2015 battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roperld

This evening I left my 2012 LEAF at New River Nissan and borrowed a 2015 SL to keep overnight. I drove a typical daily ~15 miles for me and then charged it at home.

I used the Gidding's SOC meter (http://www.wwwsite.com/puzzles/socmeter/) and was surprised to see it read over 104% after a full charge! Does that mean that the new "Lizard" battery is about one kWh higher capacity than the original battery or that the usable battery capacity is about one kWh higher than previously? Was this the case for the 2013 & 2014 batteries?

The calculated range from the % increase when charged worked out to be about 84 miles.

I don't think you can draw any firm conclusions. New 2013/14 Leafs have been reported to have Gid counts on full charge hat varied quite a bit without any evidence this was affecting range.

It is generally believed to be instrumentation differences in the later cars, not any real capacity increase...

roperld said:
Does that mean that the new "Lizard" battery is about one kWh higher capacity than the original battery or that the usable battery capacity is about one kWh higher than previously?

No idea. I hope it's more energy. Or maybe they are using more of the "non-usable" capacity not touched in prior batteries.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
See my signature for first week numbers from LeafStat.

'15 SV w/QC, Mfd 5/14, Leased 8/14
292 GIDs (97.24% SOC) 22.63 kWh, 97.17% SOH, 102.02% HX, 64.38 Ahr
A composite of 1st week highs as BMS learns
Thanks! Very interesting!

Can you also tell us the min, max and avg voltage of the cells when your 2015 LEAF is fully charged?

LeafStat doesn't provide the same level of info that LeafSpy does, so no min max avg, sorry. Wish LeafSpy had an iPhone version, or LeafStat would offer a pro app.

No idea why 292 Gids and only 97%, but that's the highest Ive seen yet. There's some variation in the numbers, except for Amp Hrs and kWhs which seem to stay constant.

ElectricEddy said:
Does the op have leafspy? What were the kwh available?

Isn't kWh derived from GIDs? If Nissan has changed the meaning of GIDs, owners will likely only discover it slowly and empirically, as they have with previous models/changes.

http://i.imgur.com/hWtOzEd.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the LeafSpy screen on my new 2015 Leaf. First charge to 100%.

roperld said:
This evening I left my 2012 LEAF at New River Nissan and borrowed a 2015 SL to keep overnight. I drove a typical daily ~15 miles for me and then charged it at home.

I used the Gidding's SOC meter (http://www.wwwsite.com/puzzles/socmeter/) and was surprised to see it read over 104% after a full charge! Does that mean that the new "Lizard" battery is about one kWh higher capacity than the original battery or that the usable battery capacity is about one kWh higher than previously? Was this the case for the 2013 & 2014 batteries?

The calculated range from the % increase when charged worked out to be about 84 miles.

since GID is not a defined amount, I would discount that as the GIDmeter is not measuring it. if it were than your thoughts would be correct but the meter is only parroting back what it reads.

BUT, other readings like kwh available or ahr is also being read and is a defined term and both are higher in my 2013 than my 2011. Granted, I had no measuring device when my 2011 was new so can only speculate what the readings might have been, but there is an unquestioned longer range available and does anything else really matter?

Back