Portable Charge Cable for 2018 LEAF?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1... If they made the 30 amp cable TOO portable, that constant load may turn off the breakers on a lower rated power line..

I would imagine they explain that in the manual??

powersurge said:
+1... If they made the 30 amp cable TOO portable, that constant load may turn off the breakers on a lower rated power line..

I would imagine they explain that in the manual??

They made sure of that. I will likely never use mine. Too bulky. My EVSE upgrade is half the size and just as capable

Evoforce said:
EVDRIVER said:
Evoforce said:
A dryer in the US is 30 amp 240 volts with 10 gauge wire (usually). Yes technically, it should be a charge drawing no more than 24 amp continuous, but (I) would still do it at 27 amp. Apparently you have the blessing of the Nissan on this one.

This is an irresponsible stance for the record, the 24A rating is the continuous load rating of the outlet and the dryer outlets are often old and worn. In addition I can assure you that someone will plug the unit into a car that can draw the full 30A as well. Any adapter from a 50A to a 30A is also a complete hazard as someone will plug a 50A load into one of them at some point. Because Nissan marketing has the wrong wording on the site is no reason to imply this is acceptable or safe. There are so many reasons this is a bad idea and so many instances of history of this that it's really a poor position to suggest this. There are so many instances of people creating hazards making screw on type adapters that fail and using them to do things like this and the last thing we need is endorsing that type of behavior. You can do as you choose of course but please don't suggest this is safe or acceptable because there are large numbers of people that will do this and cobble together an adapter that will fail or use an outlet or device that can't safely handle the inappropriate load.

The circuit is over designed to allow headroom and the 30 amp breaker is the built-in fail-safe. Changing the wall permanent outlet was not suggested on my part. If the EVSE is in fact 27 amps, this is a mere 3 amps over. It is not ideal and generally not recommended but it is very close to parameters.

We are going to leave it because it appears... however, the car manufacturer is instructing to do so.

No it's not "over designed" it is derated for safety and there are continuous duty breakers marked 30A and rated for 30A use. These breakers have different connections to prevent the wires from coming off from heating and contraction cycles and preventing high resistance leading to arcs, etc. I don't recall mentioning changing the outlet I said using an adapter which is completely irresponsible and there is no such adapter made that is compliant to do this for a very good reason. What you call "generally not recommended" is actually not to code and should not be done. Unfortunately you are trying to justify dangerous and irresponsible implementations by eliminating many facts. Besides the fact the circuit should not run over 24A as is eliminates the required headroom (there for a reason) you also fail to address the fact that the EVSE can draw 30A in any vehicle that can draw that current. This is exactly why these standards are in place and I can assure you some ignorant person will build an adapter that will melt and someone will also use the Nissan EVSE on another car they own that is 30A plus rated, it happens every single day.

Lastly, using the argument that Nissan instructed you to do so is pretty comical. Please post the link where they "instructed" you to make an adapter and plug a 50A rated plug into a 30A circuit. Nissan mistakenly called an outlet a dryer is in no way a justification to pound a square peg in a round hole and say it's fine. I really wish people would stop posting reckless electrical advice, there are far too many uninformed DIY types trying to cobble together adapters in the wrong direction and using the wrong wire gauge, etc.

The EVSE is rated for 30A and it needs to be on a 40A plus circuit to be safe, end of story.

cwerdna said:
Evoforce said:
On page three the first poster it looks like pasted a passage from what I interpreted as an instruction manual.
Apparently not, but I found a place that has such a passage:
https://www.nissanusa.com/buildyour...rtable-charge-cable-(120-V-240-V)/Performance
That was me that posted the image (from a screenshot), and as I said in the same post it came from Nissan's "configure/build" page. Thanks for finding the direct link to the image.

I think we can all agree that the verbiage there is at best misleading and at worst dangerous (as I also suggested back on page three) - hopefully someone at Nissan is paying attention and will remove/change the text! While it's good to know that the manual has the correct info about the EVSE I would expect a great deal more Leaf drivers will read the marketing materials than read the manual.

I applaud the spirit of Nissan's decision to bundle a level 2 EVSE with the car (at least some versions), but as with so many things Leaf-related they botched the execution.

Thanks for your replies.

I took delivery of the Leaf and to my surprise, it came with a "portable charge cable" in ALL trim levels. However, the "build your car" function on the Nissan website doesn't state this and implies that you have to buy the "charge package" in S, "technology package" in SV or SL trims to get the "portable charge cable".

The cable that the S and SV comes with is 120V only. The optional cable (standard for SL) is 120/240V.

