Do you plan to buy/lease 30kWh MY16 Leaf ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you plan to buy or lease a 30 kWh 2016 Leaf

• Plan to buy

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Plan to lease

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Will wait for Gen 2 Leaf

Votes: 28 28.6%
  • Will wait for Bolt

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Will wait for Model 3

Votes: 28 28.6%
  • Not planning to get an EV in the next 5 years

Votes: 17 17.3%

• Total voters

evnow

Let us assume Nissan will sell in Sep/Oct of this year MY2016 Leaf - with 30kWh battery for the SV/SL models at the same price as the 2015 models.

Let us also assume that the 2017 model is the Gen 2 model that will come sometime between Q4 of 2016 and Q2 of 2017. That will have twice the range (say 150 EPA miles) for the same price.

Will you buy or lease a SV/SL ? What is your plan for the next 5 years ?

I'm hoping to do a 2 year lease on a '16 SL as soon as they're available. That'll take me to the Fall of '17, hopefully giving me a choice between the Gen 2 Leaf, Chevy Bolt or Tesla Model 3.

I'm going to ride it out and see if the future brings me a warranty replacement, or the option to get a higher capacity pack. Maybe, in five years, there will be an electric Pickup or SUV with decent range. I do surprisingly well with the Leaf, but it is much easier for me to get in an out of a vehicle that sits higher off the ground.

NYLEAF said:
I'm hoping to do a 2 year lease on a '16 SL as soon as they're available. That'll take me to the Fall of '17, hopefully giving me a choice between the Gen 2 Leaf, Chevy Bolt or Tesla Model 3.
Yes, same plan here.

Only issue is if the Gen 2 gets released in fall of '16 - one has to wait a whole year. For those waiting for Model 3 - this would be quite good. Hopefully they do come in before the lease extension on the '16 run out in the fall of 2018.

These surveys are always missing at least one critical option. In this case it's "Considering leasing" and "Considering buying." Who makes definite plans for a car that isn't even built yet? Well, OK, if I win the lottery I want a Tesla, but that's still pretty conditional...

The missing option for me is that I'm planning to buy a used EV in the next few years but not new and what it will be is undecided at this time.

As in I have a 2012 Leaf and a 2005 Prius. I may sell the Prius as some point and buy a 2nd EV but I don't know yet if I'll get a really cheap 2015 Leaf, a more expensive but still used 2016 Leaf, a used Kia Soul EV, or a CPO Tesla Model 3 or if the used market will make something else catch my attention.

Whatever it is I don't expect to be waiting with a 7 year gap this time even though there is nothing wrong with the Prius that would make me have to replace it. As far as gas cars go it is the best one I've ever had (I easily get 60+ MPG tanks). It's just not as nice as a pure EV (the torque for the 0-30 acceleration on the Leaf is insane in comparison). And I have every reason to believe any EV I get down the road will be better than my 2012 Leaf.

While a longer-range Leaf would be good to see to compete with the other EVs expected to be available in a couple of years, I selected that I am not planning to buy because I expect my 2015 to meet my local needs for a long time. On the other hand, I expected to keep my 2011 for at least 3 more years.

Gerry

My [now] three year lease is complete in May 2016, so I plan to lease another Leaf until early 2019 and then choose among the Model III, Leaf 2.0, Bolt (or whatever they call it), and any other entrant.

I will not return to an ICE car, even a Volt 2.0, and I hope Nissan bites the bullet and provides an active main battery temperature system.

The Leaf as it is now is perfect for me except for range issues which, while they don't adversely affect my daily commute, do affect some expected trip lengths. I'm envious of the Supercharger network and know the BEV must go at least 200 real world miles in most weather before it can supplant an ICE powered vehicle. I know it'll happen in my lifetime.

Current lease expires Aug. '17, and hoping to replace with Gen 2 version of eNV200. Should be available by then? But would also like to replace '06 Accord with Model 3, whenever the 3 is ready. Need one car that can do longer range trips with real high speed charging. No expectation of higher powered CHAdeMO.

I do not plan on buying a BEV in the next 5 years. But I do plan on buying a PHEV (for simplicity, I'm including EREVs under this term - anything that can cover my commute without gas, yet has a gas engine for long trips is under consideration).

My '12 Leaf is one of two cars for my family. It is more than sufficient for all of my local driving needs. The 30kWh battery would only just slightly improve that for me.

My focus is now to replace the hybrid ('10 Honda Insight) with a PHEV so that both cars can drive locally without gas. It bothers me that I still burn gas every day (albeit very little). Although the Leaf can handle either commute, my wife and I go in different directions. So one of us has to take the hybrid.

