Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased some streamlignt batteries from eBay. They only lasted seversl months. Now when you remove the flashlight from the charger it is only bright for as few minutes. Same thing for a TRW dog nail grinder. It dies quickly removed from the charger.

I have purchased some acceptable stuff from Harbor Freight but not battery powered devices. Stay away from Chinese batteries!

trangen1 said:
But I'm not wasting $10 or $20 for the LeafSpy or Leafspy pro for this Forum and these ungrateful Cynics.

Like I said, I have nothing to prove nor disprove.

I have LEAFspy, but I didn't get it to satisfy anyone except myself. It is a very valuable tool, allowing you to drive with assurance you will get to your destination or next charging stop. The range meter in the car is too erratic and encourages range anxiety. WHen used correctly LEAFSpy will give you range assurance.

LEAFSpy also informs me of the PSI of each tire. I have noticed two slow punctures in the time I've had my LEAF and got them fixed before being stranded.

Anyone with a LEAF is encouraged to utilize LEAFSpy. I suggest LEAFSpy Pro.

As for Cynics, ignore them. The internet is an unforgiving medium and you have to interact here with that at the back of your mind. There is much of value to be learned here if you open yourself to the possibility and ignore the static.

When is Autozone going to start having the $2,850 batteries I read about online?

https://insideevs.com/nissan-introduces-refabricated-batteries-for-older-leaf-in-japan-from-new-4r-plant/

rtz said:
When is Autozone going to start having the $2,850 batteries I read about online?

https://insideevs.com/nissan-introduces-refabricated-batteries-for-older-leaf-in-japan-from-new-4r-plant/
I'm not sure these batteries are worth the price: From what I read online; they are removing the batteries from recycled Leaf packs that have already reached 80% usage. Nissan is still under the EV learning curve, way down near the bottom yet. You have to really do your homework when working with Nissan. Often times it's not what they say; but, what they don't say that screws you.

Lost my 4th bar today at 44,252 miles. 2013 SL I purchased used back in 2015. It appears the original in service date was 2013 March.

This means I'm technically out of warranty by 6 months. Is it even worth it for me to try to request partial financial assistance for a replacement pack?

Car has been great otherwise and the range loss does not affect my daily use. Weighing between getting a 2018 MY, keeping battery as is, or attempting to get it replaced with some discount. Full price at $6,500 seems like it's not worth it.

jdcbomb said:
Lost my 4th bar today at 44,252 miles. 2013 SL I purchased used back in 2015. It appears the original in service date was 2013 March.

This means I'm technically out of warranty by 6 months. Is it even worth it for me to try to request partial financial assistance for a replacement pack?

Car has been great otherwise and the range loss does not affect my daily use. Weighing between getting a 2018 MY, keeping battery as is, or attempting to get it replaced with some discount. Full price at $6,500 seems like it's not worth it.

Call the EV Customer Service line and ask. You have nothing to lose. It is probably better to call now than wait until you are further from warranty expiration date.

I was curious to see and sit in the 2018 so I stopped by my dealer yesterday. Although I did not test drive one, I like the specifications for the motor and battery. The exterior is OK and I like the rearranged console with cup holders just in front of the arm rest. I also like the electric parking brake like my 2011 had (no trouble with electric unit in 2011, but foot pedal and cable in 2015 require frequent adjustment). Unfortunately, the instrument panel puts the analog speedometer out of sight behind my right arm and hand in my normal seating position. I much prefer the digital speedometer in the eyebrow so I will be keeping my 2015.

jdcbomb said:
Full price at $6,500 seems like it's not worth it.
I agree that Nissan is screwing LEAF owners but I'd still think about a replacement. $6,500 for another ~ 5 years of use is a lot cheaper than $25,000 for ~ 8 - 10 years.

SageBrush said:
jdcbomb said:
I agree that Nissan is screwing LEAF owners but I'd still think about a replacement. $6,500 for another ~ 5 years of use is a lot cheaper than $25,000 for ~ 8 - 10 years.

If based on that analysis of annual cost over time indeed the new vehicle is the most expensive. However, if I factor in that I'll only get 30 to 40 miles additional range maximum for $6,500 versus 120 miles additional range for $17,000 more (given I'd be spending the $6,500 anyways), it may seem worth it to buy the new vehicle.

