Update on Battery Warranty Enhancement for 2011 & 2012 LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBrockman

Hi everyone:

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Brian Brockman, and I am a senior manager in corporate communications at Nissan, based at our Americas HQ in Franklin, Tenn. While LEAF is fairly new to my list of official job responsibilities, I've been engaged in the program for some time, serving as our Midwest communications manager based in Michigan since 2007.

So I don't stretch this post too long, I'll get to the business of the day. Back in December, Jeff posted a message from Andy Palmer (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=253595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) outlining the expanded warranty protection against capacity loss in the LEAF's lithium-ion battery. In that message, they said that the warranty would go into effect this Spring for 2011 and 2012 LEAF owners. Today, I want to give you an update on that roll-out.

If you're a 2011 or 2012 LEAF owner, you'll receive a letter in the mail in the coming week or so confirming the expanded warranty coverage for your LEAF, as well as details on a software update available through your Nissan LEAF dealer for your battery capacity meter and on-board charger. I've pasted the text of that letter below for you to check out. As you are some of our most engaged owners, we wanted to give you a heads-up on this development.

(Note: For 2013 LEAF owners, this coverage was part of your battery warranty at purchase, and is outlined in your warranty information booklet.)

Thank you for your time, and for your continued feedback. It's exciting to see so many enthusiastic and engaged LEAF owners. I look forward to more conversations with you in the future.

Brian

--

Dear Nissan LEAF Owner:

Nissan values the feedback that we receive from our owners, and we try to use your comments to improve our products. With the goal to provide the highest level of customer satisfaction, Nissan is now offering two ongoing improvements for your Nissan LEAF.

First, Nissan is providing a new software enhancement for model year 2011-2012 LEAF vehicles, updating them with the software currently used in production for 2013 model year LEAF vehicles. The software enhancement is aimed at improving the accuracy of the battery capacity level gauge and providing greater compatibility with an expanded range of EV charging equipment.

Second, Nissan is now implementing expanded coverage under its New Electric Vehicle Limited Warranty, to protect against capacity loss in your LEAF’s lithium-ion battery, as previously announced by Nissan in December 2012.

SOFTWARE ENHANCEMENT

The 2013 LEAF features many improvements, including updated software that improves the performance of the battery capacity level gauge (outlined below) to more accurately reflect actual battery capacity. This update does not change the amount of capacity represented by the each of the bars in the meter.

In addition, the vehicle’s on-board charger software has been enhanced to improve compatibility with a broader range of EV charging equipment. By updating the software for 2011 and 2012 vehicles, Nissan is providing customers with the benefits of these ongoing improvements enjoyed by owners of the 2013 LEAF.

WHAT NISSAN WILL DO

To ensure your continued satisfaction and confidence in your car, your EV Certified Nissan dealer will update the software as described above at no cost to you for parts and labor.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

Contact your EV Certified Nissan dealer at your earliest convenience in order to arrange your appointment. This service is free of charge and the work should take less than 2 hours to complete. To ensure the greatest convenience to you, it is important that you have an appointment before bringing your vehicle to the dealer for this service. Please bring this notice with you to your service appointment. Detailed instructions have been sent to your EV Certified Nissan dealer.

EXPANDED WARRANTY COVERAGE

In addition to the existing lithium-ion battery coverage provided under the Nissan Electric Vehicle Limited Warranty for defects in materials or workmanship, the lithium-ion battery for your 2011 or 2012 Nissan LEAF is now also warranted against capacity loss below nine (9) bars (or approximately below 70 percent) as shown on the vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge for a period of 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.

This warranty covers any repairs needed to return battery capacity to a level of nine remaining bars on the vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge. If possible, the lithium-ion battery components will be repaired or replaced, and the original battery pack will be returned to the vehicle. If necessary, the lithium-ion battery will be replaced with either a new or remanufactured battery. Any repair or replacement made under this Lithium-Ion Battery Capacity Coverage may not return the battery to an “as new” condition with all 12 battery capacity bars, but it will provide the vehicle with a capacity level of nine bars or more on the battery capacity level gauge.

Please apply the label at the bottom of this letter to your Warranty Information Booklet. If your vehicle’s battery capacity level is currently at or above nine (9) bars, no further action is required.

If your vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge is already displaying eight (8) or fewer bars of capacity prior to the above referenced software update (and within the first 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first), your Nissan dealer will verify this condition and arrange for the repair or replacement of the lithium-ion battery in accordance with the terms of the warranty.