Financially, I am trying to stick to at most one car payment at a time. I bought out my lease with a 3-year loan in 12/14. So in 12/17, I will be in the market for a PHEV. Currently only the CMAX Energi is large enough for my family, but I'm hoping that Mitsubishi will get their act together and bring us the Outlander PHEV by 12/17. And who knows, GM could release a crossover Voltec as well. (Yes, I know the Insight is a compact car, but every other PHEV on the market has LESS trunk space than it - I consider its 16 cu. ft. trunk to be the bare minimum) Whatever it is, it still has to be able to travel 350 miles during the winter with the heat blasting. I don't mind stopping to charge, but I doubt the infrastructure will be mature enough in 2017 to rely on.

I am confident that, short of a catastrophic failure, my Leaf will serve me well until about 12/20 when the PHEV is paid off. By then, I should be able to afford a 200 mile (EPA) BEV. Also, by 2020, it will be clear which quick charging network(s) are dependable and robust.

With any luck, I will finally rid myself of gasoline in December 2023, when I replace the PHEV. It seems like a long time from now, but really it's only 8.5 years. In the grand scheme of things, that's pretty quick. In the meantime, I am burning very little gas, with very few compromises. AND I am not jeopardizing myself financially by purchasing many cars in rapid succession.

My 2012 LEAF should suffice until the Tesla Model 3 comes out. The LEAF 2 or something like the Bolt, assuming it turns out to be real, aren't enough of an improvement over my current LEAF to justify the cost, since they can't do long trips. I have no interest in PHEVs or other ICE cars like that.

The Model 3 plus Supercharger network will allow me to go to one car, a pure BEV. Looking forward to that: should be fun!

While I'm glad they are likely adding some range to the 16 Leaf, I'm queued up to wait for Gen2.

I bought used and figured I'd be looking to upgrade in 4 years. (I drive too much for a lease to make sense)
By then, there should be cars with enough range for me to make it to work and back.
The current and even the proposed 16 won't do that. So, until that happens, no reason for me to move.

I need 120, so figure 150 listed range is probably about right, but we'll see when they come out...

I'm not worried about longer trips as we have the Subaru for that. We use that for bad weather, bad roads, and longer trips.. (And most longer trips tend to involve my wife's birding, so an AWD is a huge plus. )

desiv

Whether or not I lease a new 2016 will depend entirely on the lease terms I can get. My current lease is $130/month which is a screaming deal. If the 2016 doesn't have similarly awesome lease terms, which at this point I'm fairly certain it won't, I doubt I will upgrade; instead I'll just tough it out until 2.0 The extra range of the 30kw battery is quite tempting and I would definitely make use of it, but it's probably not worth paying an extra $100/month (or more) for.

ObjetDart said:
Whether or not I lease a new 2016 will depend entirely on the lease terms I can get. My current lease is $130/month which is a screaming deal. If the 2016 doesn't have similarly awesome lease terms, which at this point I'm fairly certain it won't, I doubt I will upgrade; instead I'll just tough it out until 2.0 The extra range of the 30kw battery is quite tempting and I would definitely make use of it, but it's probably not worth paying an extra $100/month (or more) for.

I'm sure there will be good lease deals on the leftover SV and SL models with the 84 mile pack, but probably not on the interim-pack-equipped Leaf. I also have a great lease that's been extended (now $159 a month, with tax) so unless I can get a new SV for what I'm paying now, I'll just extend the full two years and see what I can afford in 2017.

ObjetDart said:
When does your current lease end ? My lease (extended) ends May '16. That is a noman's land - no gen 2 BEVs yet. Too late to lease something at that point i.e. will have to wait too long to get a Gen 2.

Nissan got their timings wrong.

Jan '11 - Leafs start getting delivered

They should have had a good replacement by Jan '14 and then again by Jan '17.

evnow said:
When does your current lease end ? My lease (extended) ends May '16. That is a noman's land - no gen 2 BEVs yet.
Recently extended to July '16. I agree, it could be a bit of a quandary, but there are still a lot of unknowns this far in advance, including when Leaf 2.0 will really be out, what lease options will be available on the 2016 at that point, and whether they will allow 2nd extensions on older leases. I could easily see leasing a 30kw 2016 leaf sometime in early or mid 2016 for 2 years, then upgrading to some yet-to-be-released longer range BEV in 2018. Or, if I can renew the lease again, I might do that and just wait for the 2.0. Or if not, I might just return it and fall back to the ICE for a few months until the 2.0 comes out.

Back