Dept. of Energy - Agreement to produce Leaf battery in N.A.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricMan

Department of Energy Announces Closing of Loan Agreement to Bring Production of Nissan LEAF, Battery to North America

Today, Secretary of Energy Steven Chu announced that the Department of Energy has closed a $1.4 billion loan agreement with Nissan North America, Inc. The loan will support the modification of Nissan's Smyrna, Tenn., manufacturing plant to produce the Nissan LEAF, a zero-emission, all-electric vehicle, and the lithium-ion battery packs to power them.

Nissan, along with its Alliance partner, Renault, is the only automaker committed to mass marketing all-electric vehicles on a global scale. Nissan LEAF, a five-passenger sedan, will be available for private and fleet customers. It is being launched in the U.S., Japan and Europe in December 2010. Nissan has spearheaded a holistic approach to zero-emission mobility by working with states, municipalities, utility companies and other partners, to prepare markets and infrastructure. Nissan has formed more than a dozen partnerships in the United States, in markets including State of Tennessee, the State of Oregon, Sonoma County and San Diego in California, Phoenix and Tucson, Ariz., Washington D.C., Seattle, Raleigh, N.C., and with Houston-based Reliant Energy.

Full Article on http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/#/news

Very interesting...

I wonder what Nissan is stopping production of at the plant? It says they're modifying the Tennessee plant to produce the Nissan Leaf batteries? Oh, the article also states they are manufacturing the Leaf there too, not just the batteries.

On another note, why is the department of energy loaning $1.4 billion? Are they thinking the Nissan Leaf will create that much more business for them?

Back