Poll: Consumer Interest In Electric Vehicles Stagnating?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via GCR:
Poll: Consumer Interest In Electric Vehicles Stagnating?
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1099677_poll-data-interest-in-electric-vehicles-stagnating

. . . From 2013 to 2015, an identical proportion—48 percent—of Americans who own cars (or anticipate buying a car) say that they would consider a hybrid, while plug-in hybrids and pure electric vehicles were up just two percent in two years, to 29 and 21 percent, respectively. . . .

Cost remains the biggest barrier

One of the biggest barriers for electric vehicle consideration isn’t at all surprising: It’s cost. Electric vehicles, even considering tax credits and incentives, usually cost significantly more than otherwise comparable gasoline models.

• Here’s that full list of buyer concerns for EVs:
  • Price (67%)
  • Range (64%)
  • Repair/maintenance costs (58%)
  • Reliability (53%)
  • Performance/power (50%)
  • That it’s a new technology (42%)

From the 2013 poll to the 2015 one (conducted in May 2015, among 2,225 adults, with weighted adjustments for age, income, education, and other demographic factors), the percentage with each of those concerns either stayed the same or went up slighty—except for those who called it a new technology.

Men are more likely than women to be interested in electric cars or diesel models. And pure electric vehicles now rank slightly higher in shopper consideration than diesels.

Some generational and regional differences

Older shoppers in both polls were far more concerned about price and range than younger shoppers, and by region, those in the Midwest were considerably more likely to be concerned about the price and range components.

Those polled indicated that they traveled a mean 29.6 miles daily, which is less than the average daily commute distance but more than the average daily distance traveled for adult Americans.

With the arrival of a new set of nearly 200-mile pure-electric models expected in a couple of years—models like the Chevrolet Bolt, the Tesla Model 3, and a second-generation Nissan Leaf, for instance—these results underscore a point: that even if range concerns are quelled, concerns about the price of electric vehicles, as well as some other unfounded concerns, may linger for a much longer time.

A great many consumers likely perceive EVs to be more expensive than they actually are, once one accounts for the Federal tax credit and possibly state incentives. For most people, gasoline seems cheap enough and pricing out an EV just isn't on their radar.

Further, EV range numbers have only scarcely improved in the last few years. It's telling that, at least in the US, the Tesla Model S has been the top selling EV in recent months in spite of its high price tag. It's the only EV with enough range and charging infrastructure to fully replace an ICE for many buyers. Most people don't want to chance not having enough range for a given day's driving. They don't want to worry about having to make unplanned trips. They're not early adopters, they aren't inclined to change their lifestyle at all, and they want to just get in the car and drive.

Following the release of "affordable" 200+ mile models, we should see marked improvements in consumer sentiment toward EVs. For many, it'll be comforting and normal to pull in the driveway at the end of the day with 100+ miles of range still left in the "tank".

It's a shame to see so many unfounded concern rank so high. Price is very competitive and maintenance/repair costs are much lower than traditional cars. And performance is in many ways better than comparable ICE vehicles.

I'd say the only real concern is range but obviously some mistaken beliefs are a problem.

abasile said:
A great many consumers likely perceive EVs to be more expensive than they actually are, once one accounts for the Federal tax credit and possibly state incentives. For most people, gasoline seems cheap enough and pricing out an EV just isn't on their radar.

Further, EV range numbers have only scarcely improved in the last few years. It's telling that, at least in the US, the Tesla Model S has been the top selling EV in recent months in spite of its high price tag. It's the only EV with enough range and charging infrastructure to fully replace an ICE for many buyers. Most people don't want to chance not having enough range for a given day's driving. They don't want to worry about having to make unplanned trips. They're not early adopters, they aren't inclined to change their lifestyle at all, and they want to just get in the car and drive.

Following the release of "affordable" 200+ mile models, we should see marked improvements in consumer sentiment toward EVs. For many, it'll be comforting and normal to pull in the driveway at the end of the day with 100+ miles of range still left in the "tank".

Totally concur. Additionally as gas prices go up (as they usually do), interest in EVs will rise. I don't think the average buyer gives a rip about the green aspect of an EV. It all comes down to dollars and cents.

Until prices come down to where they are close to comparable with ICEs/hybrids without tax _credits_ (as opposed to rebates), initial price combined with range will continue to be a major factor in limiting those who can afford and who qualify to buy a BEV, as opposed to those that don't consider them for other (sometimes specious) reasons. A $25k MSRP/200 mile range BEV is one thing; a $35kMSRP before a $7.5k tax credit//200 mile range BEV is something else entirely.

Is it a problem if the interest level is 20 times the sales level ?

I don't think so. The current focus should be on converting those 20 % interested to sales.

Rest of them will get on the bandwagon if EVs can get 20% market share.

There are two reasons why my interest in EV is stagnating. Range & economically not practical for a low mileage driver like myself.

I’ve been researching / still thinking about replacing my Honda Fit with a Leaf. I think I understand & am strongly attracted to most of the pluses of a BEV - low noise, good acceleration, minimal maintenance, no stops at gas station/lower fuel costs... Actually I would really like to get one. But range concern & payback are holding me back.

With Internet rumors suggesting that the 2016 will have a range of about 105 miles, I’m quite confident would meet 95% of all my needs. That said, with me only driving about 7K miles / yr, I am having a hard time making a 2016 pencil out that is likely to be north of 25K after taxes even with the $7.5 tax credit as a smart financial move for me.

On the other hand I see that the prices on the 2015 & used Leafs are dropping like a rock (Kicking Tires recently reported that the Nissan Leaf is depreciating faster on a percentage basis than any other car in America). My 5 year old Fit still has 75% of its original value while a 3 yr old Leaf has < 50% of its original value even after deduct

This miserably resale is probably at least in part due to in anticipation of the 2016 coming out soon & it’s increased range. It means used Leafs are a pretty good buy. However I regularly make a make jaunt of 70 & 90 miles a couple of times a month that would give me range anxiety with a 2013-14 model, especially considering the battery degradation of an 3+ yr old BEV.

Back