I did not have to buy a charge cable. Between the free recharges for 2 years that NIssan offers and the trickle charge cable, I'm doing just fine. No 120/240V "portable charge cable" required.

All trim levels come with a "portable charge cable" to charge the Leaf with! Yay!

Nissan needs to bold the 240v function of the optional charger. That makes a major difference in the charger capability. I miss read it and it looked to me like you had to buy a $2000 option package to get a basic 120v charger!?

Did anyone post a picture of the actual device? In the wild. Not nissan's image.

I just brought my 2018 Nissan Leaf S home. When I opened the portable charging cable provided, it standard with level 2 (240) plug and a level 1 (110) adapter which snaps onto the level 2 plug. Quite nifty! This was not optional equipment.

campyleaf said:
I just brought my 2018 Nissan Leaf S home. When I opened the portable charging cable provided, it standard with level 2 (240) plug and a level 1 (110) adapter which snaps onto the level 2 plug. Quite nifty! This was not optional equipment.

You don't have the Charge Package with the second, larger charge port?

koolkev said:
Nissan needs to bold the 240v function of the optional charger. That makes a major difference in the charger capability. I miss read it and it looked to me like you had to buy a $2000 option package to get a basic 120v charger!?

Did anyone post a picture of the actual device? In the wild. Not nissan's image.
All Leafs still ship with at minimum a level 1 120 volt EVSE. Some Leafs instead ship with a 120/240 volt L1/L2 EVSE (see earlier discussion on which come with it or not).

For L1 and L2 AC charging over J1772, the charger is on-board the car. It's under the hood, in this case. The external device (e.g. brick w/2 cables) is an EVSE.

Please see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=262630#p262630 and https://web.archive.org/web/20150604142825/http://www.sae.org/smartgrid/chargingprimer.pdf.

As for an actual picture, I've personally seen it various Nissan EVents + when one was brought an '18 Leaf was brought to me for a test drive. Various people have posted a pictures.

Examples:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156658173042542&set=gm.1532459803478342&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1842595835754896&set=g.162244573806988&type=1&theater&ifg=1

FWIW, here's the 2018 Nissan Leaf owner's manual:

http://www.nissan.ca/content/dam/nissan/ca/owners/manuals/LEAF/2018-Nissan-LEAF.pdf

On page CH-5 they state:

Use only a 220-240 volt, 50 amp, dedicated outlet installed by a qualified electrician

So, there's nothing in the owner's manual recommending the use of a 14-30R...

Later, on CH-23, they again state:

The NISSAN Genuine L1 &L2 EVSE draws 30 amps continuously while charging the Li-ion battery with AC 220–240 volt outlet. Do not plug in to any electrical circuit unless it is inspected by a qualified electrician to confirm that the electrical circuit can accept a 30 amp draw

Hi maybe this will help:

The NISSAN Genuine L1 &L2 EVSE draws 30 amps continuously while charging the Li-ion battery with AC 220–240 volt outlet. 15 Amps with regular 110/102v 3-prong household.

For the 6.6kw charging in L2, you need to use the supplied EVSE and plug it into a NEMA 14-50 (dryer-type) outlet. The adapter takes it down to a 110/120v outlet size.

This Nissan EVSE L1/L2 comes standard with the SL in USA, and all versions (S/SV/SL) in Canada. Not sure about EU.

Pics below:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 3.20.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 3.20.14 PM.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 3.08.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 3.08.09 PM.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 119
kennethbokor said:
Hi maybe this will help:

The NISSAN Genuine L1 &L2 EVSE draws 30 amps continuously while charging the Li-ion battery with AC 220–240 volt outlet. 15 Amps with regular 110/102v 3-prong household.

For the 6.6kw charging in L2, you need to use the supplied EVSE and plug it into a NEMA 14-50 (dryer-type) outlet. The adapter takes it down to a 110/120v outlet size.

This Nissan EVSE L1/L2 comes standard with the SL in USA, and all versions (S/SV/SL) in Canada. Not sure about EU.

Pics below:
Thanks for adding the diagram Ken. There are a couple of problems with the text though:

1. It should only draw 12 amps on a regular 120V outlet
2. "Dryer-type" shouldn't really be applied to a NEMA 14-50 outlet - this language sparked some earlier discussion in this thread. Dryers are typically on 30-amp circuits, using a NEMA 14-30 outlet or the older 10-30. A device like the EVSE that draws 30 amps continuously shouldn't be used on a 30-amp circuit. Descriptions for the 14-50 outlet that fit its more common uses include "RV-type" or "Range-type".

kennethbokor said:
Hi maybe this will help:

Pics below:
It definitely looks like that male cord cap has "L for laundry" instead of a vertical prong. (Tail end)
Big mistake on Nissan's part if this is the case 14-30 plug is rated for 30A but not the breaker feeding it (only 24A cont.) Should be a 14-50.
Also if they have increased the 120V L1 to 15A cont. (1800W) the adapter should be equipped with a 5-20 male.

