Re: Installing diesel parking heater in Leaf's trunk

Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:17 am

Snug and hot. No range loss

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:04 pm

Very nice, and do you exhaust it outside? If not I'd really be worried about moisture or exhaust fumes in the vehicle. Also I noticed your fuel supply is basically parallel with the heater if not a bit lower, does the heater have the ability to suck the fuel uphill?
I'm impressed with how small everything is, how many Kw is the heater? I remember reading about 5kw models.....and will it get the car as toasty as say the vehicle's heater set to a moderate setting? Would it be relatively easy and quick to remove in the summer? Something like this could be a real game-changer for people on the bubble of the Leafs range in moderate temps but too short when temps drop to the single digits or below(eg me with my 8 bar '12 which is currently parked for the winter due to reduced range in the cold :( )
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

Goran
Delivery Date: 21 Aug 2018

Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:15 pm

I'll chime in again as well. The exhaust pipe can be routed outside through a convenient hole nissan left in the trunk. I attached it to a tow hook in the passenger rear side.

(Paul, would you mind posting my photos if you still have them, the ones I emailed you of my install) thanks.

I tried to make mine removable which it is. I took it all out last week in a manner of 5 minutes, it is that easy. I wanted to check all the connections after a month of use. I didn't not seal the hole shut, there is a bit of space where the exhaust pipe leaves the car. But I have sat in the car for 6 hours while running the heater and my carbon monoxide detector did not pick up any gases, fumes or whatever. It tested at 0 every time.

The heater has a small pulse pump which allows for dfferent ways of installing the whole setup. As creative as you can get. I have a 5kw and on 40° F days, the heater can be a bt too much. But I just crac dwn a window a bit and it's all good. Below freezing, it fits my needs fine.

Next year I may look into installing it under a hood possibly. Goal will be to tap into the heater's ducts ,alowing the air to come out of the car's vents, and be able to manipulate air flow to different settings such as, floor, windshield panels etc. Any thoughts from those familiar with the leafs ductwork routing?

Yes, this was a game changer for me in allowing me to use my leaf even during winter months and not have to rely on my ICE honda. My trips are 40 plus miles, roundtrip. In the summer, I can easy make that trip even when running the ac. But in cold weather, I can barely make it, without any heat. My leaf currently hs 45,000 miles and I lost my 3 bar about a year ago. So probably due to lose one here shortly.

I also started using kerosine for fuel, so it burns very clean. No issues with the heater so far at all.

PaulSp
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2018

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:14 am

PaulSp

Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:19 am

jjeff wrote:Very nice, and do you exhaust it outside? If not I'd really be worried about moisture or exhaust fumes in the vehicle. Also I noticed your fuel supply is basically parallel with the heater if not a bit lower, does the heater have the ability to suck the fuel uphill?
I'm impressed with how small everything is, how many Kw is the heater? I remember reading about 5kw models.....and will it get the car as toasty as say the vehicle's heater set to a moderate setting? Would it be relatively easy and quick to remove in the summer? Something like this could be a real game-changer for people on the bubble of the Leafs range in moderate temps but too short when temps drop to the single digits or below(eg me with my 8 bar '12 which is currently parked for the winter due to reduced range in the cold :( )

I routed everything outside.

No fumes going in

Removing it would take me about 1hr as i have to get below the car. But the space taken isnt that big so ill see if i need the space. It is about 32cmx12x12cm.

I have a CO detector in the car so an alarm will sound if it picks up anything.

Today my first road test and it was warm and toasty. No smells and i have the heater modded so i can recirculate the car to distribute the heat better.

It gets hotter than regular but i got it set to 14 celcius (quite cold) but i always wear a jacket in the car. But i can pump the heat up to 31. And i figure i can sit in my t shirt without any problems.

Any questions feel free to ask

Dooglas
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 314779

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:51 am

PaulSp wrote:Any questions feel free to ask

Nice clean installation. Where, under what conditions, is that vehicle used? (always helpful to indicate your location in the information which appears to the left of your posts)
2013 Leaf SV - lease ended, 2016 Leaf S30 - purchased

BrockWI
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 423875

Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:20 pm

FYI they also make the heater and fuel tank in one case then you would only need to vent exhaust outside (and intake if you prefer) and vent the warm air forward some how.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorgebuy-Car-Fue ... all+in+one
3 kw solar pv - XW6048 - eight L16's
4 ton GSHP - 1 ton ASHP
2003 VW TDI 200k miles - 52 mpg lifetime
EVSE level 2 - Clipper Creek HSC-40
2013 S model with QC package Mar of 2013
lost first bar @ 72k
@82k miles - 58.98Ahr - 90SOH - 87.70Hx - 256GID

PaulSp

Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:48 pm

Dooglas wrote:
PaulSp wrote:Any questions feel free to ask

Nice clean installation. Where, under what conditions, is that vehicle used? (always helpful to indicate your location in the information which appears to the left of your posts)

Im in the netherlands. Used for home to work. 80km trip with only a 10 bar gen1. Get 16.7 kwh on 100%. Usually make it home in the summer with 3kw left. In winter i use 10min dcqc

BrockWI wrote:FYI they also make the heater and fuel tank in one case then you would only need to vent exhaust outside (and intake if you prefer) and vent the warm air forward some how.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorgebuy-Car-Fue ... all+in+one

Recommended is to always use outside air for combustion inlet. Due to the fact of a misfire CO buildup can be spat uit of the intake! If you dont make sure you have a CO detector. (I have one)

Oilpan4
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:39 am

Nissan should make this the cold weather package.
Or the optional winter apocalypse package.
2011 white SL leaf with 2014 batt.
Chargers: Panasonic brick moded for 240v, duosida 16a 240v and a 10kw setec portable CHAdeMO

Goran
Delivery Date: 21 Aug 2018

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:06 am

Properly installed and integrated into the vehicle s Climate system, it could be an option and perhaps they could still consider the leaf 100 percent electric vehicle of you don't have one. It ll never happen though, they need it to remain 100 percent electric, and not be associated with "dirty" diesel and it's emissions
Last edited by Goran on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”