Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBrockman

Hi all:

I’m happy to be back to provide a long-awaited update on the Nissan LEAF battery replacement plan.

Last year, I posted preliminary details of the program that we’d created based on early survey data, and it led to spirited discussion (and very vocal criticism). So we went back to the drawing board with your comments and the ongoing guidance of the LEAF Advisory Board. Over the past year, we’ve used owner feedback to create a program we believe will better serve you and our other current drivers. Sorry we’ve been quiet on this topic. I hope you agree that it was worth the wait.

Battery replacements are now available for purchase at your certified Nissan LEAF dealers in the United States. The suggested retail price of the Nissan LEAF battery pack is $5,499. This price includes and requires a return of your original battery pack (valued at $1,000) to the dealer in exchange for the new battery. This price does not include tax, installation fees or an installation kit required for 2011 and 2012 vehicles. The MSRP for the installation kit (which includes brackets and other minor parts required to retrofit the newer pack to original vehicles) is approximately $225. Nissan expects the installation to take about three hours. However, dealers set the final pricing, so we recommend confirming with your local retailer.

We are also continuing to finalize details for a Nissan financing program for those who prefer an affordable monthly payment option, and we expect to keep that monthly payment in the $100 per month range. But to be clear, at the end of the finance terms, you own the battery. It is not a lease or rental. I will post more details here later this year when they are finalized, but we didn’t want to delay announcing the battery price itself any longer.

These replacement batteries are the same battery found in 2015 LEAF vehicles, which are also on sale now at Nissan dealers. As a replacement, this battery is expected to provide similar range and charging characteristics as the battery offered since the launch of the LEAF in 2010. Changes in battery chemistry, however, have been made in an effort to make the battery more durable in extremely hot climates. (So, yes…this is what you’ve been calling the “lizard” battery.) We knew it was important to early buyers to purchase the latest technology. Holding the replacement program until this summer meant we would be offering just that.

Replacement packs will carry similar warranty coverage as a new LEAF: 8 years/100,000 miles against defects and 5 years/60,000 miles against capacity loss.
Below is a bit more Q&A on the topic that you may find helpful.

Thank you all for your patience on this topic. We’ve been hard at work developing a plan driven by your feedback, and we hope you’re satisfied with the results.

Brian

--

Q. Will I own this battery outright?
A. Yes, unless you choose to finance the battery, in which case the finance company will have an interest in the battery until it is paid for in full.

Q. What happens to my old battery? Can I keep it?
A. No. The old battery must be exchanged for the new battery as a condition of the sale of the replacement battery, and Nissan’s suggested retail battery pricing reflects a $1,000 core value assigned to the battery. Nissan will ensure that the old battery is recycled and disposed of properly or possibly reused as part of our 4R Energy business.

Q. For resale, how can I prove that my car has a new battery?
A: Your certified Nissan LEAF dealer will provide you with a copy of the repair order showing your lithium-ion battery replacement at the time the replacement is made. If for any reason you do not receive it, ask your dealer for a copy. Additionally, any authorized Nissan dealer can confirm the battery replacement by reviewing the vehicle’s service history by authorized Nissan dealers which is maintained by VIN.

Q. Is the replacement battery compatible with all Nissan LEAF models?
A. All 2011 through 2015 LEAF models are currently compatible with the replacements being offered in this purchase program. However, a separate installation kit must be purchased at the customer's expense for all 2011 and 2012 vehicles.

Q. Who qualifies for a replacement?
A. To be eligible to purchase a replacement battery, you must be a current LEAF owner, and you must agree to exchange your existing battery pack for the replacement battery. You must also read, acknowledge and sign a customer disclosure form and trade-in agreement. In order to allow for battery trade-in, and as a further condition of sale, customer must represent by signing the disclosure form that either (1) their LEAF vehicle and old lithium-ion battery are owned by customer free and clear of any liens and encumbrances; or (2) that any lender with a lien on the vehicle and/or original battery consents to the battery exchange. Customer must agree to assist Nissan in obtaining a signed consent from the lienholder.

Q. What are the terms of Nissan's financing?
A: We plan to release the exact terms of the financing by the end of the year.

Q. Will you offer higher capacity batteries to upgrade my LEAF in the future?
A: Currently, we can only discuss the 24kWh LEAF pack. We are not making any announcements concerning larger potential battery pack sizes for future products at this time.

BBrockman said:
Hi all:

....Battery replacements are now available for purchase at your certified Nissan LEAF dealers in the United States. The suggested retail price of the Nissan LEAF battery pack is $5,499...

Now, was that so hard?

Nissan is essentially asking ~$6k full retail price with exchange.

Expect to spend ~half that much at an independent shop when I need to replace mine, in ~2020.

This is going to make a lot of people very happy! Me included.

