2016 Leaf goes on sale in US

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Nissan says the 2016 Leaf is now on sale in the US.

Not sure where it is available. Anyone seen one at a dealership ?

http://insideevs.com/2016-nissan-leaf-now-sale-u-s/

I find it disturbing that the S will have a lesser battery capacity warranty. That implies Nissan expects to realize a significant savings, and therefore that they expect a significant percentage of S owners to fall below the capacity threshold between 60,000 and 100,000 miles. If that is not their expectation then they are idiots for constructing the warranty coverage in such a way as to imply it.

I just went to http://www.nissanusa.com and displayed new Leaf inventory for dealerships within 500+ miles (which I took to be the entire US since the last page showed Leafs in Hawaii). The earliest MY shown was 2013 (total of 4), then 2014 (total of 13), and lastly 2015 (total of 2832). But this adds up to 2849, whereas a caption indicated a grand total of 2850 Leafs were being displayed. If I scrolled thru them all perhaps there was in fact a single 2016, and the software had not been updated yet to select 2016?

Kind of harsh?

What do you think the going retail rate is for 6 additional kWh of battery pack capacity, with all the associated engineering and manufacturing changes that go along with it?

$300 per kWh? $400?

An extra $1700 or $2100 doesn't seem harsh to me at all....Not to mention there are other features being added to the car as well...

evnow said:
OT.

Now, back on topic.

You started a thread on the topic of the InsideEV article, which discusses, among other things, the warranty of the 2016 LEAF. This is in the text of the very article you linked to:

Nissan also provides a limited warranty against battery capacity loss below nine bars of capacity as shown on the vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge for the first eight years or 100,000 miles for SV and SL models, and for the first five years or 60,000 miles for S models.

Someone discusses the warranty, and you say,

evnow said:

:roll:

Nubo said:
I find it disturbing that the S will have a lesser battery capacity warranty. That implies Nissan expects to realize a significant savings, and therefore that they expect a significant percentage of S owners to fall below the capacity threshold between 60,000 and 100,000 miles. If that is not their expectation then they are idiots for constructing the warranty coverage in such a way as to imply it.

One might argue that Nissan, on a business level, decided to apply the warranty to the 24kWh pack and not to the model year. The 2016 S is just a means for Nissan to have a model to put the 24kWh pack into, since they have to make them anyway for warranty claims.

The way I see it, my 2013 Leaf SV was $32,100 plus $1,650 for the LED/QC package, totaling $33,750. The $34,200 2016 SV gains the QC package as standard equipment, gains 6kW of battery capacity but loses the LED headlights, all for a $450 premium over my 13 SV. That's not bad.

kubel said:
Nubo said:

One might argue that Nissan, on a business level, decided to apply the warranty to the 24kWh pack and not to the model year. The 2016 S is just a means for Nissan to have a model to put the 24kWh pack into, since they have to make them anyway for warranty claims.

Good point. I was assuming that even the 24kWh pack would be made with the improved materials, but of course that's not necessarily the case. And the smaller pack may lead a harder life regarding SOC cycling, and possibly less "unused" capacity.

Look at the topic of this thread - not the entirety of linked article. If there is a post here I expect that to be about availability of 2016 Leafs. There are other threads to discuss general '16 issues.

Now back on topic.

Nissamn website doesn't let us build a '16 yet.

Geez, take a chill pill! MNL is famous for OT threads...

evnow said:
Look at the topic of this thread - not the entirety of linked article. If there is a post here I expect that to be about availability of 2016 Leafs. There are other threads to discuss general '16 issues.

FWIW, The Nissan website has been updated with info on 2016.

http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/?next=header.vehicles.postcard.vlp.image

TomT said:
Geez, take a chill pill! MNL is famous for OT threads...
You are just making moderating this forum more difficult.

All of us should respect others time - I'm sure people who are interested in getting a '16 and waiting for its arrival would check this thread if there are new posts.

Now, back on topic.

In the other thread, there are a report of some '16s with a CO dealer. Also a report of some '16s in transit.

Is the pricing for the '16 really going to be unchanged from the 2013-2015 models, as I've seen implied? That would make turning mine in and leasing a '16 SV much more appealing.

Nubo said:

your implication of what Nissan is implying concerning their 30 kwh capacity warranty is your opinion and curious as to how you came about thinking that a company would be ok with creating a product that they expected to fail within the warranty period AFTER they extended the terms of the warranty.

AFIC, the implication is reversed.

please explain your POV, I am VERY interested in hearing it

I just went to http://www.nissanusa.com and displayed new Leaf inventory for dealerships within 500+ miles (my last visit being 4 days ago). The earliest MY shown was 2014 (total of 13), then 2015 (total of 2888), and lastly 2016 (total of 88), so I believe this centralized website is a useful tool for showing local 2016 availability.

BTW this adds up to 2989, whereas a caption indicated a grand total of 2994 Leafs were being displayed. The difference may be MY 2013 models (and earlier) are no longer being shown, which before showed 4 for MY 2013 and 1 unidentified (which may be MY 2012, and not 2016 as I had previously speculated).

Back