2015 July Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 1174 - Total 8951

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

The news of MY16 having a bigger battery finally affected Leaf sales. It actually sold less than Volt since Oct 2013 !

It is interesting since a good portion of previous Leaf sales were the El Cheapo bottom version (S) and the mid version (SV), nether of which will get the 30 KWh battery...

Does this mean that all of these folks suddenly are now willing to buy the top-end version (SL) just to get the bigger battery?

evnow said:
The news of MY16 having a bigger battery finally affected Leaf sales. It actually sold less than Volt since Oct 2013 !

You mean 30 kWh of course. I thought the new SV and SL will have them, only the S remaining at 24 kWh.

So, how many '15s left in inventory? Some good deals ahead.

TomT said:
It is interesting since a good portion of previous Leaf sales were the El Cheapo bottom version (S) and the mid version (SV), nether of which will get the 60 KWh battery...

Does this mean that all of these folks suddenly are now willing to buy the top-end version (SL) just to get the bigger battery?

evnow said:

My understanding was that only the SL would get the 30... But I could be wrong and it still could change regardless.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
I thought the new SV and SL will have them, only the S remaining at 24 kWh.

TomT said:
Still, a large number of people bought the S which means they would have to move up to at least the SV to get the 30... It will be interesting to see what the price differential is...

evnow said:
2016 LEAF trim levels will break down as follows:
S 24kWh
SV 30kWh
SL 30kWh
I've said before that I didn't think they could raise the price for the 30kWh, only drop that for the 24kWh. I'm looking forward to seeing if I'm right or wrong.

evnow said:
If anything they'll reduce S price.

That is what I think will happen, in order to make it more competitive with less-expensive competitors like the Spark EV. Perhaps this could be the sub-$25k Leaf that TonyWilliams talked about some time back.

I mentioned a while back that I felt Nissan was going to eventually go to a two-tier battery system: a smaller one for people who care more about price than range, and a larger one for those who need it and are willing to pay extra for it.

But even if that turns out to be the case, that will still leave a larger differential that may make the SL and SV a harder sell for some...

GRA said:
I've said before that I didn't think they could raise the price for the 30kWh, only drop that for the 24kWh. I'm looking forward to seeing if I'm right or wrong.

TomT said:
But even if that turns out to be the case, that will still leave a larger differential that may make the SL and SV a harder sell for some...
True for some, and for others it will be an easier upsell, because they want the greater range.
When I was looking, I would have been happy with an S to keep price down, but I needed QC. In the used cars I was looking at, all the QCs were on the higher end models, so I got an SL. I would imagine it will be similar with the larger battery.
You'll have some people who won't "need" the extra battery and might go for the S instead of the SV or SL even tho they might like some of the other features.. (Like that sweet Solar Panel.. It's all about the panel!!!!! ;-) )
But there will be others to offset it who upgrade to get the range..

Will be interesting to see how it works out..

Actually, now that I think about it, could there be an option for the S to get the larger pack, as the earlier S models had to get the QC port?
Then the question will come down to price difference. If it's $2000 (total random number!!!!) to get the extended battery for the S, but only $3000 to go to the SV, won't a lot of people just upgrade to the SV or SL? I think that's what happened with the QC package, and why there are so few early S models with QC out there. Yeah, some people did it, but most probably not..

desiv

Once MY16 is actually on dealer lots is when you get real deals on MY15 - but the choice may be limited.

If this report is correct, it looks like Nissan has timed its production cuts to meet anticipated reduced demand for 2015's pretty well, and will not find itself with much of an inventory problem.

Here's now Nissan is quietly getting ready for Leaf 2.0 [UPDATE]

Declining Production Numbers Hint Next-Gen Nissan Leaf Might Be Here Soon
The Nissan Leaf had its best sales month of the year in May, selling 2,104 units. By July that number had come down nearly 50 percent to 1,074 units, and Hybrid Cars reports that Leaf production is on an even steeper decline as the company prepares to roll out the updated 2016 Leaf. In April, Nissan built 2,575 EVs, in May that dropped to 1,569, in June it was just 504. That has pushed the number of Leafs in dealer inventories to a 2015 low of 62 days worth of sales...
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/04/heres-now-nissan-is-quietly-getting-ready-for-leaf-2-0/

The more significant question, IMO, may be how quickly Nissan can ramp up production of 2016's so as to not have a repeat of the inventory shortages we had in early 2013, when the LEAF 1.5 was introduced.

BTW, what should we call the 2016 LEAF?

IMO, this is not the LEAF "2.0" at least if the changes are as limited as reported so far.

So, is the 2016 the LEAF 1.75?

i think there will be inventory shortages - on SV model only
24 kWh S, full supply
30kWh SL, full supply

30kWh SV, one per dealer until battery supply is ramped up.

If Nissan is getting a new battery from LG, it will probably have dimensions that are unique to Nissan.
So it will take time to ramp supply. Higher profit car get limited supply first. Perhaps CARB states may get bonus vehicles.

edatoakrun said:
BTW, what should we call the 2016 LEAF?

IMO, this is not the LEAF "2.0" at least if the changes are as limited as reported so far.

So, is the 2016 the LEAF 1.75?
1.6 - 1.8, something in that range. Or even 1.5, since I consider this the first major upgrade, even if it is coming well after the usual mid-cycle refresh period.

Let's see:

2011, 1.0
2011 with C/W package, 1.1
2013, 1.2 for S, 1.3 for SV/SL.
2014, 1.25 for S
2014-15 w/Lizard, 1.35-1.4.
2016 w/30 kWh, 1.5

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Per Insideevs, about 3700 2015s remain. That should hold them through the intro of the '16s at this rate.

One month on and insideevs reports 1393 sold in August and about 3100 2015's remaining. Must have had a few still in the pipeline?

They could delay 2016 release into October at this rate.

Back