How Nissan and Renault are Dominating the Electric Car Game

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdmondLeaf

Americans are more familiar with Nissan, and its Leaf which last month quietly crested past 175,000 global sales surpassing the next-nearest competitor by a veritable order of magnitude, but Nissan is actually the U.S. face of the global corporation led by Ghosn.

While news lately has been of mass-market EV promises from GM and Tesla – these and all others represent future potential whereas Renault-Nissan has done the heavy lifting starting from nothing and selling 238,000 EVs out of 510,000 cumulative total from all automakers.
http://www.hybridcars.com/how-nissan-and-renault-are-dominating-the-electric-car-game/

TomT said:
It remains to be seen whether or not this continues in the future as many more - and often better - competitors emerge...
Yes, it would all depend on whether Nissan can keep ahead of others - and sacrifice their 5+ year lead time.

TomT said:
It remains to be seen whether or not this continues in the future as many more - and often better - competitors emerge...
There are no new competitors only compliance cars. Where I am choices are still leaf, volt, model s, i3.

No Vw, no Kia, no Mercedes.

dm33 said:
TomT said:
There are no new competitors only compliance cars. Where I am choices are still leaf, volt, model s, i3.

They aren't really new competitors but you might be able to get the SmartCar EV and/or the Ford Focus EV in Raleigh, NC. However, I think both have less range than the Leaf.

jhm614 said:
dm33 said:
TomT said:

They aren't really new competitors but you might be able to get the SmartCar EV and/or the Ford Focus EV in Raleigh, NC. However, I think both have less range than the Leaf.
Ah, you forget i-MiEV! :) But seriously, yeah, if I was Nissan, I'd not be very worried. No Kia Soul EV, no RAV4 EV, no Honda Fit EV, no Chevy Spark EV for most of the world.

The landscape is littered with companies that thought like that and then got blindsided...

ishiyakazuo said:
But seriously, yeah, if I was Nissan, I'd not be very worried. No Kia Soul EV, no RAV4 EV, no Honda Fit EV, no Chevy Spark EV for most of the world.

TomT said:
The landscape is littered with companies that thought like that and then got blindsided...

ishiyakazuo said:
But seriously, yeah, if I was Nissan, I'd not be very worried. No Kia Soul EV, no RAV4 EV, no Honda Fit EV, no Chevy Spark EV for most of the world.

Not many in the car market. You have to sleep for a decade or more there. If somebody went into a 20 year hibernation in 1995, excluding who owns the brands, he would not be surprised at the signs on auto dealer row in every city or the rough share of the brands.

The EV market is not like the traditional auto market... Look at Tesla as a case in point.

mjblazin said:
Not many in the car market. You have to sleep for a decade or more there. If somebody went into a 20 year hibernation in 1995, excluding who owns the brands, he would not be surprised at the signs on auto dealer row in every city or the rough share of the brands.

TomT said:
The EV market is not like the traditional auto market... Look at Tesla as a case in point.
Uh huh... and I hate to break it to you, but Nissan is still outselling them. I think it's still very premature to be proclaiming gloom and doom for Nissan in the EV market.
They're probably not resting on their laurels, they're just treating LEAF like any other car in their product line (6 year model life, with minor tweaks year on year), and everyone seems to be saying "OH NO! LEAF is falling behind!" Well, to be blunt, that's a "duh" in the auto industry. Near the end of a model's life, other cars have come out that beat an older model car on certain points. No one at any car company jumps off a bridge over it, I promise you.

TomT said:
Nobody knows what EV market will be like when EVs have - say 10% of the market share.

But in general I don't think mass produced EVs will be any different than mass produced ICE. The same parameters of cost, performance, quality holds true. Traditional OEMs like Toyota or Nissan will continue to thrive (yes, even Toyota). This is mainly because it takes so long to develop new cars - and build capacity in the auto world.

This is not like the smart phone or software world.

Back