100k miles and 12 bars?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUXMAN

CGMA6_uUoAECRzd.jpg

CGMA7AXUgAAy7pS.jpg

You may have seen these photos on Twitter or GCR.
How is it that they claim to have over 1700 quick charges and show 12 capacity bars? :?:

LUXMAN said:
You may have seen these photos on Twitter or GCR.
How is it that they claim to have over 1700 quick charges and show 12 capacity bars? :?:

I don't think the QC would hurt it that much since they only charge to 80% at best, but the GOM suggest the battery capacity is still high enough to not drop a bar, hard to say without more technical info, perhaps a leafspy reading for example.

LUXMAN said:
...How is it that they claim to have over 1700 quick charges and show 12 capacity bars? :?:
See discussion of this LEAF on the Model year 2013-2014 battery capacity bar losers/losses thread, following the post (Fri May 22, 2015 8:31 am) below:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18269&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
I suggest, again, that anyone trying to monitor the actual battery capacity loss, of any LEAF from any MY, DO NOT rely on the LBC.

It is becoming clear that either there was a dramatic improvement in battery design ~with the 2013 MY, or (far more likely, IMO) the LBC was simply altered to report higher gids, and fewer capacity bar losses.

I wonder how long after (or before?) Andy Palmer was harangued by irate-gid-meter-wielding-LEAF-drivers in Phoenix in 2012, that the changes were made?

Given the performance noted below, You have to wonder if the Pessimistic Gauges, may now be overly optimistic...

Busy Wizzy Hits 100,000 Mile Landmark

The Nissan LEAF that sparked an electric taxi revolution in Cornwall has clocked up its 100,000th mile without losing a single bar of battery life*.

‘Wizzy' as it was named by St Austell-based operators C&C Taxis, hit the milestone in the course of more than 25,000 pure electric paying fares and having been rapid charged over 1,700 times.

The distance it's covered since entering service in July 2013 is equivalent to 100 round trips from the company's base in Cornwall to Glasgow, more than four times around the world or almost half the distance to the moon.

But, despite living the same punishing life as any modern day taxi, Wizzy retains near full battery health and, incredibly, is still on its first set of brake pads...
http://www.newsroom.nissan-europe.com/uk/en-gb/Media/Media.aspx?mediaid=132843" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just a thought. Might it help that it is a cool climate there? Hardly too cold and never too hot, less than 70 degrees most days in the summer. If it's a taxi it might be parked indoors at night too which helps with temperature differences. Or maybe it's all in town light load driving not pulling as many AMPs from the battery?

There's definitely some change.

I posted leaf spy results of a battery test I did on a 2014 Leaf at a DC charger here and after 18,000 miles still showed 67.4 Ah and 100% capacity.

544 DC and something like 600 L2.

My own 2015 prob late 2014 manufactured, varies in capacity from 65-66.5.

In the U.K another leaf owner, Nikki Gordon Bloomfield lost 20 % or so after 59K miles , I think hers was a 2011.

Her site, can't find the article but she wrote about it on leaftalk.co.uk https://transportevolved.com/nikki-gordon-bloomfield/

No doubt there is some change, it's amazing if it can reach 100,000 miles and still have 12 capacity bars though the exact loss would be nice to know.

It's down 12% or so in AHr and 10% or so in SOH.

The leafspy pic was posted on http://insideevs.com/100000-mile-nissan-leaf-taxi-shows-12-5-battery-degradation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

of course edatoakrun will complain about the leafspy pic and I'll complain that it's too early to say that 2013 leafs have any better record on degradation. Give it another year for data to trickle in.

The 2011 Leafs that started the roar were mostly made in Jan-Apr 2011 and saw all the heat of Arizona summer in 2011 and 2012 before it was clear there was a problem.

A 2013 made early in 2013 is only just this summer seeing its second summer and that isn't over. It may be a few months for more to roll in but so far we have at least 4 that have reported the first bar loss.

