evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Leaf Audio/Music Features

Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:24 pm

Taking over the thread to keep the first post updated.

What we know so far
- USB stick works for music
- CD player works for audio cds and compressed music (mp3 etc)
- Audio CD-RW: Works as regular audio CD. If it has CD-text, it will be displayed.
- MP3s on CD-RW: Works. Each folder of MP3s is an album. No cover art.
- MP3s on DVD+RW: Not recognized. I guess the disk player only works with CDs and their variants.
- iPhone: Tested Bluetooth A2DP and it works but its functionality seems limited to pause/play of whatever is currently playing.
- Radio text is displayed-for example, KOST FM will show name of current song.

What we guess
- Leaf has BlueTooth AVRCP Level 1 which will allow devices with bluetooth (mostly smartphones) to play/skip/pause music. metadata etc will not be shown
- The SD card reader may or may not play music. "I couldn't get it to recognize this card in Slot A. It is possible that you would have to navigate the menus and maybe "mount" it. Slot B was already occupied by an SD card for the NAV system."

Check the chapter 4 of Maxima 2011 manual. The features are likely to be same.

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/refgh0v/ ... Maxima.pdf
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to ?

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Re: I get to Drive the Leaf Monday 8_9_10

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:24 pm

Does a plain USB Flash Drive with music files on it
work when plugged into the LEAF's USB port?
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

LEAFguy
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:49 pm

Frank and Gary:

Based on current Nissan technology the audio system fully controls the iPod/iPhone (including display on dash) and will also charge it. Apple has changed many things over the years, so not all units will charge, and most will be controlled via audio. Only way to know is to plug it in. It may be able to stream bluetooth audio (some Nissans do already), but don't know for sure.

A flash drive will display folders and have control over song selection. It's been verified usable with up to an 8GB flash drive. You really want to manage the flash drive when you set up your recordings as the audio system pretty much just plays what it sees.

USB will also control any other USB enabled device - doesn't need to be an i...

Frank

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:31 am

LEAFguy wrote:Frank and Gary:

Based on current Nissan technology the audio system fully controls the iPod/iPhone (including display on dash) and will also charge it. Apple has changed many things over the years, so not all units will charge, and most will be controlled via audio. Only way to know is to plug it in. It may be able to stream bluetooth audio (some Nissans do already), but don't know for sure.

A flash drive will display folders and have control over song selection. It's been verified usable with up to an 8GB flash drive. You really want to manage the flash drive when you set up your recordings as the audio system pretty much just plays what it sees.

USB will also control any other USB enabled device - doesn't need to be an i...

If it can stream Bluetooth music (A2DP) that would be very nice but Nissan so far has only stated that Bluetooth will be used for phone calls. One of the head units in the 2010 Altima can stream A2DP Bluetooth music so if you consider a 2011 Leaf to be a higher tier Nissan model than the Altima it should also have the A2DP feature.

The reason I asked about which iPods work is that I would like to purchase an iPod and would use it primarily in the Leaf if all of the tracks, playlists, and albums are shown on the Leaf's screen (the album art would be nice too :) ). I like the Nano but am not sure if I like the 5th generation or the new smaller 6th generation better. I would only want to get it if the Leaf would charge it through the USB port in the Leaf. Why hasn't Nissan released more specific info on the audio system when the vehicle is supposed to begin production this month?
* Zapino 60 volt Electric Scooter
* 7.622 kW (AC) PV System, 44 Sharp 208-Watt Solar Modules

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Re: Leaf Audio/Music Features

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:38 am

Splitting into a new thread.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to ?

defiancecp
Delivery Date: 25 Aug 2011

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:17 am

Rooting for bluetooth A2DP as well - pandora over droid = :D :D :D :D :D

TimeHorse
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 02 Nov 2011

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:14 am

And again, since it's related to this thread:

Tap 2 Go Back, please!!

