Aussie

Re: Nissan "Out-of-Warranty" support for battery pack degradation

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:08 pm

SageBrush wrote:These reports of a quasi pro-rata warranty are VERY welcome news. I sure hope that Nissan makes it official and published.

+1 This is great news and a welcome change of heart on Nissan's behalf. Glad to see them finally looking after their early adopters.

drees

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:31 am

OrientExpress wrote:The old story that "if you don't get the answer you want from one phone agent, hang up and call another one" would be applicable here

I tried that the first time with no luck, they came back with the same answer. I was going to wait until the car dropped another bar (should be another 2-3 months or so), but maybe I'll try again. Getting LBW after 35 miles really sucks. I hit LBW every other day now. First year I think I hit LBW like 3 times total!

Congrats Randy on getting the 80/20% deal!

Aussie wrote:
SageBrush wrote:These reports of a quasi pro-rata warranty are VERY welcome news. I sure hope that Nissan makes it official and published.
+1 This is great news and a welcome change of heart on Nissan's behalf. Glad to see them finally looking after their early adopters.

I would not hold your breath. I was hopeful, even august last August when I asked for out-of-warranty assistance. There have been reports of out-of-warranty assistance from Nissan for at least a year and even before the Klee settlement Nissan was replacing battery packs for Arizona owners. The baffling and frustrating part about the process is that there appears to be no clear determination as to what the criteria for granting any out-of warranty is.
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

redLEAF
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:25 am

This looks encouraging BUT, in my own case my 1 (almost to 2 bar) down car could no longer reliably handle my daily work commute so couldn't imagine what it would be once it was at 4 down; although I've got AAA for towing, being late for work, etc. or staking out the public charger access would have been too much of a PITA. This bodes well with whoever might have ended up with my '12 SL though --- I can still remember years ago saying to those who worked for me with 2nd-hand beater cars that always made them late for work --- get something reliable that you can trust to get you to work on time --- my LEAF would have NOT unfortunately been that car sorry to say so unless I opted for an outright on-my-own-dime battery replacement, which seemed liked throwing money away (still have not seen much on the 'value' increasing vs not on resale values) those who can wait for this must be in the minority (very low daily driving needs) but pleased to see that at least some are taking Nissan to task on extending the usability of their cars ---
2015 VW e-Golf LE (CPO - 1.2K miles!)
Pacific Blue
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
Cayenne Red
(Chicago 2018?) Tesla Model 3
reserved at Highland Park, IL 3/31/16
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

Durandal
Delivery Date: 22 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 025018

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:39 am

SageBrush wrote:
Durandal wrote:[That, and the fact that the battery has an 8 year warranty to not go 100% out on you,

What does this mean ?

On the 24kWh models, while there is the 5 year battery capacity warranty, there is an 8 year warranty against complete failure. That doesn't mean 1 bar or 2 bars, but just completely dead, won't even go down the road for 1 mile at speed.
Pulled the trigger on going EV on 10/2016 with a 2012 Leaf, and a Tesla Model 3 reservation expected to receive in late 2018.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:52 am

Durandal wrote:
SageBrush wrote:
Durandal wrote:[That, and the fact that the battery has an 8 year warranty to not go 100% out on you,

What does this mean ?

On the 24kWh models, while there is the 5 year battery capacity warranty, there is an 8 year warranty against complete failure. That doesn't mean 1 bar or 2 bars, but just completely dead, won't even go down the road for 1 mile at speed.

I'm reasonably sure that the 8 year warranty you speak of is for defects in workmanship. It is most certainly not a warranty against aging, but it is also not a distance warranty even though defects would typically be identified by range loss.

There was a thread here a couple months ago of a new 30 kWh LEAF that came from the manufacturer with a weak cell that lead to range of about 30 miles. Nissan originally refused warranty care but eventually someone was found at corporate with a few brain cells remaining who realized this was a manufacturing defect and replaced the battery.
Last edited by SageBrush on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

rpmdk

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:49 am

Randy wrote:I called the 877 Nissan number and spoke to Brian about my battery (down 4 bars at 50,000 miles). The car is 6 years and 4 months old, so way out of warranty. He said I needed to get a battery test before he could help me, but hinted that they would offer to help in some way (no promises). Had test done locally for $79, and sent him the results. He came back in 3 days with an 80/20% deal (I pay 20% for the replacement). I'm in the process of getting it ordered now...

So, by all means, call the 877 no gas ev number and see what they'll do. They seem to be helping several folks out locally with a similar deal, so that's good news....

That's encouraging. Maybe I'll fork over the money for a test.
Thank you

abasile
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:41 am

While I don't see it happening, I'd appreciate a cut-rate deal from Nissan on a replacement battery pack (ideally with 30+ kWh). That would enable us to use the LEAF a lot more.

The "trouble" is, our LEAF is only missing two capacity bars (though it seems pretty close to dropping a third bar), but its reduced range and crippled regen make it impractical for a good fraction of our routine driving. So it stays in our cool mountain environment and is used only for shorter drives (virtually no trips off the mountain, just used within our local mountain communities). As a result, the battery capacity is dropping at a very slow rate; it's possible that it will be missing only three capacity bars when it reaches eight years old. Admittedly, it's been a couple of years since I've bothered taking it down the mountain for a battery check.

Part of our issue is that the 24 kWh pack was sort of marginal for us from the beginning. But in early 2011, the 24 kWh LEAF was the only "mass market" EV with room for five people, so we did our best to make it work for quite a while.

Buying a used Tesla last year was helpful to me in recalibrating my expectations for our aging, greatly-depreciated LEAF. Now that we have an EV with lots of range and Supercharging, the LEAF is filling the role of a "second car" pretty well. Sure, it won't go far, but it's pretty low maintenance and it has more value to us than it would have on the used car market.
2011 LEAF at 67K miles, pre-owned 2012 Tesla S 85 now at 80K miles
LEAF battery: 10/12 bars and < 49 Ah (-27% vs. new)
Tesla battery: 250+ miles of range (-5% vs. new)

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:23 am

abasile wrote:Part of our issue is that the 24 kWh pack was sort of marginal for us from the beginning. But in early 2011, the 24 kWh LEAF was the only "mass market" EV with room for five people, so we did our best to make it work for quite a while.

Buying a used Tesla last year was helpful to me in recalibrating my expectations for our aging, greatly-depreciated LEAF. Now that we have an EV with lots of range and Supercharging, the LEAF is filling the role of a "second car" pretty well. Sure, it won't go far, but it's pretty low maintenance and it has more value to us than it would have on the used car market.
Exactly my assessment -- the 24 - 30 kWh LEAF is a great second car to have for local commuter duties. After a bar or two are lost, any notion of the car being more useful than that are dispelled.

Nissan's problem is getting people to pay $30k for a commuter.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:45 am

Several owners here took Nissan to BBB arbitration for the battery issues past warranty expiration and got a new pack for free. Hopefully Nissan has finally realized that spitting the cost is a better deal.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB)
60.5AHr, SOH 94%, 105k miles
9kW Solar

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”