Please note that replacement lithium-ion batteries may require special ordering which may delay the actual repair by several weeks. Your patience in these circumstances is appreciated.

If you have any questions about this announcement, you may contact the Nissan LEAF Call Center at 877-N0-GAS-EV (877-664-2738), or by writing us at Nissan North America, Inc., P.O. Box 685003, Franklin, TN 37068-5003.

Thank you for providing us an opportunity to ensure your satisfaction. We hope you continue to enjoy smooth, zero emissions driving in your Nissan LEAF!

Fantastic news! :D I have been eagerly waiting for the software update that more accurately reflects remaining battery capacity. Thanks for letting us know.

Do you have info on the exact date the software update will be available at the local dealer? The main reason I ask is that I need to take my Leaf in for the my second annual battery check in 1-2 weeks and hope to get the software update done at the same time. If it will be a bit longer, not a problem, would just be a lot more convenient for me.

BBrockman said:
First, Nissan is providing a new software enhancement for model year 2011-2012 LEAF vehicles, updating them with the software currently used in production for 2013 model year LEAF
Does this include the charge percentage in the center screen, like what is selectable in the '13s?

Thank you,

Jeremy

The text about the software update says that there are improvements to the gauge "outlined below", but I don't see anything outlined below on the text you included. Could you elaborate on this?

Since it was explicitly stated, this means we get to see the SoC now on the display like the 2013 models?

BBrockman said:
Hi everyone:

...updated software that improves the performance of the battery capacity level gauge (outlined below) to more accurately reflect actual battery capacity. This update does not change the amount of capacity represented by the each of the bars in the meter...

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the news.

Sorry, but I don't entirely understand.

If the update does not change the amount of capacity represented by the each of the bars in the meter, how will the bars now display capacity more accurately?

Do you mean each bar will (post-update) more accurately display the present percentages of capacity?

Could you please tell us what those percentages are?

Ed

sirfergy said:
Since it was explicitly stated, this means we get to see the SoC now on the display like the 2013 models?
I am pretty sure this was discussed earlier and there was supposedly a technical reason that the SOC couldn't be added to the 2011-2012 models. Perhaps someone else knows the link.

Brian; thank you for the announcement. can you elaborate on what condition would drive repair of existing verses a putting in a replacement pack? I am guessing if the issue is due to bad modules, repair is in order but degradation most likely would require pack replacement since it would not be good to have modules with varying levels of degradation together?

Thanks Brian.

Is the accuracy of the distance-to-empty meter improved with this update?

Also, it would be great to have more technical details about what was leading to inaccuracy in the capacity display, and what was done to correct it. This may help alleviate some fear for people who have lost bars, and help with their trust if the car comes back with more bars after the update (i.e., "is it real?"). Hopefully some level of tech talk can be given without diving into sensitive or proprietary info.

Regards

TonyWilliams said:
Can we expect a new or remanufactured battery price with this announcement?

Tony
what Tony said.
when do we get the "spring" announcement about replacement price for the battery, and will it include a value for old battery and a system that does NOT leave us at the mercy of dealership pricing?

some dealers have charged more than 3k to pull and store a battery during repair painting.

BUT MOSTLY WHEN????

sirfergy said:

- Jeremy and Sirfergy: Sorry, no. The update is for the capacity gauge, which is the small bars to the right of the range meter ("GOM"). The update doesn't add % state of charge to the center readout.

Computerizer said:
The text about the software update says that there are improvements to the gauge "outlined below", but I don't see anything outlined below on the text you included. Could you elaborate on this?

Sorry. I pasted in the letter, but the embedded graphic didn't translate to the forum. Newbie mistake. It just shows the health bars next to the range readout (GOM).

TonyWilliams said:
BBrockman said:
Thanks for the quick and warm welcome!

Brian, a hearty welcome from San Diego. Thanks for the update.

Can we expect a new or remanufactured battery price with this announcement?

Tony

Tony: I don't have that update for you today. More to come on that topic.

BBrockman said:
sirfergy said:

- Jeremy and Sirfergy: Sorry, no. The update is for the capacity gauge, which is the small bars to the right of the range meter ("GOM"). The update doesn't add % state of charge to the center readout.

It would be interesting if those of us, who recently lost a capacity bar, would get one back (at least for a little while).

Weatherman said:
It would be interesting if those of us, who recently lost a capacity bar, would get one back (at least for a little while).
It would be more interesting if we actually knew how much capacity each bar represented, and could trust them to be accurate.

Back