Report: Nissan will offer a range-extended EV in 2016

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firetruck41

The title of this post is the title of the article I linked. The article actually says it will be revealed/announced in 2016, so I imagine it would not be in production for a year or two...

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/13/nissan-range-extended-ev-2016/

No, the market likes range and options...

But it is unlikely I'd consider a Nissan over something like the Volt if I was in that market... I'd give the nod to something with more maturity and development...

smkettner said:
I would far prefer to have the cost of the "range extender" added to the battery capacity.
Market sure loves gasoline.....

TomT said:

But it is unlikely I'd consider a Nissan over something like the Volt if I was in that market... I'd give the nod to something with more maturity and development...

smkettner said:
I would far prefer to have the cost of the "range extender" added to the battery capacity.

OK I want the option of a Range Extender or Larger Battery.

smkettner said:
TomT said:

smkettner said:

OK I want the option of a Range Extender or Larger Battery.

I want both :D

Since my housemate drives a Prius PHEV but hates my Leaf, I can understand Nissan's motivation - she may be well in the majority on alternative powertrain perception. I, however, would also prefer a 180-200 mile range BEV with a fast charging option (and actual fast charging stations, which we have yet to get) over the added complexity, maintenance and pollution of a PHEV.

I thought we could already buy these range extenders? :mrgreen:

file.php

TomT said:

Unfortunately one of the things GM didn't develop with the Volt is more interior room, particularly headroom.

Neither is a problem for us!

RonDawg said:
TomT said:
Unfortunately one of the things GM didn't develop with the Volt is more interior room, particularly headroom.

TomT said:
Neither is a problem for us!

I'm not a tall person but I found the Volt's (both the original and the new one) roofline to be too low for comfort. It not only reduces headroom, but in combination with the low seats makes ingress/egress harder. The back seat is particularly bad, and the roofline comes in so low that the hatchback glass is actually what's over your head.

For all its faults, one thing the Leaf did correctly was put a decent seat height along with a high roofline, so ingress/egress is a breeze. It's the most comfortable car I have ever owned/leased. I think the car would have done better if it was restyled a bit and made to look more like a CUV.

RonDawg said:
I'm not a tall person but I found the Volt's (both the original and the new one) roofline to be too low for comfort. It not only reduces headroom, but in combination with the low seats makes ingress/egress harder. The back seat is particularly bad, and the roofline comes in so low that the hatchback glass is actually what's over your head.

For all its faults, one thing the Leaf did correctly was put a decent seat height along with a high roofline, so ingress/egress is a breeze. It's the most comfortable car I have ever owned/leased. I think the car would have done better if it was restyled a bit and made to look more like a CUV.

+1

The high roof line and relatively high driver seat (with manual adjustment in the raised position) make the Leaf comfortable for me. My other vehicles are/were motorcycles, trucks, and SUVs so I was not sure whether I would be comfortable in a Leaf until the drive event came to Phoenix in the fall of 2010 (after I had already placed my order for the 2011). I like the drivetrain of the Volt, but will not consider one because of the low roof line and seating position. I would like to see GM make a 4x4 Tahoe or Suburban with full off road suspension and a larger version of the Volt powertrain to allow electric operation around town or at construction sites with gasoline or diesel engine for long trips and towing.

GerryAZ said:
I would like to see GM make a 4x4 Tahoe or Suburban with full off road suspension and a larger version of the Volt powertrain to allow electric operation around town or at construction sites with gasoline or diesel engine for long trips and towing.

Actually, you can get such a vehicle now from VIA Motors. They order new fullsize trucks, vans, and SUVs from GM directly with a V-6 (rather than a V-8) engine. Upon arrival at their factory, the transmissions are permanently removed, and replaced with an electric motor and a generator setup, with batteries, charging port, and associated electronics added. There is even an option whereby you can power 120 volt and 240 volt appliances with it, enough to even charge another EV!

Not cheap though...plan on spending about double the money of the original version. But you retain the full GM warranty on any un-modified components, and they can be ordered through and serviced at select GM dealers.

I'm sure that was done, partially, for aerodynamics... In any event, we have sat in and driven the 2016 multiple times and it fits us very well...
We hardly every have had anyone in the rear seats of the Leaf (maybe two or three times in 4.5 years) so that is not a big consideration for us...

RonDawg said:

Back