I did mention my daily use not really affected, but the flexibility would still be good as to further reduce use of our 2nd ICE vehicle that currently commutes 50 miles per day.

Update: So I just called and their immediate answer is no warranty replacement or financial assistance will be offered. No way to escalate. Pricing is still $6,500 + labor + tax. I guess I could try and send a note to Nissan Consumer Affairs, but I think that may be a waste of time and effort also...

GerryAZ said:
Unfortunately, the instrument panel puts the analog speedometer out of sight behind my right arm and hand in my normal seating position. I much prefer the digital speedometer in the eyebrow so I will be keeping my 2015.

For what it's worth, the 2018 has a lot of very helpful driver display screens, and one of them is a big digital speedometer.

The 2018 LEAF has always had a digital speedometer. But it also has quite a few new instruments that you can choose from. That is what it has a second digital speedometer with an analog needle.

18_LEAF_dual_speedometer.jpg

The little digital speedo, buried in the dash, is supplanted by the Pro Pilot display when that is used, IIRC. It is not very useful compared to the deleted eyebrow display.

SageBrush said:
jdcbomb said:

Not sure I can agree with that. My 2018 if it degrades at the current rate will still have over 100 miles of range at 100,000 miles. So if buying new (with better tech) There is a 6 year zero interest loan Nissan is offering and could mean a usable range easily extending 10+ years.

Nissan has done several things "not so good" but keeping the price the same while increasing features is definitely one of the things they have done right.

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
jdcbomb said:

Not sure I can agree with that. My 2018 if it degrades at the current rate will still have over 100 miles of range at 100,000 miles.
Too many IFs in your argument. I thought about it also and decided to use the NIssan warranty instead, particularly given Nissan's track record of engineering to the warranty. Also, your speculative argument conveniently leaves out the possible (may I say extremely probable ?) class leading technological depreciation.

As for you, remind me again why you lease ? You have already agreed with me by your actions.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:

Not sure I can agree with that. My 2018 if it degrades at the current rate will still have over 100 miles of range at 100,000 miles.
Too many IFs in your argument. I thought about it also and decided to use the NIssan warranty instead, particularly given Nissan's track record of engineering to the warranty. Also, your speculative argument conveniently leaves out the possible (may I say extremely probable ?) class leading technological depreciation.

As for you, remind me again why you lease ? You have already agreed with me by your actions.

Ah you know why I lease and I have another 29 months to change my mind. FWIW; My plan before I got the 2018 was getting a CPO LR T3 but that accident sidetracked that plan a bit... but its still on the board ;)

jdcbomb said:
SageBrush said:
jdcbomb said:
I agree that Nissan is screwing LEAF owners .......
Update: So I just called and their immediate answer is no warranty replacement or financial assistance will be offered. No way to escalate. Pricing is still $6,500 + labor + tax. I guess I could try and send a note to Nissan Consumer Affairs, but I think that may be a waste of time and effort also...

I was just quoted $8800 for a new battery for my 2011 Leaf at Mossy in SD. We're down to 6 bars and get 40 miles range. The good thing is my wife only works 8 miles away, the only question is how soon to trade it in. Very jealous of my neighbors, who leased theirs.

Nissan built 300,000 plus first generation Leafs; . They have made no effort to improve the range of these first gen cars; and, now are charging an ever-increasing, outrageous price for a replacement traction battery.

Their policy is to write them off and stick the customers with the loss...remember how badly Nissan treated their customers when you buy/lease your next car...tell your family and friends.

Weren't replacement batteries supposed to get cheaper over time? At least that's what a lot of people seemed to assume back in 2010-2012 when the first Leaf was introduced.

GetOffYourGas said:
Weren't replacement batteries supposed to get cheaper over time? At least that's what a lot of people seemed to assume back in 2010-2012 when the first Leaf was introduced.

They probably do cost Nissan less now than they did in 2011. The question should have been "Cheaper for whom...?"

GetOffYourGas said:
That was just wishful thinking on the part of buyers. I think the issue is that EV tech changes too rapidly for the manufacturers or 3rd parties to support older generations profitably, at a price we want to pay. Compound that by battery size, weight and bulk, and degradation on the shelf.

Heck, just the installation cost at a Nissan dealer is ~ $2000

Back