Why is the LEAF pulling away from the Volt?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegGuheert

In 2012, the Volt outsold the LEAF handily (23,461 versus 9819). In 2013, Volt held a slim lead (23,094 versus 22,610). But this year, Volt is backsliding while LEAF is still gaining: (8615 versus 12736).

Is it simply that the Volt has real competitors in its space while LEAF does not (Tesla Model S excluded)? PiP seems to be eating Volt's lunch now and the Ford Energi product sales are ramping up nicely. Is PiP winning because of the very high gas mileage and high electricity prices in CA? Prii have more utility than the Volt? No offense, but I don't quite understand the appeal of the Ford products. Default plug-ins for Ford lovers?

I do expect LEAF sales to continue to ramp up assuming 2015 battery holds up well and a refresh is coming in the next year or two.

It just seems like Volt sales are waning and I am wondering what's behind it all. And what will it take for GM to recover some momentum in the plug-in arena?

Edit: Adding a plot of LEAF sales as a percentage of Chevy Volt sales (updated through January 2018):

Nissan_LEAFSales_As_Percentage_Of_Chevy_Volt_Sales_Through1801.png

DanCar said:
Volt is:
1. more expensive to buy
2. more expensive to maintain
3. less interior space.

On the plus side, has longer range.
Agreed, but those things have always been true, yet the Volt went from outselling the LEAF by ~2.5:1 to now trailing by 2:3.

No CA green stickers for the month
GM quality is in serious doubts even if Volt is a great vehicle.

I don't see a big breakout by LEAF yet.... more that Volt is dropping.

It's not because of the recalls, if the recalls were a factor June sales would not have been a seven year high for GM. Ultimately it is price, everything sells (even the Yugo) for the right price. If the Volt was only $4,000 more than the Cruze after tax credits the demand would go way up.

SteveInSeattle said:
Ultimately it is price, everything sells (even the Yugo) for the right price. If the Volt was only $4,000 more than the Cruze after tax credits the demand would go way up.
Do you think Nissan getting the LEAF starting price below $30,000 in 2013 was a key accomplishment?

I suspect a large part of the issue is the GM dealer network.
Many dealers are indifferent to the Volt, while some are downright hostile. A few are enthusiastic, but they seem to be a small minority.

GM also spent well over a decade belittling hybrids and fuel efficiency, so they need to turn that around.

Their lack of advertising and marketing has been a contributing factor as well. I don't see much better from Nissan though.

SteveInSeattle said:
It's not because of the recalls, if the recalls were a factor June sales would not have been a seven year high for GM. Ultimately it is price, everything sells (even the Yugo) for the right price. If the Volt was only $4,000 more than the Cruze after tax credits the demand would go way up.

I was just saying what everyone sees that looks at daily news. People obviously still buy junk cars or GM wouldn't be in business.

Actually, in general, GM is building some very good cars these days...

MikeinDenver said:
I was just saying what everyone sees that looks at daily news. People obviously still buy junk cars or GM wouldn't be in business.

TomT said:
Kind of like Leaf dealers! :lol:

Zythryn said:
Many dealers are indifferent to the Volt, while some are downright hostile. A few are enthusiastic, but they seem to be a small minority.
+1!

That's what I was thinking, too! But clearly there are SOME Nissan dealers who have discovered that the LEAF is a goldmine for them and they are doing very well. If only that success would spread to other dealerships...

RegGuheert said:
TomT said:
Kind of like Leaf dealers! :lol:

Zythryn said:
+1!

That's what I was thinking, too! But clearly there are SOME Nissan dealers who have discovered that the LEAF is a goldmine for them and they are doing very well. If only that success would spread to other dealerships...