May 26 2015 San Dimas, CA 23,996 miles 26 months 01/13
Sep 02 2014 San Fernando, CA 20,000 miles 20 months 01/13
Mar 2014 Plano, Texas 4,000 miles 9 months 05/13
Nov 2013 Pheonix, AZ 8,000 miles 10 months 01/13

It'll take time for reports of this summers losses to roll in.

Put another way. The 2011 leafs in the wiki show the first bar lost between 3.5 months and 42 months (for one made in June 2011).

To have that much data on the 2013s we have to wait until Feb 2018.

The AH reading reported by leaf spy varies by about 2-3 ah so the ah reading on the taxi could even increase again.

One wonders if DC charged a lot less would it have lost less capacity ?

At around Christmas I will also surpass 161 Megameters (aka 100k miles) with not just 12 bars but more like 90% SOH.
Will update when milestone actually happens :D
I believe 200 000 km is possible with 12 bars. I'm actually surprised. But I will share wisdom when time comes.

A couple of the very very early 100K mile Leafs made it to 100 at the edge of 12 bars. The key was to pack the miles in fast those first few years. The 2015 battery appears to be much better. Jury is out on the 18 and 19+ battery.

Leafs in Europe have always had relatively good luck with their batteries. Also you are looking at a taxi here. Lots of miles in a short time and DCFC probably to only 80-90% most of the time. 1700 charge cycles over 100,000 miles works out to less than 60 miles per charge. That sounds about right to me. Probably didn't spend a lot of time at 100% charge or at a very low charge either. Close to Ideal conditions for the battery. Also they are in the UK where a warm day is 70 degrees and if it hits 80 everyone complains about the heat.

I did post about this 9/2013 built '13 in the mild PNW which made it to 100K miles with 12 bars: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=551301#p551301.

OK. It's 100 000 miles now.
Screenshot-20191207-181805-Leaf-Spy-Pro.jpg

Don't mind voltages, I just accelerated and BT is transferring voltages one-by-one with low framerate :D

As of right now it is 94,7 and HX 93,2 but trust me, they are not accurate. It's +5*C outside and I was
doing unreasonably heavy foot driving - just because I was bored with a friend. B mode on and lots pedal to the metal :lol:
When temps drop below room temperature both values tend to rise too much. Especially with QCs or heavy use.
When it warms up again it will come down where it should be.

Hi Guys,

I'm leasing 2017 Nissan Leaf. I have already lost 3 bars (9 left) at 65k miles. It barely gives me 35 miles per charge. My lease ends in May. I'm stuck right now as I have driven it extra miles and it's almost useless right now with low miles per charge. Also, I had an accident and at return of car I might have to pay extra for that as well. Any suggestions please?

arnis said:
Will update when milestone actually happens :D
I believe 200 000 km is possible with 12 bars. I'm actually surprised. But I will share wisdom when time comes.

Ok, time to share the wisdom

167 000 km right now. I bet 200 000 km will be reached at next Christmas :D
I have long way to go from 94% down to 85-something.

Mohsinenv said:
Hi Guys,

I'm leasing 2017 Nissan Leaf. I have already lost 3 bars (9 left) at 65k miles. It barely gives me 35 miles per charge. My lease ends in May. I'm stuck right now as I have driven it extra miles and it's almost useless right now with low miles per charge. Also, I had an accident and at return of car I might have to pay extra for that as well. Any suggestions please?

Has the car had the free Battery Management System update? If not, the update may give you more range. You will be scheduled for a pre turn in inspection. See what the result of that is before panicking over the accident damage. You do have the option of having it repaired by an independent shop; just get it in writing from them that the car will meet NMAC standards.

hey leftie,

As a moderator, how about moving your reply and his OP to a new thread and don't pollute this one?

nlspace said:
hey leftie,

As a moderator, how about moving your reply and his OP to a new thread and don't pollute this one?

My intent was to see if there was a reply where the poster could find mine, and then do that. It still is.

Back