Nissan NZ refusing to Service/Repair Imported Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvakauta

I'm hoping that someone here can make contact with Nissan CEO - Carlos Ghosn. I need to ask him why is Nissan New Zealand refusing to service/repair our imported Nissan Leafs from Japan. We are not asking for warranty, we're willing to pay for parts and labours. It's hard enough that our NZ govt doesn't provide EV subsidies and a new Leaf is $70K but now Nissan NZ refused to service their own vehicles? If anyone can help please reply to my post.

Thanks,

NZ EVs supporter.

Is there any difference between Japanese and NZ car? Maybe this is a reason?
In Europe we can get service in any country but cars are same.

How odd. Need more info. How were the cars imported? Through a Nissan dealer? Here, a dealer can only sell a LEAF if they are certified, buy the diagnostic equipment and have a trained LEAF tech for service. Not the same in NZ? Why wouldn't you want warranty service?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
How odd. Need more info. How were the cars imported? Through a Nissan dealer? Here, a dealer can only sell a LEAF if they are certified, buy the diagnostic equipment and have a trained LEAF tech for service. Not the same in NZ? Why wouldn't you want warranty service?

It is likely privately-imported outside of Nissan NZ official sales channels, which is why the OP is having trouble getting it serviced by his local Nissan dealer. NZ's importation laws tend to favor private imports more than our country (remember "grey market" Benzes and BMWs?) and NZ is a RHD country like Japan. You see many privately-imported JDM-spec cars over there.

Carlos suggests talking to the Nissan NZ country manager; failing that, the Nissan regional manager.

I've imported these Leafs directly from Japan privately. The different between these Leaf and the NZ Leaf is the Language, i.e Japanese and English. Both the NZ and Japanese Leafs are made in Japan. All the other Nissan models (Murano, Maxima etc) imported from Japan, can be serviced/repaired at a NZ Nissan dealership.
I've emailed the Nissan NZ cooperate office about the warranty and they told me that warranty is not transferable from Japan to NZ. I'm fine with that, all I want is the assurance from Nissan that they will service/repair these Leafs if needed at my own cost.

As I mentioned above, if our price were similar to the US, I'm happy buy one from the dealership but not at NZD$70,000 drive away price. (To give you an idea, a nz police officer makes $51K annually)

Luckily, there is almost no service required for a Leaf. I wouldn't worry about it and have your brakes, tires and fluids done at any car repair shop. Should there be a major issue, I would get parts from a junk yard.

Take it to a normal service shop. I'm not sure what it's like in NZ, but the quality of service and customer satisfaction really sucks at dealerships compared to reputable mechanic shops here. Dealerships suck. But I don't see why they would refuse to make non-warranty repairs- makes no sense to me.

reeler said:
Luckily, there is almost no service required for a Leaf. I wouldn't worry about it and have your brakes, tires and fluids done at any car repair shop. Should there be a major issue, I would get parts from a junk yard.
What junk yard in NZ is going to have Leaf parts, seeing as they have to import them and thus are incredibly rare?

If a major high voltage unit went, and no one will fix it, there might end up being one at a junk yard.

Seriously, tires, brakes and wipers any shop can do, but if the PDM goes you're going to need a LEAF tech. And the NZ dealers won't even work on it for cash? Why not? Is it the language issue? Or just out of spite?

Are you having an issue now, or just thinking ahead?

My Leafs are in excellent conditions, just assurance for the future. There are 10 imported Japanese Nissan Leafs in NZ since May 2013 that I'm aware of. I don't believe that Nissan NZ have sold that many since it was available here in NZ from 2012.
I'll see if it's possible to get the training on these Leafs in Japan so that I can offer the service myself to my fellow nz ev supporters.

There is no business opportunity-- the chances that a few dozen Leaf's will need anything is near zero. Very few Leaf owners have had issues. You get a bit of a distorted persective on the forum because people post issues far more often than "my Leaf was perfect today"-- and by the way MY Leaf WAS perfect today. In the (almost) three years I've owned the two, not one issue.

Did you have the PDM update done?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13194&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Usually most people start having issues around 3000 miles.

bvakauta said:
My Leafs are in excellent conditions,

No PDM update. Also, we don't have level 1 evse in NZ, because our electricity standard is 230vac. Our standard power point are 10/16amps, perfect for the portable evse level 2.

Lasareath said:
Did you have the PDM update done?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13194&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Usually most people start having issues around 3000 miles.
It needed the PDM update at ~2200 miles (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=329929#p329929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Back