Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Re: Cross Country EV caravan - Ride the Future Tour

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:40 pm

gasmiser1 wrote:Any word on a meeting/showing public appearance in San Luis Obispo tomorrow?

No, but if you "Like" the group on Facebook, they send out updates about a day ahead of each stop.

Here is a link to their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/RideTheFutureTour

By the way, I'm sure that you're aware that charging opportunities along the Big Sur coast are have to come by. If you can be of any help with ideas or strategy for them, I encourage you to comment on Facebook.
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gasmiser1

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:47 am

Yes, I have been following them on Facebook. Recently, team member Duane contacted me to charge up at my Cambria home while they stay in San Simeon near Hearst Castle. The LEAF and at least one motorcycle will charge here.

Additionally, I told them about Ragged Point Hotel and restaurant , plus a couple of other stops along the way to Big Sur.(all L1 outlets)

Once they leave my home in Cambria, there aren't any more L2 charging opportunities until the Big Sur campground.
2nd leased 2014 Nissan LEAF, 2500 miles, leased 5/4/14
(1st Leaf, 3/29/11, leased until 5/4/14, 45,000 miles)
2014 Chevy Volt, 11,200 miles, leased 11/2013
Future Tesla Model S owner :-)
Central Coast EV Member
SF BayLEAF Member
Model S Member

Boomer23

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:19 am

Duane mentioned to me that he had found a charging benefactor in Cambria and I was wondering whether that was you, after I noticed your location. Very nice of you to help out.

I was following Tony Williams' progress when he did the trip north in his LEAF last year, and one thing I recall is that many of the businesses along Rt 1 are powered by generator and they were not willing to allow any kind of charging. Duane was wondering what other EV drivers had done to get through that stretch. I told him that Tony drove part of the route at 10 mph in the wee dark hours of the morning. Sounds like you might have found some good alternatives. Even L1 is better than nothing and much appreciated in a pinch. In fact, the scooters and the A2B bicycles are using 110 V outlets and lots of battery swapping for all of their charging.

If you feel like it, please post here about your experience with the crew visiting you place.

Cheers.
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gasmiser1

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:28 am

Glad to help. It's so frustrating trying to convince local businesses here on the Central Coast to install an EVSE charging dock. Businesses can't relate without EV ownership, per my experience.

As one heads North from San Luis Obispo, public charging opportunities fall off a cliff to be non existent.

I'll post an update after the group comes by this Tuesday for charging up at my home :D
Central Coast EV Member
SF BayLEAF Member
Model S Member

Boomer23

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:31 pm

A few comments about our meetup with the RTFT group in Laguna Hills and Newport Beach last Friday night.

The RTFT was the brain child of Susan Arciero of Xenon Motors, which markets electric scooters. She dreamed up a cross country tour from Charleston SC to Google in Mountain View. Nissan was the only EV maker who wanted to participate and they provided a 2013 LEAF SL and a driver, Duane, who retired from Nissan's Infiniti division recently. In addition to Susan and her daughter with two of the Xenon scooters, they have two riders on A2B electric bicycles, with support from an A2B company staffer, and Ben, who is riding a Zero electric motorcycle. Just recently, Terry, who placed 2nd on his heavily modified Zero motorcycle in Tony Williams' recent BC to BC Rally, has joined the Tour group for the rest of the way to Mountain View. A three-man film crew headed by Jonathan Becker is making a documentary about the Tour, called "We're Getting There".

On Friday, Forum members Garygid, LeafyD, JeremyW and I met with the group at their hotel in Laguna Hills for a lively talk about the electric transportation and the progress and challenges we've seen. We had a free wheeling discussion, some of which was filmed by Jonathan and the crew. Later on, Jeremy and I met the group at Balboa Pier, where they got to dip their feet in the Pacific for the first time since leaving the east coast.

We were very interested in the methods that the group used to charge in their cross-country adventure. Duean, the LEAF driver mostly charged at campsites using the 50 Amp RV connections that are so familiar to long distance EV drivers. He also was able to use the receptacles for the wall AC units in motel rooms. He is carrying three EVSEs, including a standard portable AV unit, as well as what appeared to be a small prototype AV unit and a standard Nissan Level 1 unit. He said that the only DC QC that he had used was at Nissan HQ in Nashville although he was thinking of getting a quick charge on Saturday at either Tustin Nissan or Connell in Costa Mesa before heading for LA.

The Zero motorcycles can use L2 J1772 connectors, and I know that Terry's modified Zero cycle can use multiple J1772 connectors to charge at something like 12 kW.

The Xenon scooters and the A2B bicycles are using 110 V household current wherever they find it, and they use extensive battery swapping. The scooters have a range of about 120 miles, and the bicycles can go about 25 miles on a charge.

Here are a few pictures:

IMG_1602s.jpg

The 2013 LEAF SL piloted by Duane, with Susan's Xenon electric scooter.

IMG_1636s.jpg

JeremyW, Garygid, LeafyD and Terry with Terry's awesome modified Zero bike

IMG_1628s.jpg

Ben tries out my Stromer electric bike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Boomer23

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:35 pm

More pictures from Friday night in Newport

IMG_1648s.jpg

Jeremy on the Balboa Ferry

IMG_1669s.jpg

The group poses in front of the Balboa Inn

IMG_1741s.jpg

First touch of the Pacific
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JeremyW
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 19136

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:34 pm

Thanks for the great writeup Phil, I should have some pictures tomorrow afternoon, with more next week. Sent off the film this afternoon. 8-)

And yikes I need to keep going to the gym. :?
Former 2012 SL leasee 6/23/12 - 9/23/15
Now driving Honda Fit EV, License plate: CHADEMO
2000 Honda Insight for long trips

gasmiser1

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:14 pm

The group came by my house in Cambria today to charge up the 2013 LEAF and the 2 Zero motorcycles. Terry's Zero was highly modified with multiple on board chargers to juice up super fast. Really neat to meet and help out with the group's charging needs. Next stop will be Big Sur campground for the night. Cambria to Big Sur will be approx. a 74 mile ride without any public charging. I mentioned to them that Ragged Point Hotel and Lucia, CA might be the only 120 vt outlets along Highway 1.
Central Coast EV Member
SF BayLEAF Member
Model S Member

Boomer23

Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Ride The Future Tour is asking for a big turnout at Google HQ tomorrow, Friday, Aug 16, 5pm, for the end of their cross country 44 city EV tour.

If you are in the area, please consider turning out to meet and support this amazing team.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Boomer23

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:35 pm

The trailer for the film about the Ride the Future Tour is ready! The film will be called "Kick Gas".

The producers are looking for sponsors and an Executive Producer to help with finish funding. If you know someone who is connected and would like to participate, please share the trailer with them.

Please watch the trailer linked below. Early in the trailer you might glimpse me in the black shirt smiling next to Terry Hershner as he talks about the batteries in his e-bike.

(Note: I have no connection or financial interest in the film or the project, I'm just a fan and I enjoyed meeting the participants during the tour.)

Here's the link to the trailer.

https://vimeo.com/89461695

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”