There has been a dealer "weeding out" where I live.
We have 1 Nissan dealer who really cared about the Leaf, learned what needed to be learned, and has people with the know-how to sell and support the car.
They sell Butt-loads of them
They have every color sitting on their lot, ready to go.
I have a Suburban, and last time I was in for an oil change (remember those?), I asked the GM Dealer to see a Volt.
These guys are the BIG GM dealer locally, and they don't even have one.
They don't even have a Level 2 EVSE installed.
(how can you service the Volt without a Level 2? The Ford dealer has had a Level 2 for 2 years on the Rumor of their EV)
Because of the low volume, and the Volt has had some issues, they just don't need the headaches.

(Plus, the Volt Blows. What does it get on pure battery... Like 11 Miles (With a tailwind.... Down hill :lol: )
Stick a 24Kw HV pack in there, and you would have something.
But you would also have a $50K Volt.

RegGuheert said:
In 2012, the Volt outsold the LEAF handily (23,461 versus 9819). In 2013, Volt held a slim lead (23,094 versus 22,610). But this year, Volt is backsliding while LEAF is still gaining: (8615 versus 12736).

Is it simply that the Volt has real competitors in its space while LEAF does not (Tesla Model S excluded)? PiP seems to be eating Volt's lunch now and the Ford Energi product sales are ramping up nicely. Is PiP winning because of the very high gas mileage and high electricity prices in CA? Prii have more utility than the Volt? No offense, but I don't quite understand the appeal of the Ford products. Default plug-ins for Ford lovers?

I do expect LEAF sales to continue to ramp up assuming 2015 battery holds up well and a refresh is coming in the next year or two.

It just seems like Volt sales are waning and I am wondering what's behind it all. And what will it take for GM to recover some momentum in the plug-in arena?

The Volt is treading water and will sell about 22,000-25,000 this year which is about what they have sold every year. LEAF sales went up about 10-12,000 last year and will go up about the same this year so expect about 32,000-35,000

RegGuheert said:
DanCar said:
Volt is:
1. more expensive to buy
2. more expensive to maintain
3. less interior space.

On the plus side, has longer range.
Agreed, but those things have always been true, yet the Volt went from outselling the LEAF by ~2.5:1 to now trailing by 2:3.

the only thing that has really changed is the perception that the LEAFs range is inadequate.

what we really need is statistics on how many LEAF sales are currently a direct result of prior LEAF experience. 18 months ago, I knew of a half dozen 2 LEAF households. Today? dk. lost track. Just in the past 7 days, I know 3 households who got their 3rd LEAF (maintaining 2 generally) and 2 more that got a 2nd LEAF to become a 2 LEAF household.

the really confusing stat for me is why LEAF sales were so low for June. that really took me by surprise.

KillaWhat said:
(Plus, the Volt Blows. What does it get on pure battery... Like 11 Miles (With a tailwind.... Down hill :lol: )
Stick a 24Kw HV pack in there, and you would have something.
But you would also have a $50K Volt.

Seriously? Where are you getting your facts? I drive a Volt every day. I have gotten as much as 50 miles on a charge in my 2012, and the 2013 and 2014 models actually have more range than mine. I can get 40 miles without even trying. Even in the harsh winter with the heater blowing full blast I still get 30 miles.

IMO, an all-electric car was just too radical for the majority of car buyers. Now that people are seeing them on the road and not spontaneously bursting into flame or sitting stranded by the side of the road, they are starting to get a second look and the Volt just can't compete with the convenience of the Leaf. Please don't get me wrong, the Volt is a great car and I even tried to convince my wife to get one but you do still have to buy gas unless you have very little range requirements. Never buying gas is a big selling feature once you get past the fear of the unknown.

MikeinDenver said:
TomT said:
Actually, in general, GM is building some very good cars these days...

MikeinDenver said:

I suppose that is one opinion.
Zero problems with our Volt, our LEAF has been back for a couple things.

I see Chrysler is now getting sucked into the "unintended ignition key rotation" vortex, not surprising there is probably some supplier overlap.

I knew using a bowling ball for a key fob was a bad idea.

Back