I can't believe how long this thread is and how many times the same info is being repeated.

I have just taken procession of my 2018 Leaf. I have checked out the charge cable. It has a 14-50 Plug on it.
It will only work in 50 Amp plug for RV or Ranges, not dryers.

rparry

rparry51 said:
I have just taken procession of my 2018 Leaf. I have checked out the charge cable. It has a 14-50 Plug on it.
It will only work in 50 Amp plug for RV or Ranges, not dryers.

rparry

That’s funny.

A quick question.
Does anyone knows how long the overall 2018 EVSE is?
I'm trying to figure out where to install the power outlet so I have enough distance to my car.
My car usually parks second in driveway behind my wife's van so I'm not sure it will be long enough.

Also I can't find any useful information on 14-50 outlet wiring on this board and a lot of the information on here is misleading too so here is little information for people who wants to install it themselves.

If you are looking for an outdoor outlet you can buy RV outdoor outlet box like this one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BQWP56/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1521821349&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=RV+50+box&dpPl=1&dpID=41kaWrlXp9L&ref=plSrch
(not an affiliate link) and install it outside of your house.
For 2018 Leaf you need to bring 3x 8awg copper wires. 2 are for power and one green for grounding though that one can be smaller 10awg. 4th white wire (middle one) is not needed if you use it only for charging the Car. It's not used. This set up requires 2 pole 40A breaker since any residential breakers can continuously only run on maximum 80% of rated capacity.
Alternatively you can run 6awg wires and install 50A breaker to future proof your installation if you ever buy car that charges at up to 40 amps.

One more thing I would like to point out.
If you live in north America you don't have 240V in your residence as I see referenced to all the time on this board.
What you have is 120V/208V
There's no such thing as 230V or 240V. Industrial plants or some businesses may have transformers installed for that voltage as it may be required by certain equipment.

Also I just registered to write this but will be more active in future. I ordered my Leaf 2 days ago and can't wait to bring it home :cool:

Mike

mike99ca said:
A quick question.
Does anyone knows how long the overall 2018 EVSE is?
I'm trying to figure out where to install the power outlet so I have enough distance to my car.
My car usually parks second in driveway behind my wife's van so I'm not sure it will be long enough.

Also I can't find any useful information on 14-50 outlet wiring on this board and a lot of the information on here is misleading too so here is little information for people who wants to install it themselves.

If you are looking for an outdoor outlet you can buy RV outdoor outlet box like this one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BQWP56/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1521821349&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=RV+50+box&dpPl=1&dpID=41kaWrlXp9L&ref=plSrch
(not an affiliate link) and install it outside of your house.
For 2018 Leaf you need to bring 3x 8awg copper wires. 2 are for power and one green for grounding though that one can be smaller 10awg. 4th white wire (middle one) is not needed if you use it only for charging the Car. It's not used. This set up requires 2 pole 40A breaker since any residential breakers can continuously only run on maximum 80% of rated capacity.
Alternatively you can run 6awg wires and install 50A breaker to future proof your installation if you ever buy car that charges at up to 40 amps.

One more thing I would like to point out.
If you live in north America you don't have 240V in your residence as I see referenced to all the time on this board.
What you have is 120V/208V
There's no such thing as 230V or 240V. Industrial plants or some businesses may have transformers installed for that voltage as it may be required by certain equipment.

Also I just registered to write this but will be more active in future. I ordered my Leaf 2 days ago and can't wait to bring it home :cool:

Mike

You have 120/240V in a residence NOT 208, 240V is two opposite legs of 120V. 208 is commercial power not residential , you have two separate legs of 120V to your home. You don't need a neutral and you need wire for a 50A circuit based on your run length and a 50A breaker to have a 50A outlet by code. This is a 20% derate for the 50A outlet to a 40A continuous load.

This illustrates why people should hire a licensed and qualified electrician as there is so much poor information even with some in the trade. Additionally your panel does not just have to have two breaker slots for the load it needs to be rated for the full outlet load based on the other loads in the panel, etc, etc, etc.

Hire a professional:)

Back