Can't I just hit a well-placed button to go back 7 seconds? Just tap it? Not hold it down between 3-5 seconds to avoid it sending me to the beginning of a chapter if too short or back to far if too long. The seconds shall be 3 to 5 and 3 to 5 shall those seconds be. 2 is right out! I mean, why does this have to be so complicated. Just tap to go back, like the skip-back button on the TiVo or many DVRs. >sigh<
RIP CO2 Fre, 27 months, 42,282 mi & 11 bars.
unAmerican Job & Nissan's Rapid Depreciation cost $20,000!
5 hours on the road daily w/o Charge at Work on 100%.

Long Live CO2 Fre, Maxed 2013 SL, 20,000 mi/yr lease.
http://aecn.timehorse.com/

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:34 am

Many simple, well accepted Audio, Video, Phone, USB, and Nav features are VERY helpful, and not difficult to implement.

However, many of these are way beyond the normal "car-design" thinking.

Multi-point Nav routing can bu used to force a route to go where you want to go, maybe avoiding a big hill, or actually visiting several e-stations.

But, concentrating on the basic car functions, stopping, braking, skidding, handling, charging, and regen, etc. is usually a MUCH bigger concern for Generation-1 vehicles.

However, to help make the high cost of the EV seem more tolerable, Nissan could put in most of the useful, high-end, "nice" functions already found in their higher-end vehicles.

For example, will the voice "training" for the voice-input of 3 people (in the Altima?) be included the LEAF?
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:18 pm

As I posted on the Street Smart thread, I auditioned the Leaf audio system today...

Here is the Photobucket link for my album:
http://s811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40 ... pt%202010/

Here is a photo showing the audio system running with a USB stick installed:
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40 ... 010/01.jpg

Before leaving the house today, I threw some mp3 files onto a USB stick. I got there early. Tom from Nissan was great (thanks Tom) and powered up the Leaf and let me do my audio thing! I'm giving what I saw 2 thumbs up, as it was better than I expected. I plugged in the stick and within a couple of seconds the USB screen popped up (I think; we were messing with the radio at the time). The screen you'll see is what I took a photo of, and it showed all 6 folders, and had titles for all of them. My mp3 files had the "Tags" populated, and all the information showed up correctly.

The car seems to have 6 speakers, 2 in the rear doors, 2 in the front doors and 2 tweeters up above the driver and passenger (L and R, respectively). We couldn't turn it up too loud, but it sounded better than I was expecting it to.

Check out the photos...It was great to see the car and meet the Nissan guys.

Frank

Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:30 pm

Randy wrote:As I posted on the Street Smart thread, I auditioned the Leaf audio system today...

Here is the Photobucket link for my album:
http://s811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40 ... pt%202010/

Here is a photo showing the audio system running with a USB stick installed:
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40 ... 010/01.jpg

Before leaving the house today, I threw some mp3 files onto a USB stick. I got there early. Tom from Nissan was great (thanks Tom) and powered up the Leaf and let me do my audio thing! I'm giving what I saw 2 thumbs up, as it was better than I expected. I plugged in the stick and within a couple of seconds the USB screen popped up (I think; we were messing with the radio at the time). The screen you'll see is what I took a photo of, and it showed all 6 folders, and had titles for all of them. My mp3 files had the "Tags" populated, and all the information showed up correctly.

The car seems to have 6 speakers, 2 in the rear doors, 2 in the front doors and 2 tweeters up above the driver and passenger (L and R, respectively). We couldn't turn it up too loud, but it sounded better than I was expecting it to.

Check out the photos...It was great to see the car and meet the Nissan guys.

Randy - Thanks for conducting the audio experiment. I tried the links you posted but couldn't get to the photos you took.

When the audio head unit recognized your USB flash drive what happens when you select a song to play? Does the album name and track name show up on the screen? What about the album art, does that display? What happens when the song selected is over, does it play the next song in the folder?

Edit: The links on this post work: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1229
Last edited by Frank on Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
* Zapino 60 volt Electric Scooter
* 7.622 kW (AC) PV System, 44 Sharp 208-Watt Solar Modules

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”