higher speeds, both road noise and wind noise is noticeable - moreso than a gasoline car, but that is just because normally when you're inside a gasoline car, those noises are being drowned out by the engine. The noise is certainly not obtrusive. Compared to a car like the Mitsubishi i-MiEV, the LEAF had more road noise but less wind noise, but either way, it is certainly much quieter than a gasoline car. The electronic sound at low speeds can hardly be heard inside the car - we had to travel at around 3mph with the windows open to hear it at all. It's a low frequency buzzing sound with a very quiet higher pitch beep. When I first heard it, it made me turn around but it certainly didn't sound a yucky noise, so in that respect it does its job well.

Fit and finish of the car looked good, but the car didn't have quite the same premium feel as the show cars that Nissan were using a few months ago. Maybe that is simply because once you've got a bit of grime on the paintwork and some scuffs on the tires, it doesn't have that showroom feel any more, but when I saw the car a few months back, it felt like a match for a BMW, Audi, Lexus or Mercedes. This car didn't. This felt like a competitor for a Honda, Ford or Toyota: still very good, but not premium.

So how does it compare to a car like the Prius? Well, very positively in my opinion. The Prius has slighly more luggage space, but otherwise interior accommodation in both cars is similar. Both cars are easy to drive, with the Nissan being much the smoother and quieter of the two cars. The Nissan has better performance and handling whilst the Prius has better ride. Most of all, the Nissan is a far better drivers car. If you want to drive spiritedly, you can have fun in the LEAF. Do that in the Prius and it just feels uncomfortable.

My choice? I'd go for the LEAF over a Prius every time. Nissan have built a very good car.

Mike, thanks for an excellent early review.

The comparison to Prius at the end was much appreciated, and I think will be appreciated by many here because many are current Prius owners. As a BMW 3 Series coupe driver, I am particularly interested in road manners and handling, and it is really encouraging to have a favorable comparison to my wife's 2007 Prius, which I choose to drive as little as possible. (Though as I write this, I realize that the common wisdom is that almost anything has better handling than a Prius.)

Thanks again and cheers. Phil

A transplanted Liverpudlian.

Boomer23 said:
As a BMW 3 Series coupe driver, I am particularly interested in road manners and handling.

In terms of handling, this car is not a patch on a BMW 3-series coupe. It is good, but it isn't a sports car, it's a family car.

A closer comparison would be a European-spec Ford Focus: here in Europe, the Focus is regarded as entertaining and enjoyable to drive whilst being a practical family car. (I have never tried a US spec Ford Focus, so I can't comment on that one).

MikeBoxwell said:
With some practice, you can drive this car without using the mechanical brakes at all.

The LEAF will be my first EV. I've never driven one either. I might need a few lessons on how to drive without using the brakes, once I get my LEAF. I hope you are up for teaching some of us newbies some of your techniques.

Thanks for the great, honest review. I will look forward to more. Did you video your test drive?

Mike, nice write up - looking forward to your full review.

BTW, did you ever get to drive Fluence - is that getting sold in UK anythime soon ?

The LEAF will be my first EV. I've never driven one either. I might need a few lessons on how to drive without using the brakes, once I get my LEAF. I hope you are up for teaching some of us newbies some of your techniques.

You drive normally, but brake gently. On the Nissan LEAF, when you touch the brake pedal, the first bit of braking comes from regenerative braking - effectively using the wheels to turn the motor, which makes it a generator to recharge the batteries. The mechanical brakes only come on when you give the pedal a harder shove.

Did you video your test drive?

Some of it. I will be putting up a video on YouTube when I get a chance, but that might not be for a few days.

BTW, did you ever get to drive Fluence - is that getting sold in UK anythime soon ?

I've sat in the Renault Fluence but I haven't driven one yet. Originally, the Fluence was supposed to be coming to the UK next year, but it looks like that has now slipped to Summer, 2012. I am hopeful of getting a drive later in the summer though.

Mike - you stated that the car showed 100 mile range when you got in. Curious if the car was being charged before you got in and if so, on what sort of charger - a normal J1772 or a Lvl 3 charger? This is a question I was also curious about for the San Jose drives.

So, I would like to know if the suspension settings are the same in Europe and US. It seems like from reviews here in the US that the suspension is softer with more body roll. :( Nissan, just make the suspension the same as the European counterpart, please!! I do hope Nissan is not copying the suspension of a Prius, that thing is a boat.

MikeBoxwell said:
In terms of handling, this car is not a patch on a BMW 3-series coupe. It is good, but it isn't a sports car, it's a family car.

Understood, Mike. The BMW is a high bar for most cars to reach. I'm just glad that you found the Leaf entertaining.

trentr said:
So, I would like to know if the suspension settings are the same in Europe and US. It seems like from reviews here in the US that the suspension is softer with more body roll. :( Nissan, just make the suspension the same as the European counterpart, please!! I do hope Nissan is not copying the suspension of a Prius, that thing is a boat.
Me too - or if it is too soft - hopefully it can be easily rectified with an inexpensive spring replacement.

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
Mike - you stated that the car showed 100 mile range when you got in. Curious if the car was being charged before you got in and if so, on what sort of charger - a normal J1772 or a Lvl 3 charger? This is a question I was also curious about for the San Jose drives.

The car wasn't on charge when I got to it. Apparently they have level 3 charging capabilities at the Nissan site I was at, but I didn't get to see them on this occasion.

Trentr said:
Nissan, just make the suspension the same as the European counterpart, please!!

Obviously, I can't speak for Nissan, but it is fairly standard for each country to make minor adjustments to the cars to suit local tastes - suspension settings, steering geometry, wheels, tires and different options from the options list offered as standard. Some countries offer different options on suspension settings as well: you'll often see a 'sports suspension' or 'lux suspension' on the options list for a new car.

sjfotos said:
See, here is where a manufacturer cannot win. I buy Toyota and Lexus cars because I like the soft suspension and isolation. None of that Teutonic Torture for me!

My own personal taste is for a slightly softer suspension setting. I think the LEAF could take it as well - the weight of the batteries are low down in the car which means body roll should still be minimal and I could waft over all the bumps and potholes in the roads. And here in the UK, there are plenty of bumps and potholes in the roads!

Question for Mike or anyone here I guess. I believe LEAF comes with remote tire pressure monitoring; in the spec sheet= " (TPMS)" . Tire pressure certainly affects ride, handling and EV range. I haven't seen anything resembling tire pressure on any of the screen shots or vids so far. Did I miss that or is it just a light that comes on when any tire is low?

mwalsh said:
Just so long as it doesn't ride like a Caprice or Crown Vic!

Oh yeah.

By some series of events I cannot recall, I was once the proud owner of a blue 1973 Chevy Caprice...all 400 cubic inches of Detroit Iron. It had the same feel as my 21 foot Larson Runabout :)

Back