Thank you to all who made this happen. Special kudos to evchels.

Very interesting. So no leases - that is unfortunate.

Still curious why Nissan wants the old battery back.

That price is less than what I expected.

24 kWh - $6500. That makes it less than $270/kWh. WOW !!

Not bad at all, IMNSHO. Shame this didn't get announced a few months back...I might have kept my LEAF. Please continue to maintain the program for newer models, and I just might be back in the future.

BTW, does that mean that you guys are ready to swap in the new batteries for warranty replacements? If you have a warranty replacement in a 2011/12, does that mean you already have the installation kit as well?

P.S. Well done.

WOW :shock: :shock: :shock:
Like Christmas in June :D :D :D
SELLING replacement battery with trade in core for $229 per kWh.
Build a big enough battery plant and $400 to $600 per kWh are a thing of the past :!: :!: :!: :!:

This just moved the Leaf way up on my shopping list for when my Volt lease expires early next year.

Excellent job, Nissan.

Any update on improving the heat resistance of the battery? Looks like the current ones are good for about three years here, and now we have a number... almost $2000/year for batteries. Even if electricity is free, I'll be spending more on batteries than I would on gas if that's all the longer they last.

TimLee said:
WOW :shock: :shock: :shock:
Like Christmas in June :D :D :D
SELLING replacement battery with trade in core for $229 per kWh.
Build a big enough battery pack and $400 to $600 per kWh are a thing of the past :!: :!: :!: :!:

Indeed this is good news. I especially like the bit about the replacement packs being the Lizard battery *and* you get a new warranty!! Wonder if the range will improve for 2011/12 MY LEAF's if the modules are lighter per the 2013 design changes?

I've saved over $6600 since buying my LEAF, which means I can continue to benefit from driving this car until it literally falls apart. The value of my LEAF just went up for me. I don't have to 'baby' the battery anymore.

The only point I'd like clarification on is regarding the price. Is the replacement battery price guaranteed for a fixed period of time from today or can it go up/down without notice from this point forward? Will price changes be immediate or with made after a suitable 'notice period'.

Thanks for announcing the program here Mr Brockman, I had concerns we had discouraged Nissan from communicating with us here due to the negative input from some. Thanks for having the requisite 'thick skin'.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Any update on improving the heat resistance of the battery? Looks like the current ones are good for about three years here, and now we have a number... almost $2000/year for batteries. Even if electricity is free, I'll be spending more on batteries than I would on gas if that's all the longer they last.

Of course, the first replacement (at about 40,000 miles, for us South Floridians) will be free, under warranty. The second one, assuming a more durable battery, may be at the 90,000+ mile mark. Not too bad a deal.

LTLFTcomposite said:

Mr Brockman did confirm that this is the more durable chemistry that goes in the 2015 models.

This tells me that $5000 figure they quoted to get double the range was not an error. Nissan's price/kWh for the battery is quite low (considering the retail price is < $275/kWh). If they can fit it is - we should be able to get a 150 mile Leaf for just $5k more.

JPWhite said:
Mr Brockman did confirm that this is the more durable chemistry that goes in the 2015 models.
Sorry in my excitement I read right past that.

I'm a lot more enthusiastic about staying on board the Leaf train than I was an hour ago. Now I need to figure out my strategy:

I opted out, so buying out the lease looks like a bad idea, plus it's a 2012 with the 3kw charger, so I'm thinking that one goes back to Nissan no matter what. Maybe I really do want to try to find a 2014 with the old battery? Does my opt-out only pertain to the car I have, not a future one (ie would I get the 5yr 60k warranty on a 2014?). Or do 2014s maybe have the lizard battery too?

this seems like a good deal all round. to those who say you should be able to keep your old battery consider this. As we all know HV DC current kills , it would be a bad idea for Nissan or any other mfr to have a program that doesnt encourage the return of the old battery for recycling.

Now we need some dealer service dpartments to be REASONABLE with the labor charges to install the battery.

I wont be buying a new pack as I have a 2012 with the 3.3kw obc

But I can see this being useful escpecially if NMAC loans you the dough at a resonable rate!

Wow, I gotta say I'm floored. First by the price (which is quite reasonable, I gotta say) and almost more so with the transparency. Admitting that the price includes "stealing" (haha) the old battery (which I'm 100% in favor of if it's what lets you keep the price down), telling us it's the "lizard" battery, mentioning the possibility of financing, etc.

This really changes the entire perception of the car for me. I was 100% going to give mine up after my lease, but now I'm going to seriously consider putting miles on it with reckless abandon and buying it for my residual instead. I'm not 100% sure, but I really don't think electric cars will age the same way that gassers do. My suspicion is that a brand new battery in an 8-year-old Phoenix Leaf would make that car feel very close to new.

Back