Bumper Removal Directions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agkirk

The wiring to my Charge Door solenoid has been damaged by a rabbit and I need to remove the charge connector door solenoid with its plastic shroud.

It does not appear to be an easy task!

Does anyone have any documents/drawings from a service manual regarding this repair that could be shared? I have been able to remove two sheet metal screws and a 10mm bolt from the solenoid shroud but the assembly has not been freed up. There appear to be 3-4 pop rivets holding the assembly in place but no way to access them without removing the front bumper.
Any guidance would be appreciated as I've been at this for several days/weeks. :roll:

Your best solution would be to buy the service manual so you have it for this and future issues that come up. I have the manual for the 2011 (subscribed on Nissan's web site to download it) and found it very useful. The charge port on the 2015 is different so the 2011 manual will not help. I have not yet purchased the 2015 manual. Good luck--the solenoid-operated charge port door makes me a little nervous about wiring issues making it difficult to open.

Gerry

Agkirk said:
The wiring to my Charge Door solenoid has been damaged by a rabbit and I need to remove the charge connector door solenoid with its plastic shroud.

It does not appear to be an easy task!

Does anyone have any documents/drawings from a service manual regarding this repair that could be shared? I have been able to remove two sheet metal screws and a 10mm bolt from the solenoid shroud but the assembly has not been freed up. There appear to be 3-4 pop rivets holding the assembly in place but no way to access them without removing the front bumper.
Any guidance would be appreciated as I've been at this for several days/weeks. :roll:
A little preventative maintenance on my first dead 12 V battery experience : http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=16789 , sorry... no pictures.

Service manual on CD is $210+. I am looking for a less expensive solution.

Agkirk said:
Service manual on CD is $210+. I am looking for a less expensive solution.
I can't vouch for the site, but there are several sites selling service manuals in PDF format.

http://diyservicemanuals.com/nissan-leaf-2014-service-repair-manual-download/

http://www.selectmanuals.com/nissan-leaf-service-manual-p-1615.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-OFFICIAL-FACTORY-REPAIR-SERVICE-WORKSHOP-MANUAL-/191712798760?fits=Make%3ANissan|Model%3ALeaf&hash=item2ca2f92828&vxp=mtr

Thanks for the links. The first is for a 2014 manual, the next only goes to 2012 and the last link is not for the Leaf. I think the 2014 had the electric latch release so that may be may best bet. Can someone confirm the 2014 has an electric solenoid activated door release. In 2015 that door can also be released by the key fob.

Thanks ElectricEddy, that is the info I should have gotten from the Nissan Chat person. Any idea how really big the Service Manual is in .pdf? I work off a Verizon JetPack on my cell phone account so size does make a difference, to me. :D

Agkirk said:
Thanks ElectricEddy, that is the info I should have gotten from the Nissan Chat person. Any idea how really big the Service Manual is in .pdf? I work off a Verizon JetPack on my cell phone account so size does make a difference, to me. :D

Go sit in a Starbucks for a few hours and use their WiFi if necessary. IIRC for your $20 you're buying 24 hours worth of access, so you'll want to get them down the same day you subscribe.

The 2011 manual was 84MB and 51 PDF files. Though I might have downloaded them by section, it's been a while and I really don't remember. If so, there were 16 sections.

Agkirk said:
107 MB plus 270 MB if you download all the NTBs

OK, I'm having trouble getting to the entire service manual pdf . I can see the first section of 8 pages but the left side bookmarks get me nowhere. I've got to be doing something wrong, but what?

Got it figured out. Did what I was told and installed Adobe ACROBAT READER 9.5 and all is good.

Anyone know where the OBD II or CAN codes can be found?

e: Found the DTC codes spread throughout the Maintenance Manual but no central point from which to look them up easily. The Leaf Spy Pro reads the codes and there is a bit of a hint at the end of each code as to which section of the manual they would be found. Some sections are 200+ pages!

Biggest discovery was that the 2015 Nissan Leaf manual, dated April 2015, has a section on the removal of the charge door actuator. Unfortunately it must be for another year as it appears to be on the drivers side of the door. Mine is on the passenger side. Oh well, now I have a $20 maintenance manual with lots of interesting information!

e2: Rotated the page to be upside down and I take back previous statement. It is correct, who knew you could read a page upside down! But alas, in order to get to the charge door actuator it appears the front bumper fascia has to be removed. A daunting task which requires two people due to the size of the fascia.
I can't figure out how the plastic shroud around the actuator is held in place. I have removed the two sheet metal screws that appear to hold it in place, as well as a 10mm bolt that probably holds the actuator solenoid to the charge door back panel. It is in an awkward position behind the fascia but I can get my big old hands around it and pry it away from its mounting position.

I'll keep working on it.
Thanks to all who suggested the service manual and most importantly how to link to it.

Finished this repair by having the dealer remove the front fascia, charge door and latch solenoid. I then repaired the wires by splicing two new wires using solder and heat shrink tubing. Reused the original connectors. The dealer charged a flat $125 to remove and reinstall the fascia and solenoid. Took about 40 minutes to remove the fascia and 30 to reinstall. The fascia and solenoid are attached using about 20 fasteners and because of the size and flex of the fascia it is a two man lift. Mechanic had never repaired this part so it was a bit of a learning experience and he observed there seemed to be no other way to remove the solenoid. Price of the solenoid is $67 + shipping off http://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-actuator-asmy-c~65760-3nk0a.html Not sure that includes the wires!

Two poor quality photos of the solenoid.
Ot1yTXbm.jpg
w6gNHm4m.jpg

Back