LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: Some talk of a NIssan Electric SUV

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:35 pm

If the other EV options don't improve their offerings quickly, Tesla is going to eat everyone's lunch. And that will be especially true once they get around to selling cars in the $30k range and resoundingly so once they get a model under $30k

Tesla is sport and range oriented. I love EVs, but with no heated steering wheel, a harsh ride, less than easy access, and other considerations, I wouldn't drive one. Maserati isn't eating Toyota's lunch.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:42 am

DarthPuppy wrote:If the other EV options don't improve their offerings quickly, Tesla is going to eat everyone's lunch. And that will be especially true once they get around to selling cars in the $30k range and resoundingly so once they get a model under $30k.

Tesla has a pretty good formula. Hopefully they can soon get their products into the under $30k bracket as that is what the country needs to really get widespread adoption.

Nobody is eating anyone's lunch... Tesla is the "Candyman" of evs, with the promise unimagined technical marvel. However, their business model is to relieve you of your children's inheritance when things need to be fixed down the road.

They may be selling many units now, but each unit that people "buy" (not lease =rent) will be so lacking in availability of aftermarket parts that Teslas will be selling for old Leaf prices in a few years.

Back to the topic, I want an EV SUV that is not just a bigger version of a 5 passenger Leaf... It should be a 6-7 passenger, three rows of passengers (lower to the ground than an SUV) in the style of the Mazda 5, which is a cross-over mini Minivan....

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:26 pm

DanCar wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
cwerdna wrote:So, Model 3 coming out of nowhere w/a very rocky production start last year is now outselling Leaf and Bolt each by about 10:1 in the US. That seems like decimation to me.

You got us there ;) . That seems like fairly close to the original definition of decimation.
Started with the Roman army. After poor performance in battle one in ten would be killed as punishment. Model 3 estimated sales last month was 14 times Bolt.

Exactly. Decimation implies that it is lowering the numbers. In fact, it is not. Tesla Model 3 sales are blowing past all other BEVs, but other BEVs' sales numbers are actually on the rise. Exactly the opposite of decimation.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

DeeAgeaux

Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:12 pm

GerryAZ wrote:I am interested if it is AWD, has good ergonomics, has readable instrumentation, and is available WITHOUT automatic emergency braking (AEB).

All automakers that sell vehicles in the USA have agreed to make AEB standard on all USA cars by 2022.

Any new $35k vehicle hitting the market in 2019 or later will have AEB.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:44 am

DeeAgeaux wrote:All automakers that sell vehicles in the USA have agreed to make AEB standard on all USA cars by 2022.
Any new $35k vehicle hitting the market in 2019 or later will have AEB.

Then I will not be buying new cars--too bad another possibly dangerous "safety feature" is becoming mandatory. I might decide it is safer to hit something in the road such as a box rather than slam on the brakes and hope a large vehicle behind me can stop before hitting me. AEB takes this decision process away from me. This reminds me of mandatory first-generation air bags killing small drivers in minor crashes. I had to replace a perfectly good SUV in the late 1990s because it was not safe for short drivers and the manufacturer's local dealers were unwilling to install a disabling kit. The extent of the hazard was kept under wraps for a while, but it eventually became public. Then it became mandatory for manufacturers to offer disabling kits to short drivers. Unfortunately, the local dealers were afraid of liability and would not install the kits or sell the parts.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:41 am

As I understand it, AEB works at lower speeds only - 20MPH or less, IIRC.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:38 am

LeftieBiker wrote:As I understand it, AEB works at lower speeds only - 20MPH or less, IIRC.

Now if you look at AEB as preventing a crash, then yes it is generally most effective for that when speeds are low,

Depending on the sophistication of the system, AEB can lessen crash severity at any reasonable (for the US) speed, but at freeway speeds may not fully stop the car. Still better to hit an object at 40 MPH (which is what the IIHS does frontal crash tests at) than 70 MPH, if the car is so capable.

According to https://www.carprousa.com/how-well-do-a ... stems-work AAA tested AEB systems at least to 45 MPH, with impact speeds reduced to between 9 and 74 percent at that speed, depending on system.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”